Noisy diesel - mike
sorry to put a boring subject up ( i like the replies on car owner names)

i've got a toledo 1.9dse (non turbo)

it is very noisy at idle, this goes away when off idle, the auxillary belt tensioner seems to move around a lot at idle. could this be causing the noise?

or is the 1.9 vw engine just noisy at idle.

also
what is the point of the egr valve, it just seems to fill the inlet manifold with a soot/oil mix. what happens if i disconnect it?

newbs
Re: Noisy diesel - ROBIN
The lack lustre performance of your vehicle becomes a little less lacking in lustr.....
Perhaps you can help me,why DO people buy atmo diesels?
I mean,most turbos need chipping to keep up with the traffic,and they usually use less fuel than the atmo versions.
Turbos never seem to be a reliability problem,my Peugeot dealer cant remember when he last replaced one,and if anyone could make a dodgy turbo PSA would buy it.They seem to use recycled electrics after all.
I dont know whether this is the more modern direct injection engine or the older indirect.
Neither were very couth,the modern one seems worse.
I quite like the noise really,I imagine it as an audible two fingers to people who cant see petrol engines as the past and diesel as the future.
If only someone other than BMW would take the design seriously,even the fabled variable inlet turbo was hoicked straight off a 1948 RR jet engine,the Nene,I think,but I should go and look it up.Now we have got injection pressures up a bit perhaps moving away from the rather crude methods of supplying compressed air on demand could be addressed?
Any car sprayer owns kit more technuically advanced,even if only by the provision of a simple reservoir.
Re: Noisy diesel - Ian Cook
ROBIN wrote:
>
> Perhaps you can help me,why DO people buy atmo diesels?

Robin

I've had three atmo diesels (I still have the C15D van) and the answer is fairly simple. They are more flexible - not everyone needs out and out performance.

They are usually a little lower geared which makes them ideal for local driving. Yes they are a bit noisier on a motorway, but it depends on what you need the vehicle for.

The C15D pulls away in second gear quite comfortably, and then slips in to fourth.

When all diesels are direct injection turbos, like my Xantia HDi, then the answer will be different because this engine has the best of both worlds - performance and flexibility.

Ian
Re: Noisy diesel - mike
because it was there, and there weren't any turbo's at the auction.

agreed turbo's are much better, but we can't always get what we want!

so what does the egr contribute ( or take away)
Re: Noisy diesel - Dan J
Well, my petrol Cavalier was running a little rough at constant revs and I was told, amongst other things (which were sorted) that a likely contributor was the exhaust gas recirc valve. My local Vauxhall dealer recommended it was replaced but off the record I was told by the guy actually working on my car (for another reason) that I'd be better off "just disconnecting the bloody thing". I asked for advice on here and was told by one of the Tuneup guys that it might have implications for the catalytic converter but not necessarily so. Given a new EGR valve was over a hundred quid I thought sod it and tried disconnecting it. Whole new lease of life - the car now runs like a dream at constant revs and I have kept an eye on the exhaust which is still almost silver like it was before.

All it really does it pass some of the exhaust back into the engine when the engine is not being "pushed". However clean the engine there will still be muck passed back into the combustion chambers at times by this valve so it is really only there for environmental reasons. I reckon if the engine was in bad tune and you had a cat then it could shorten the life of it but otherwise give it a go. Am sure it is very similar for diesels as petrol in this instance (though really diesels are likely to be worse affected by the EGR!).

So, if you don't have a cat it can't hurt to try running the car without the valve connected but I'd recommend caution if you do though doesn't mean it isn't worth disconnecting.

Dan
Re: Noisy diesel - Stuart B
> what is the point of the egr valve,

To add a little info exhaust gas recirculation is a technique used in a number of combustion systems, not just internal combustion engines. Its a technique whereby substituting some of the air with exhaust gases, peak combustion temperatures are reduced and NOx formation is thus reduced. So its an emissions issue.

Personally I think its a bodge.