Golf GTi Rev Limit - stuartjw
I have just bought a Golf GTi and gave it a good drive on the test drive and everything seemed to check out OK with a FVSH. The only thing was on the way home I put my foot down and the rev limit kicked in at 5,000 RPM (Red line about 6,100). Does anyone know why?

Cheers for any advice.
Golf GTi Rev Limit - mark999
Possibly the ECU has picked up some fault codes and is on limp home mode.
How do I reset the ECU - If I disconnect it from the battery will this Reset it? I know someone who said he can plug in his laptop and have a look at it.
Also is there anyway of knowing if it is in limp home mode? Would the ECU lamp not be on on the dash?
Golf GTi Rev Limit - Peter D
Limp home mode would light the ECU lamp and the rev limit would be 3,500 or so not 5. Get the ECU fault codes read to see if anything has been reported. What year and engine code are you talking about and how abrupt did the limiter kick in. What mileage has the car done. Regards Peter
Golf GTi Rev Limit - SjB {P}
Happened to a friend of mine, and the problem was nothing to do with rev limiter, but fuel pressure, or rather, lack of it.

Shared for what it's worth.
Golf GTi Rev Limit - Ross_D
Or of course, the rev counter could be misreading. I know in the older Peugeots especially, they can misread by upto 700rpm at very high revs. Whether this affects golfs aswell I'm not toatlly sure!
My mate is gonna read the ECU fault codes next week sometime hopefully. It is a 1996 MK3 - I am not sure of the engine code but it is the 2litre 8 Valve. The mileage is 82,000 and it is due a service in 1,000 miles. Could this be a sign of a serious problem?

Thanks for all the help.
Golf GTi Rev Limit - martint123
I'd make sure to change the fuel filter at the service - running out of puff at high revs can be a syptom of restricted fuel flow.

Martin

Thanks for that. I will be servicing the car next week and I will make sure that I change the fuel filter. After all the plugs are changed and filters I will let you know if there is still a problem. Thanks again.