Balloon in car - Vin {P}
I don't kno wif this is motoring related enough, so if it gets cut, I won't be surprised.

I had the good fortune to be given two helium balloons the other day - left over from an event at a customer. I decided to take them home for the children. As my boot was full, I put them in the car, where, naturally enough, they floated to touch the inside of the roof. I reasoned that a loose balloon cannoning into the back of my head wouldn't be a problem. I set off, at which point the weirdness started.

I accelerated out of the car park and the balloons swept forwards. I hit the brakes, and they went backwards. Round the right hand bend of roundabouts, they crushed themselves over to the right of the car and on left hand bends, they went the other way. All the way home I was fascinated by the apparent reverse inertia.

I understand the physice involved, but for entertainment value it was defnitely worth a try.

Give it a go - it'll amuse your kids in the back, particularly if they are old enough to understand inertia.

V
Balloon in car - Halmer
I was going to suggest that it should wear a seat belt the same as humans but then relaised that it was two l's and not a b.
Balloon in car - Clanger
I understand the physice involved, but for entertainment value it was
defnitely worth a try.

I don't. We never learned about "reverse inertia" at skool.
Can someone explain?

On a slightly different tack, I've noticed that if the air con is blowing hard, the air stream in the car changes direction when a bend is taken. Same phenomenon?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Balloon in car - Robin Reliant
And why does a spoked wheel look like it's rotating in the opposite direction to which the vehicle is moving? Nature has some explaining to do about all these inconsistancies.

Or maybe we should just get out more.
Balloon in car - Adam {P}
Bearing in mind I'm not doing Physics at Uni, I'd like to ask, like Hawkeye, how this happens.

If I had to guess I'd say helium is lighter than air so that's floating in the car. When the car turns right, the helium is displacing the air but because it's floating, it's staying exactly where it is it's just the car moving around it. Very basic but can someone elaborate?

Cheers

Adam - did I mention I don't do physics at Uni?
Adam
Balloon in car - Altea Ego
And why does a spoked wheel look like it's rotating in
the opposite direction to which the vehicle is moving? Nature has
some explaining to do about all these inconsistancies.

Only on film or TV. Its called the strobe effect. Caused by the filming equipment scanning rates.

Balloon in car - BobbyG
RF, this can also happen if you are looking at wheels, say for example, that are passing a fence.
Balloon in car - Number_Cruncher
Hi Tom,

The effect is caused because human eyes do work a little bit like a camera - they have an effective sampling rate of approx 20 - 30 cycles per second.

In order to capture an event accurately, you need to sample it at at least twice the frequency - technically, the Nyquist frequency.

This is why you get monitors with about 60Hz speed.

When carrying out testing, or data acquisition on systems, it is usual practice to specify low pass filters which take out all of the high frequency content before sampling, to guard against this effect, which, technically is clled aliasing.

Interestingly, different parts of the eye have a different response.

If you look square on to a computer monitor, you will see no flicker. If you look out of the corner of your eye, you will see some flicker - especially on older, slower monitors.

number_cruncher
60 hz was chosen as the refresh rate for moitors for technical electronic reasons and cost not for any "twice the eye scan rate" reasons.

Regardless of the scan rate of the eye, nothing appears to rotate backwards when viewed in real time by the eye or brain, unless its "strobed" by another medium (scan rates of TV's cameras or as Bobby says through the "choping effect" (in effect a strobe) of a fence.
RF,

May I suggest you perform an experiment?

If you stand near a roundabout or junction where cars slow from say 50 to zero - not through a fence or anything like that- watch the car's wheels. At least once or twice during a deceleration, you will see the wheel appear to be stationary.

on the other point you raise,...

If I were wanting to choose a nice easy scan rate for a monitor in the absence of other considerations I would consider using the 50Hz provided.

number_cruncher
Re the car wheels. Done that and they rotate the same way all the time.

Re the monitors you forget one thing, they were designed in the states where...........60hz
Hi RF,

Good responses :-)

Why do the car wheels appear to stop?

