Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Ford Dagenham
Hi

I found this on ebay its quite silly

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...g

They say it :-
This product is guaranteed to upgrade your car.

1) BOOST YOUR ENGINE POWER UP TO 30%
2) REDUCES TOXIC CO & HC EXHAUST EMISSION UP TO ZERO
3) SAVE YOUR ENERGY BILL UP TO 20%
4) REDUCE ENGINE NOISE AND VIBRATION
5) REDUCE CARBON DEPOSIT IN ENGINE
6) IMPROVE ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND EFFICIENCY
7) EXTEND ENGINE LIFE
8) REDUCE MAINTENANCE COST

How can it cut maintenance bills do the garages go mad when they see this and cut 20% off your bills.

How can it cut vibration iam amazed.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - patently
And if you take it with a glass of water then I bet it does wonders for your love life, too...
Hello Patently

What i cannot understand is, How can something like that stop engine vibration is that not engine mount related.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Err...

Smoother combustion reducing engine vibration at source?

Better fuel/air mixing doing the same?

Or maybe it does nothing of the sort? ;-)

(I'm not a mechanic either!)
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Cardew
And if you take it with a glass of water then
I bet it does wonders for your love life, too...

Mmm not sure if reduced vibration helps your love life
Mmm not sure if reduced vibration helps your love life

Ah but you have to balance that against a power hike of 30% and reduction in carbon deposits.
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Dan J
Please let me know if any of you would be prepared to buy these. If I hear enough interest I'd be delighted to set up a website flogging you all 15 pence worth of magnet for anywhere between 5 and 50 quid.

I must also tell the guys here in vehicle development about it because they've been looking at all these daftly expensive systems such as FSI to lower fuel economy - we can save the company by installing these and overtaking all the other brands!
Please let me know if any of you would be prepared to buy these.

Afraid not. My suspicion is that my option 3 applies...
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - PhilW
"2) REDUCES TOXIC CO & HC EXHAUST EMISSION UP TO ZERO"

Doesn't that mean it is not reduced at all, or even increases it?? 'cos it could reduce it by minus 10% which means increase by 10%..........I think!!!
I suspect that this applies to all the claims!!
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - THe Growler
These things keep coming out over the years and are generally proven to be a crock.
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Stuartli
It's a scam that's been going on almost since the motor car was invented.

Amazingly some people still fall for it....

The best methods of reducing fuel consumption are numerous and including leaving your car on the driveway, not accelerating hard and then having to stop 200 yards down the road for traffic lights, easing off the right foot once you've reached the required speed, not keeping the fuel tank filled to the brim on local trips, ensuring your vehicle is regularly serviced etc etc.

But it's certainly not from fly by night gizmos.
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - scotty
Stuartli

I follow all you say except for "not keeping the fuel tank filled to the brim on local trips". How does that work?

Cheers
Les
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - BrianW
A full tank adds weight that has to be accelerated and braked, thus increasing fuel consumption/brake wear.
BrianW has beaten me to it...:-)
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - GrumpyOldGit
A full tank adds weight that has to be accelerated and
braked, thus increasing fuel consumption/brake wear.

There is a counter argument that says that keeping the tank full reduces the surface area of exposed fuel, thereby reducing loss through the breather by evaporation.
"There is a counter argument that says that keeping the tank full reduces the surface area of exposed fuel, thereby reducing loss through the breather by evaporation"

Unless the tank tapers bottom to top, surely the surface area would be roughly the same whether the tank is 1/4 or 3/4 full?

On the other hand, on a hot day will not a small amount of fuel warm up faster from airflow or the exhaust heat and therefore evaporate more.
keeping the tank full reduces the surface area of exposed fuel

Only if its absolutely brim full, surely? Which it won't be for very long.

