Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for the ' - Paul
For the average punter, running a second hand motor, say 10,000 miles per year, over 3 years, which would be the cheaper to run, say a 2 or 2.2 litre turbo diesel or a 1.8 petrol{similar performance}.

I am currently thinking of changing one of my cars. I cannot decide if I should buy a diesel or not. I've always owned petrol engined cars.

A 3 year old diesel tends to sell for about £1,000 more than an equivalent pertol model {that is they had the same list price when new.}

Diesel costs 6 to 7p more per litre, potential fuel pump / turdo replacement costs to worry about, more frequent serviving etc., tend to be ex-fleet / rep cars, high miles. Pertol engines tend to last longer too? - less stressed?

Seen a Volvo 940, { LPG converted} for sale - appeared to be a good price too. How reliable are LPG systems / any potentially expensive pit falls?

Any sugesetions please on petrol, diesel or LPG and make of car - medium / large hatch / estate
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Miller
Unless you are intending to do over at least 15000 miles a year it is pointless buying a diesel as any saving gained in extra MPG is eaten up by the increased initial purchase cost, higher and more frequent servicing costs and the difference in price between petrol and diesel.

However, diesel engines tend to be capable of higher milages than petrol ones, I think they are more able to take abuse and neglect from careless owners.
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - David W
Miller is right, on paper it is often possible to prove a case for petrols. In reality a diesel will often win year in year out. There some models that only really have a second hand market as a diesel. Not just a case of how much less for a petrol but is there any sale at all.

Not keen on LPG yet, suits monster petrol 4WDs which would be unsaleable otherwise though.

As for .......diesel engines tend to be capable of higher milages than petrol ones, I think they are more able to take abuse and neglect from careless owners......

Well I think it is correct to say folk think they will take abuse, the reality is a modern diesel car engine is a lightweight well engineered device that deserves care.

David
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Andy Bairsto
One thing people forget is the insurance inplications on gas vehicles,In Germany where they are now becoming popular insurancecompanies are having second thoughts about insuring these vehicles and the emergancy services want them banned.
Diesel, Petrol or LPG? - David Lacey
Diesel without a doubt

Only thing that worries me slightly is the current price of Diesel itself.

David
Re: Diesel, Petrol or LPG? - Alvin Booth
I changed to diesel about 12 years ago and currently have two. I couldn't imagine going back to petrol unless something unforeseen happened.
Yes diesel is currently more expensive but the mpg is considerably better.
Servicing costs higher?? I have read this many times before but I'm not sure why this would be. My wifes Maestros which has a Perkins turbo diesel engine and is eight years old with 60K on the clock has only had a cambelt replaced in its life apart from oil changes and filters. It still has the origional glow plugs.
But perhaps the most satisfying aspect of diesels is their low down torque which means you can trickle along in traffic in 3rd gear and pull strongly from less than 1000rpm with little gear changing.
However its horses for courses...
alvin
Re: Diesel, Petrol or LPG? - murdo
hear hear,

the futures bright.... the futures diesel

more reliable, stronger more effecient and by far a better driving expereinc.

Diesel was custom designed for our congested little island, nothing feels better than putting the hammer down and hearing the diesal roar before hurtling past numerous petrols on a wild under/overtake on the motorway, its a very nice drive, cost, speed, torque & reliability diesal wins everytime, the only thing petrol has over diesal is sound volume, a petrol is quite and thats it!, diesal is the buissness and i take great delight cutting up boy racers in my diesal
Re: Diesel, Petrol or LPG? - Moosh
And no spark plugs to replace!
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Moosh
Buy a diesel this time and compare it to the petrol car your presently running. Try to get one with a modern direct injection engine. Then you may be able to let us know on the site which car is best?
LPG is not worth the effort.
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Brian
Getting rid of the spark plugs and leads is the best bit.
I spent the first morning of our honeymoon witing for the AA to dry out our petrol car.
I've run diesels for the last 15 years or more, so long as you have a good battery it will start every time, regardless of weather conditions.
Fuel consumption two thirds of a petrol and the cost per mile down by an extra third on Continental holidays.
OK, noisier on idle, but when moving you get a satisfying rumble rather than a whine.
Can't see any advantage in going back to petrol, to be honest.
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Guy Lacey
Blah, blah, blah, blah, lah - LPG, LPG, LPG.

MY INSURANCE DIDN'T CHANGE ONE TINY BIT WHEN I CONVERTED MY 10yr OLD GOLF TO LPG! OK?

Get a decent second hand motor for £2-3k and convert to LPG for another £1k. I did and I've never looked back.

"LPG" is not worth the effort - eh? Sacrificing driveability, servicing your car every 6,000 miles, giving kids asthma, buying the most expensive road fuel, suffering greater engine noise/vibration and *stinking* of diesel at the slightest whiff of this dermatitis giving, suspect skin sensitising skin carcinogen is the FUTURE and WORTH THE EFFORT?????

Hmmmmmm.

Rant over.
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - ChrisR
Blimey Guy, I think your pressure release valve has blown. ;-)

Chris
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Moosh
"I CONVERTED MY 10yr OLD GOLF TO LPG!"
What a way to blow £1k.
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Dan J
The Volvo 940 would be an excellent proposition. I am unable to comment on the LPG side of things (though even if GB does lump on a bit more tax, you'll have had you're money's worth 4 times over in the next couple of years given LPG has actually gone down in the last year or so!) but the Volvo will be an excellent motor PROVIDING it has a good service history.

Keep the oil changed in it never more than every 10,000 miles (I'd aim for 5k personally) and you should see 400,000 easy miles from the engine and everything else is pretty reliable.

You'll also have one of the safest cars to be driving around in! They are a bit wallowy (don't buy one if being able to drive one round 90 degree bends at 60mph is your cuppa tea though is poss with a throttle blip :o) ) but it's kinda like driving a three piece suite around...
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Guy Lacey
Eh Moosh?

It cost me £500 and as I do 20k miles a year it has already paid for itself and I save £30/week on fuel. That's 15 extra pints a week.

Who's blowing his money now?
Re: Diesel, pertrol or LPG ? Which is best for t - Mark (lost in Brazil)

> It cost me £500 and as I do 20k miles a year it has already paid for itself and I save £30/week on fuel. That's 15 extra pints a week.
>
> Who's blowing his money now?

2 quid a pint ? I'm not sure I can afford to live in the UK anymore !!!