Why do monitor in England run at 60Hz? If they are designed in America to run at the supply frequency, why don't they run at the supply frequency here?

number_cruncher
re the monitors, because the video cards were also designed in the states, and 50 hz was therefore not a standard vesa (video standard) frequency

My eyes must be different from yours _ i can watch spked wheels from 50 to nothing and they dont stop or go backwards. And given the frequency of daylight they are viewed in nor should they.

(however Vin may have hit on something, they might under 50 hz street lighting,)
Hi RF,

This page seems to cover quite a lot of the ground we have been discussing - I found it by putting "human eye" "temporal sampling" into yahoo.

www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/TempRate.mspx

With regard to the observation of wheels at junctions, I have asked a number of people if they see this effect, and they report that they do - under daylight conditions. Perhaps they are humouring me to keep me quiet!

I agree with your comment about a) the frequency content of daylight and b) that street lighting can cause stroboscopic effects.

My point is that human eyes cannot react immediately - nothing can! If any system has a time delay, then, it has an upper frequency limit (Refer to either Fourier or Laplace transform theory for this). For eyes, this frequency limit is about 30Hz straight ahead - more at the periphery of vision.

number_cruncher

p.s. apologies if the formatting of the web page URL isn't correct
Balloon in car - BrianW
You can definitely get a strobe effect from car wheels under street lights, I've observed it several times, particularly under sodium vapour lights.
Balloon in car - Stuartli
>>If you look square on to a computer monitor, you will see no flicker. If you look out of the corner of your eye, you will see some flicker - especially on older, slower monitors.>>

A monitor should normally be used at a refresh rate of 85MHz (some people are OK with 75MHz), a figure that eliminates the possibility of suffering flicker/eye strain for the vast majority of users. Using a refresh rate of 60MHz (sometimes listed as Optimal) will prove unsatisfactory.

Higher refresh rates are possible/available, depending on the graphics card and monitor specifications, but are rarely necessary.
Balloon in car - Vin {P}
"On a slightly different tack, I've noticed that if the air con is blowing hard, the air stream in the car changes direction when a bend is taken. Same phenomenon?"

It shoudl be - you have streams of cold air moving round that car. I've never noticed it but I will be experimenting through the next week or two...

V
Balloon in car - Manatee
Nothing to do with inertia, just gravity - the effective direction of the g-force changes as you brake or accelerate and the air being heavier goes that way with the ballonn floating on top, just as it does when there is only perpendicular g-force. I think.
Balloon in car - frostbite
I wouldn't mind betting that someone, somewhere, has just called his wife over and said "just look at what this daft lot are getting all serious and technical about now".
Balloon in car - Baskerville
I'd say it was because as you accelerate the body of the car tilts up at the front and the balloons rise in that direction. Whe you brake the nose dips and the balloons float upwards towards the back. Remember these balloons are not floating free, but pressing against the roof, which yaws under acceleration and braking.
Balloon in car - patently
I'm tempted to agree with you ChrisR, but I prefer the simple answer.

That as you accelerate, the air is pressed to the back of the car as you would expect. The only visible effect is that it displaces the balloon forwards. The balloon is also being urged back by the acceleration, but less forcefully as it has less mass=less inertia. So the air wins and the balloon goes forward.

For deceleration, right turns, left turns etc, mutatis mutandis.
Balloon in car - Manatee
Indeed. Mutatis and, as you say, mutandis [sage nod].
Balloon in car - Baskerville
That sounds plausible in theory, but I'm not convinced the air inside a car moves enough or for long enough to increase the pressure behind the balloon to that extent. If the balloon was floating free it would discount my theory--all it takes is a little weight added.
Balloon in car - Manatee
It wouldn't move if there was nothing floating on top of it. Imagine the car was half full of water. Where would the water go when you put the brakes on? And anything that was floating on top would still be "on top" i.e. behind it due to revised direction of "g"-force.
Balloon in car - Vin {P}
Wow, I was expecting this to be a short thread, and now look what I've started.

It all, rather unbelievably, comes back to Einstein's General Theory of relativity.

