Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Happy Blue!
Just bought a new Hyundai Trajet Diesel Auto. Very pleased with so far (100 miles)!

Fuel capacity is supposedly 65 litres according to handbook and marketing literature. The now retired V6 had a 75 litre tank.

The car came with 18 miles on it (it was delivered to us) and about 1/8 tank of fuel. We filled it up and it took 71 litres. It a long time since I used this station for Derv. Any ideas?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Robin Reliant
I had a Lupo with a fuel capacity of 34 litres, but I managed as much as 39 according to the pump. The official figure must allow a bit of breathing space in the tank and doesn't account for briming it up the filler neck.
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Cardew
The fuel capacity of just about every car I have owned has been more than the handbook/sales literature states. Usually by about 5 litres.

The exception was the old VW beetle with a tank without a filler neck. i.e. just a cap at the very top of tank.
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - uk2usa
Please do NOT brim the tank on your diesel car. When you go round a corner some may escape and puts a nice slick on the road which is ideal for killing motorcyclists like myself. It may not be such a big problem on modern fuel systems, but it still happens.
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Vansboy
Thought EVERYONE made sure that their new car had mats n flaps n full tank, included, as per tv prog, Right car - Wrong Car!!

You've probably tanked it to the brim & also filled the supply pipe, to the tank.Watch it doesn't overflow on your driveway, or you'll get the fuel eating your tarmac - or staining the block paving!!

Motorcyclists, won't like it on the road either!!

VB
Actually it was SWMBO who filled teh car up - I've been unwell since the car was delivered and she isn't one to brim it.

It just that on my Volvo S80 (recently departed) I never got more that 60 litres in the 65 litre tank even when supposedly running on fumes.

I will advise the missus not to brim the tank to avoid the old adage ".....she's never had an accident...she's seen thousands..."

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - malteser
There's a hidden button at the top of the filler tube on my Fabia tdi. If you depress it while filling you can stuff in about 10 litres extra! Ideal if you find diesel cheaply somewhere!
--
Roger. (in the UK for 3 more days and then back to the sun! )
Just discovered another curiosity.

The fuel guage has not moved since we filled up. It goes up and down with the ignition, but has stayed above the Full mark for over 70 miles of purely urban driving in mainly 2nd and 3rd gear (to get the engine run in).

Could the sender have stuck in the full position?

--
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Mark (RLBS)
No, I'd guess that the extra fuel was explained by something like filling up the filler pipe and that the 70 miles driven so far has been using that fuel and has yet to noticeable take the fuel level below that which the fuel sender believes is full.

Sorry about the rubbish english, but you know what I mean.
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - daveyK_UK
Exact same on the accent, sonata and elantra.
didnt notice it on the getz - maybe the new model range got changed?

How do you find the paintwork on your car?
Are the clips, screws, brackets etc under the bonnet contain the black coated plastic to stop rust?

are you concerned with the safety of your car?

Do you intend to keep it more than the 5year warranty- ie, parts are expensive from dealers and very rare second hand?

i presume you purchased it from bcc - did you part ex, if so did they offer anything decent?

would you not have considered the sedona which is the exact same, just slightly cheaper price, plastics and warranty?
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - volvoman
DKUK - I checked out new Trajets earlier this year and a friend has just got a Sedona - they don't look the same to me although I assume many of the mechanicals are.
Don't know if the Trajet's been revamped since then but IIRC the Sedona has a different (larger) engine, 2+2+3 seat configuration, rear seats which apparently can't be removed and sliding rear doors amongst other things.
Sorry Davey,

Forgot to reply to your message.

We are very happy with the Trajet. It is far more European that the Sedona and I have no need of thirsty 2.5 petrol or 2.9 diesel. Reasonably modern 2.0 CRDT with Auto is fine. Car is well put together - very well in fact.

BCC were fine. Offered me a reasonable px, but I sold the px privately in the end, so was about £600 better off. BCC very nice to deal with. Don't expect to have a problem with parts. Which? say Hyundai are very reliable and with the five year warranty, Hyundai must be confident. Isn't it curious than none of the European makes have responded with an equivalent offer. In the USA, Hyundai have a 10-year warranty!!

--
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - Cardew
In the USA,
Hyundai have a 10-year warranty!!

Whilst I would agree that Hyundai are very reliable, it is 5 years 'Bumper to Bumper' and 10 years/100K on the drive train
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - L'escargot
>>...... over 70 miles of purely urban
driving in mainly 2nd and 3rd gear (to get the engine
run in).

That's a new one on me. Where did you learn about that technique?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Running in technique is a derivative of that found in HJ's FAQs.

