Leather rim steering wheel - repair - Dulwich Estate
I collected my brand new Audi a month ago, checked it over and all was fine. A week later I found a nick (cut/deep scratch) around 15mm long at the bottom of the steering wheel on the side away from the driver. It's in a position that you can't see and your hands don't usually pass over. I only found it while fiddling about while in a traffic queue.

It was probably caused by a careless packer, fitter or delivery driver. It's not a manufacturing fault.

Anyway, dealer says OK we can fix it for you. We know a firm that can make it "as good as new".

I don't know of any such thing. Does anyone know?

I could hold out for a new wheel, but knowing main dealers they'll probably fit it wrongly, screw up the air bag or whatever.

I could just leave it alone, but being a brand new car I probably want it looking/feeling right.

Leave it? Fix it? Fit new steering wheel?
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - Adam {P}
Hi DE,
Given that you can't see it, I'd be tempted to leave it. However, knowing exactly how you feel about it being a new car, I'd want it fixed as well. F

For something you can't see, changing the steering wheel seems like a lot of unecessary hassle.
--
Adam
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - Roger Jones
I'd like to know the details of the firm that can get it "as good as new". Seriously, I'm beginning to look around to get the steering wheel of my Golf VR6 refurbished.
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - volvoman
I'm not saying this is how they'd do it but I've seen demonstrated a number of products which are use to fill/patch small damaged areas in both cloth and leather. Colour matching may be the hardest thing but in this case even if it's not quite 100% you aren't going to see it are you. Changing the wheel seems a bit OTT.
I suppose all I really want is the filling of the scratch in the leather to be pretty good so I don't ever feel it with my hands -not that I would anyway without looking for it to be honest.

I will get back to the dealer, ask a few questions and probably go ahead. I will let you know the details when I get them.
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - SjB {P}
I could hold out for a new wheel, but knowing main dealers they'll probably fit it wrongly, screw up the air bag or whatever.

A new wheel is a bit wasteful and OTT, but I would be surprised if a good repair (one you can't feel) could be made without removing the wheel, given that the damage is on the reverse side.

I would still try and get it repaired though, as I find trivial things like this annoying way beyond their real gravity of importance! I once had a car with a leather wheel that had a small imperfection on the reverse side - a bit like a facial zit to be exact! - exactly where my left hand rested. I found myself picking at it every time I crawled in traffic until eventually it'd gone! Heaven!
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - Dude - {P}
Whilst D.E. is reasonably lucky in that this damage is not easily visible, I wonder if the same repair experts could also invisibly fix a torn leather seat.?? If so I would appreciate their full details. Many thanks.
Leather rim steering wheel - repair - SjB {P}
I had Chips Away round the other day to see if they could repair a parking dent to SWMBO\'s 306 documented elsewhere on this site. They couldn\'t, but we did start talking about their other services. The (franchise) operator who came to me included in this list repairs to leather and vinyl seats.

From their website, this seems to be so.

Vinyl Repairs
Tears in both soft and hard vinyl, for example, holes where mobile phones had been fitted, tears from car radio removals.

Leather & Carpets
Again a perfect colour match and permanent repair to all types of carpets and upholstery in cars, homes and businesses.

www.chipsaway.co.uk
I've emailed the dealer with some questions about the proposed steering wheel repair and am waiting for his reply. Will report back.