Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - Ged
I left the lights on in my Peugeot 306 and drained the battery. I jump started it and it drove perfectly normally. However, once I parked it I could not restart it. There is power but when the key is turned there is not a sound as if the battery were dead. The red alarm indicator light is permanently on - on the top left of the radio -which indicates the alarm/immobiliser is on. I suspect that the immobiliser has been activated by the battery going flat as an anti-tamper device. My key fob can open and close the door but the alarm light will not go out. I have tried putting the key in the in ignition and pressing the alarm switch off on the right of the steering column.

Any ideas?

{Moved from Discussion. DD}
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - Xantiargh!
I had a Rover once that cut out at a service station on the motorway. Radio, lights, etc all worked, but when you turned the key there was just a click sound from the engine bay and nothing else happened.
The car would jump start fine and would run fine, but everytime it was stopped would require bump starting to get going.

Replacing the battery solved the problem, I was surpised the starter motor didn't even attempt to turn....
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - Xantiargh!
Oh yeah, on my citroen there is a key switch under the bonnet (right hand side near windscreen) that disables the alarm (don't think it has an immobiliser).

Might be something similar on your Pug that would rule out the immobiliser?
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - Adam {P}
I'm not a mechanic by any means but does the light normally flash? I only ask because it could signify that the car needs to learn the key again.

No idea if this is right though
Adam
I have a key switch as well and it does not help whichever way I turn it. Thanks
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - Number_Cruncher
Hi Ged,

If you first switch on your headlamps, and then go as if to start the car, what happens?

If the headlamps go very dim, or go out, then your battery has failed, or has a high resistance connection between it and the car's electrical system.

If they don't dim at all, then, for some reason or other, the starter isn't been switched in to the circuit.

number_cruncher
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - solara
To bypass the immobiliser.
Disconnect battery, re-connect battery and quickly press and hold the alarm button on the steering column for several secs.
However, if your alarm has given up the ghost, none of this may help :-)
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - IanT
My brother told me (so I haven't got full details of what happened) that he couldn't start an L-reg 306 after it had been standing for about three weeks. He called the AA, who diagnosed an immobiliser fault.

(Possibly related to a flat/low battery after being stood, but I can't confirm that).

The AA man jump-started the car and instructed my brother to drive straight to the nearest Peugeot dealer, and make sure he didn't stall on the way, or it wouldn't start again.

The Peugeot dealer charged £60 to permanently bypass the immobiliser. No subsequent immobiliser/starting trouble. The battery wasn't changed.

Ian
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - IanT
"... The battery wasn't changed ..."

Correction.

He says the battery was swapped about two weeks after the incident. Strengthening the case that flat batteries and immobiliser problems go hand-in-hand.

Ian
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - DL
306 alarms eh? How nice.....they're a pain in the proverbial.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
An update. Some of those who replied seemed to have correctly identified the problem. I have resolved it by taking the battery out and recharging it overnight. When I started it up the alarm did go off but the keys were able to disable it. Even though I had driven over 20 miles I think that the battery was not recharging properly by just driving. There was enough power to turn on the display lights but somehow not to turn off the alarm/immobiliser. Thanks for everyone?s input.
Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - madf
If a 20 mile drive (motorway or town?) was not enough to recharge the battery, you may have an alternator drive belt which is loose/slipping (noise? when starting)/or about to break.

madf

Peugeot 306 XSI L Reg - John_PugXSI_8v

i recently bought a pu6 306 2.0l 8v xsi p-reg. i cant get it started at all. theres oil in the spark plugs an its used a fair bit of water aswell. dono wats up,can any1 help? it has bn recently servied an it was goin for bout a wk although it did struggle in the mornins but now it wont fire up even on the jump leads??