leaking passat - marcus
hi
I have a 98 R reg passat that leaks.Two vw dealers have tried to find the source and with no success.It is not the aircon causing it as it only happens when it rains heavily and it only affect the rear drivers side footwell and is only wet under the carpet any ideas!!!
Re: leaking passat - David W
Marcus,

I don't know tha Passat design well enough to comment but wonder if your dealers had a "leak detector".

These are devices where a sender is placed in the shut up car and a receiver wand is moved round the car to look for leaks.

They must be microwave, ultrasonic or something like that.

If the dealers didn't have one a larger windscreen firm might.

David
Re: leaking passat - Andrew Hamilton
I had that problem but on drivers side. I methodically tracked the water back by seeing the waterstain marks. I turned out to be a seam on the wing which sealed by a perished rubber strip.
I solved it with transprent silicon rubber. This is sticky to apply even using a gun so mask off adjacent paintwork. The advantage was that if not required it could be easily pealed off! Just make sure you get the one that evolves acetic acid (see instructions) as the one that does not is not so rubbery.
Re: leaking passat - Mark S
I work at a VW dealers. This problem is not unknown: water gets in via the heater air intake seals, this is on the left side of the car under the windscreen and contains the pollen filter.Usually the seals need replacing,about 45 minutes work. Problem is that water enters the ECU that controls windows & central locking and also corrodes the wiring loom to this unit.Carpet will be sodden & smelly.We have had to replace ECU,looms & carpet on several cars... £600 plus job. Water usually runs back into rear footwell. Sorry I come bearing bad news!