RAF practice is to leave aircraft parked overnight with full tanks, to stop condensation in the air space above the fuel from contaminating the fuel. It also means the fireworks are better if Johnny foreigner attacks.
>>It also means the fireworks are better if Johnny foreigner attacks.>>

Wouldn't be much use dashing out to fight Johnny Foreigner's rapid advance if you are faced with having to fill the fuel tank first...:-)

Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - scotty
A full tank adds weight that has to be accelerated and
braked, thus increasing fuel consumption/brake wear.

OK, thanks - that makes sense - I was trying to think of something far more esoteric.
The oil companies have known about these things for years, but have bribed the car manufacturers not to fit them. That covers the dealers' discounts.
And the Government has backhanded the car manufacturers as well to avoid revenues from fuel duty going down. That's why they spent so much money propping up British Leyland.

Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - SlidingPillar
If they worked, we'd have seen sucessful tests from reliable rolling road operators.

They don't.

We havn't.

Magnets are great for decorating fridge doors, picking up the nuts and bolts you dropped but all work on objects to which there is a magnetic attraction.

Petrol is not magnetisable, full stop.
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Number_Cruncher
Such an amount of "ground breaking research" is claimed by these miracle fuel treatment companies!

I haven't seen any evidence for it in reputable peer reviewed journals. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place? :-)

number_cruncher
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Roberson
I saw something like this at the 2004 Motorshow, which was supposed to allow leaded cars run on unleaded, octanne booster, improve performance, economy..........

All they were, was metal beads in a wire mesh bag which you drop into your fuel tank. When I asked too many questions which insinuated her product couldn't possibly work, the woman at the stand started to get impatient.

They been proven, time and again, that they dont work. Who buys them?
OK, everyone say after me:

Placebo ....

Effect ....

All feel better now?
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - frostbite
One variety of snake oil I haven't seen promoted lately is the 'add to your oil, eliminate friction' variety.

I suppose these things are subject to fashion, like many others.
One variety of snake oil I haven't seen promoted lately is
the 'add to your oil, eliminate friction' variety.

Actually, one of the biggest shifts in patent practice over the last few decades was caused by a Mobil precedent whose title shall remain forever etched on the minds of those poor unfortunates studying for their patent attorney's exams:

"Mobil/Friction Reducing Additive"

Mobil certainly thought you could.
You've really grown to love that word...:-)
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - budu
A friend was offered an expensive franchise to sell one of these devices. I asked the AA technical department about it on her behalf. Their response was something like "Oh no, not another version of this dud product!"
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Civic8
Whats that TV ad..One born every minute?. Not far wrong I think.
I have no Doubt someone will buy it???
--
Was mech1
Hi

Makes me wonder where they get all these magnets

Are they as strong as they say they are

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Makes me wonder where they get all these magnets

You just have to find one. Pull it and all the others come with it...... ;-)

think as N_C mentioned. have you read anywhere that says it works.? I havent. very much doubt you have as well. It may be a Hot topic. but has been as I remember since 1970`s? late sixty`s. I think a case of. if you think it works you buy.maybe why scam is still going strong.as long as gullible people think it works they buy. as long as they do these scams will carry on.
--
Was mech1
Hello Steve

is it just as bad as fuel and oil additives they actually cause major engine damage in the long run.

Will a magnet interfere with moder ecu systems or anything in the department.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hi Martin

I dont recall any magnet fixed to fuel pipe or anywhere else Actualy working. Those that I know having tried the idea and spent £30 plus for one. Reported back complaining it had no affect whatsoever.
I would rather spend it on petrol myself..IIRC they didnt get their money back either.

>>Will a magnet interfere with moder ecu systems or anything in the department
I would think. that would depend whether magnet was shielded or not.Apart from that I am not sure

As far as any additives are concerned. I would not use any as I have seen short term damage.caused by blocked oilways
--
Was mech1
Fuel savers/magnets/ hot topic - Sprice
There's always stuff on ebay that promise to do wonders for your car's performance and economy for little cost. A common one is a power boost 'chip' that claims to add upto 20bhp, but according to the feedback by customers is actually a standard resistor that you can buy from maplins etc. for 20 pence! Heres the link, there are loads though.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1