If you are placed in a lift in the middle of space, you will experience weightlessness. If the lift is then accelerated upwards, the floor will move towards you and then press itself to you. From your perspective inside the lift, you will be pulled towards the floor, then experience a force pressing you to the floor. In all possible ways, the effect of this will be the same as gravity. Einstein said that in that case, it isn't just the effect you see; instead what you are experiencing actually *is* gravity. (if you go on with the experiment and imagine the effect on the beam of a torch shining across an accelerating lift, you can prove that gravity will bend a light beam, later proved by experiment)

So, when you accelerate a car by putting your foot to the floor, you are creating a gravitational force that acts towards the back of the car. Helium being lighter than the air in the car, it moves away from the direction in which the gravity is pulling, hence, towards the front of the car.

It's pleasing to know that in some small way, Einstein's great theories come into play when you put your foot down or brake your car. It's not all about light beams and time travel.

V

PS. Several previous posters seem to have answered this accurately and much more succinctly.
Balloon in car - Vin {P}
"And why does a spoked wheel look like it's rotating in the opposite direction to which the vehicle is moving? Nature has some explaining to do about all these inconsistancies."

Because if you're watching on TV, what appears to be steady movement is in fact 25 frames or so a second. If a spoked wheel in the time between frames has moved to a point just behind where the previous spoke was in the last frame, then what you will see is an apparent slow rotation backwards.

You can also get the same effect (but only as a passenger!) if you look at alloy wheels on other cars at night. The "steady" light from streetlights actually flickers 60 times a second. Thusm if, during the time the streetlight is off, the spokes of the wheel move to say, exactly the same point as the previous spoke was during the last flash of light, you'll see a stationary wheel.

Dunno if that makes sense, but that's my best shot.

V

PS a quick search gave:

www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=158,209&sid=2...7
Balloon in car - Robin Reliant
I must stop reading threads like this. I was in my local filling station tonight and I found myself browsing round the shop to see if they sold balloons. Thankfully they didn't, and with a bit of luck a good nights sleep should do the trick.
Balloon in car - Cliff Pope
So, when you accelerate a car by putting your foot to the floor, you are creating a gravitational force that acts towards the back of the car. Helium being lighter than the air in the car, it moves away from the direction in which the gravity is pulling, hence, towards the front of the car.

Well put, Vin.
But I think that is conventional physics, not relativity. What Einstein actually said was that you do NOT feel gravity as a force.
He famously came to this conclusion after talking to a builder who had fallen off a roof. The man said he didn't experience any force at all: he just "found himself moving towards the ground". What Einstein said was happening was that the space around the Earth was distorted because of its mass. That is the point where I stop following the argument, but one thing is clear- it is not a force.
Imagine free-falling inside a lift. You would experience weightlessness, with no apparent force, yet would somehow arrive at the bottom.
Balloon in car - Vin {P}
The reason I chose a relativistic explanation is that it is the simpler picture, otherwise, in classical physics, you're left looking at inertial explanations. These will give the right explanation, but are much more complex. If you simply accept that there is additional gravitational force acting towards the rear of the car, the picture becomes simpler.

Forgive me for use of the word "force"; you're right. It is more accurate to suggest that you are greating a curvature of space towards the rear of your car when you accelerate. Whether that makes it clearer to picture is open to doubt.

I'd love to go on; I love this stuff, but I think the mods have been remarkably lenient up to now, and I don't feel they need and help from me to get the scissors out.

V

Balloon in car - Stuartli
Wouldn't the fact too that most cars have dedicated air vents to allow stale air to be expelled have a slight/small effect on the movement of air within the vehicle; the air itself could never be still if the vehicle is moving.
Balloon in car - patently
It is sadly a much observed phenomenon that to end a discussion about physics, all you need to do is attempt a relatavistic explanation. At that point, everyone's brain starts to hurt and they give up.

Except Einstien's, but I suspect he is not a BR member.
Balloon in car - No Do$h
You're all quite, quite mad.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Balloon in car - Happy Blue!
Relatively speaking, of course ;-)
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?