It's an easier way to reach the higher revs (i.e. getting the car up to just below 3,000rpm) without doing 75mph past a school at 3:30pm!

If i'm wrong, someone will no doubt tell me...........
--
OK, the needle finally moved today after 150 miles!

I think thats pretty good. The car is brand new (total mileage 183 miles), it being run-in in almost totally urban conditions, restricting the auto box away from top gear. The economy should be pretty dreadful under these conditions and yet it took 150 miles for the car to register a reduction in fuel after the tank had been brimmed.

SWMBO won't be doing it again. There are already tell tale streaks along the bodywork behind the filler flap.
--
they are reliable and well screwed together.
however they are not vehicles you keep for the long term as they rust to easily.

if only they had a better paint quality - would make a world of difference.

was wondering, do they sell hyundai in scandanavia and russia?
curious to how the cars survive in the cold?
i know you have the autobox on your trajet, and i understand the manual box is alot worse, but have you had any trouble with it?
how do you find it?
Davey,

I can't see any problems with the paintwork at all. It seems perfectly well painted. You seem to assume that they will fall apart in five years, but I see loads of four year old mdels near me which are used to cart children around and I have not heard one complaint.

Also, I have not driven one with manual. Again, various friends have them with no complaints, except the 2.0 petrol is a bit slow when fully laden. We have now done about 220 miles in our automatic. It works very well, with smooth changes. When parked on a hill, it is a little hard to get out of Park, but we discovered that we were not putting the 'hand'brake on enough.

Even though it is so tight, I have no complaints over the performance, which is not sparlking away from the lights, but the slug or torque is more than enough to keep you up with the traffic.

--
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - volvoman
I had a good look at half a dozen or so 1-2 year old Trajets and saw no evidence of paint problems or rusting either. What I did see was worn interiors on what were relatively low mileage cars - the cloth seats looked and felt very poor indeed. Like EIII I would have gone for leather for that reason. Also, strangely, the metal surround on the ignition key switch appeared to be suffering from some form of corrosion on all of them.
Didn't notice any undue rattles or squeaks on the 3 cars I test drove and I tend to be very sensitive to those. Although I didn't buy one, in the end it was more to do with things like interior finish and practicality (ie no sliding doors & rear seat movement) than worries about reliability. IMO the 5 year warranty is comprehensive and highly reassuring and if they had a product which better suited my needs I'd happily buy a Hyundai.
Expanding Huyndai Fuel Tank - madux
I remember my father filling up his XJ6 in Spain. The attendants jaw dropped when over 50 litres was squeezed into the tank (Capacity was 11 gallons, but 12 if you filled it right to the brim) 50 litres was a lot in Franco's day, when the only car you could buy in Spain was an off-white SEAT 600.
My father calmly walked around the car and opened the OTHER fuel cap......
I must admit, I was waiting for the punchline! I used to llove switching over tanks in Dad's XJ and watching the needle swing over.
--
Blimey 'Spada, you type fast!
the reason im not entirely sold on hyundai - is form an extensive connection, ownership and knowledge of the company ans the cars.

They are still foar from trouble free.
They do have definate quality problems, and paint work is something they decide this year to improve, however I know of someone who visited the plant in may and the same paint sytem occurs.
Secondly, they have had a long history of problems with gearboxes. The most notable was with the hyiunda accent before 2002. Trying to reduce costs and frustration by their lack of progress, they tried a altered design for the gear box and it simply had problems form the word go.
Hyundais focus is mainly on cost, relaiblitly is important to their developing wolrd and usa sales; however areas such as refinement, wind noise and sound noise - where only talked about for the very first time within the design period last year!
Infact the new kia senato is the first to be designed with sound insulation considerations.

Ok they are well screwed together, far better than sister company kia.

However, they still have gear box issues now such oas the reverse selectors on the getz, accent, sonata and elantra (the ones i know of).
Also, all of these cars havce suffered from rust in some shape o form less than 3 years old.
Plus the anti-preformation warranty is worthless, and hyundai dealers are not interested.

Combine this to a expensive parts list, and high insurance bands on some vehicles - not to great.

Yes im sure your trajet will be great for 5 years, but i will be very surprised if you keep it outside of warranty.

Goes with the job mate. We're such misers in our firm that even as a partner, I get to type my own reports. I used to hand write them and then they would be copy typed, but know it's easier to type it myself.
--
So you're hard at work at the moment, then?
Of course, as a partner, surfing the web is an important part of my daily routine and vital to the welfare of our business!

As both mMy partner & I are car nuts, I like to keep abreast of news so that important decisions can be made with authority - when should the car be cleaned?
--