Replacing Honda CR-V? - Happy Blue!
As many back roomers will know, I sold my beloved Volvo S80 to buy a new Hyundai Trajet for SWMBO who has just produced Espada Child #3.

I have taken over her CR-V which is 2001 2.0 Auto. Its OK. I'm not really that comfortable (after a Volvo who is?) and there are fewer creature comforts. However I do like sitting a little higher, especially as I am in and out of the car all day because of my role as a valuation surveyor. Its far easier to get in and out of a car with higher seats. The thing that bugs me is the fuel economy. It's awful. I think I'm getting no more than 21mpg. No better than the Volvo which was a 3.0litre. The Volvo would go for about 300 miles, but because of the smaller tank i'm filling up every 200 miles. Its driving me mad.

So..if I change the car, I would still want auto and to sit higher (4x4 is unnecessary), but would like a car that soes at least 35mpg which would save me about £1000pa in fuel bills.

Am I crazy to change; should I simply hang on or if I did replace it, what would you recommend.

The CR-V is about 3 years and four months old, has done only 11,500 miles so I reckon is worth on a private sale about £11,000. Any recommendations/suggestions/advice.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Replacing Honda CR-V? - Chad.R
How about a Hyundai Santa Fe/Tucson CRTD auto? (Though I'm not 100% sure whether the Tucson diesel comes with a auto option) Should be very similar to the CR-V but with around 35mpg average. The price to change shouldn't be too great - around 6-7K, assuming you get £11K for the CRV.

You could then change you moniker to "Hyundai Family" :-)

Or wait a little longer for the CRV diesel.......

Chad.
Replacing Honda CR-V? - Avant
Honda is about to put their much-praised 2.2 diesel engine into the CR-V: also possibly in the new FR-V whih will have 2 rows of 3 seats as with the Fiat Multipla (now a Multipla would make your clients notice - always supposing it didn\'t break down!).

If you bought a new Honda the extra cost would take a long time to pay off, but you\'d have a 3-year guarantee to set against that.

Scenic, Touran, Zafira diesels? All high up but economical. Or hang on till the new Mercedes A-class comes out with a 2.0 diesel, if you don\'t need the space now that you have the Trajet. The current A-class isn\'t powerful enough for me, but you sit high and very comfortably.

If you didn\'t want to pay more than you get for the CR-V, there\'s always the Citroen Picasso. Nothing like as solid as a Volvo or a Honda, but some people on this forum swear by Citroens (rather than at them).

I think Fords of Winsford are not far from you - they were very well written up recently as a source of a wide choice of nearly-new cars at low prices.

Hope this helps.
Replacing Honda CR-V? - PhilW
"sit higher (4x4 is unnecessary), but would like a car that soes at least 35mpg which would save me about £1000pa in fuel bills."

I daren't even mention a Berlingo after what you said last time!!!
New diesel CR-V sounds a good bet though

Replacing Honda CR-V? - Happy Blue!
Phil - What did I say about a Berlingo? I think they're great.

Only problem with most of the cars mentioned is the lack of an auto option on the diesel engine. I agree with the Tucson - its a great car and does diesel auto - and the Merc A-Class Mk2. Can't think of anything else though?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Replacing Honda CR-V? - PhilW
Sorry E - confused you with another contributor. Too much red again - I blame the capacity of the Berlingo to transport vast amounts back from France!