Is a 95 N Merecedes E220 estate good buy - Daz
Hi, I'm looking to trade in my 96 N Omega for a 95 N Mercedes 220E Estate with 89k on the clock and full service history.

Can anyone give me any advice on this car please? The car is up for £3650 with 12 months mot and tax.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Is a 95 N Merecedes E220 estate good buy - Roger Jones
Do a forum search on "W124" and you'll find the well informed Aprilia, among others, full of praise for the early to mid-1990s E-class. I would agree, as I'm on my second E320 Coupé. Well built, solid, reliable, refined, durable -- fully capable of half a million miles and more. I saw a post recently on the MB Club site of someone getting rid of a more recent E-class in order to buy a W124.
Is a 95 N Merecedes E220 estate good buy - Aprilia
Very good car at what seems a fair price. By this time Merc. had got the W124 very well sorted indeed.

Things to check:

1. The 220 uses the later generation of MB engines - not quite as trouble-free as the legendary M102/103's so check for head gasket failure (feel around the head-block join for oil leaks).

2. Check the rear self-leveling suspension (pump on engine - pipes to shocks at back) - costs and arm and a leg if it goes wrong.

3. They are not particularly powerful cars - so not really a good towcar in 220 form - if its been used for towing then check out the autobox for signs of overheating.

4. Aircon (assuming it has it) needs to be checked - aircon reliability has long been an MB weak spot.

Rust is not yet a problem with these cars (unless accident repaired) and the rest of the car, suspension etc. should be sound if the mileage is genuine.