Compensation from VW - A_Lees
I have been advised by a colleague to join this forum and seek advice on problems that I have had with a VW Passat.

I bought the car (new) from a VW dealer in 2002 - it is a 1.8 petrol model.

I had problems from the first week of ownership. Problems have included a failed alternator (which caused a breakdown), repeated display of the engine management warning light, a dahboard that creaks a great deal, a problem with the airbag system (warning light coming on). The burglar alarm/locking is also a bit temperamental. The air conditioner chose to pack in this summer but I have not yet been to the dealer with it.

The biggest problem, however has been a problem with the engine electronics which has caused the car to completely stop on three occassions. The last time was in July in France. Fortunately the French dealers are better trained that their UK equivalents and they quickly found a faulty engine sensor and some wires that had been damaged during assembly. It runs much better now.

My question is: Can I claim from VW for all the aggro I have had with this car. I have made numerous trips to the dealer over the past two years, which has meant taking time out of work. Transport has been a problem because the dealers usually need notice of a loan car booking - not easy when the car breaks down. On one occasion they had the car for 2 weeks (when the engine warning lamp came on) trying unsuccessfully to diagnose the fault. The dealer is totally disinterested in my problems and even suggested that since I have a problematic car I might like to trade it in for a new one which would be less troublesome!

I would like to take them to a small claims court for compensation for loss of time and inconvenience. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this.

Thank you.

A Lees
Compensation from VW - Canon Fodder
A,

firstly can I direct you to this thread about my polo which rather degenerates into a bangernomics discussion
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24831&...f

and this guide to consumer law from the DTI

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

Unfortunatly in your case the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers regulations will not apply as you bought the product in 2002 so the bit about repair or replacement and full or partial refund doesnt apply either.

As such a long time has passed a full rejection is not advised, nevertheless you are indeed entitled to damages, against the retailer, not VW the manufacturer. A small claims action would indeed be in order, and I feel confident they will settle, as long as you have proof of the faults the car has suffered in the form of bills, breakdown reports etc.

Remember also that only Actual damages can be claimed, so no pain and suffering or emotional upset etc, just what it has actually cost you in terms of hire cars, hotels, taxis, [with receipts], time off work and of course the loss in value of the car compared to one with a clean record.

I suggest a brief letter to the dealership MD stating the amount you will settle for to keep the matter out of the County Court and see what they say.

Keep us informed,

CF
Compensation from VW - JohnM{P}
Whilst you are trying to get recompense, is there a more sympathetic VW dealer (they do exist!) which you could go to? (might be further away but if they fix the problems...) My trusted VW dealer has sorted out problems under warranty of my lease cars (which they didn\'t supply); other dealers (from my own and friends\'/colleagues\' (around the country) experiences) I won\'t trust a skateboard with... (This probably applies to many manufacturers\' dealers, not just VAG).
Compensation from VW - Aprilia
You list several common Passat problems (creaking dash, alternator failure and alarm/locking problems). The air con is also a bit dodgy I gather (evap. failure?) also the heater matrix can fail.

Rather than getting bogged down in a stressful argument with VW why not put it all behind you? P/x it for something more reliable (i.e. probably a Japanese brand, or even a Mondeo) before anything else goes wrong!
Compensation from VW - No Do$h
I anticipate certain VW driving members of this forum will be along in 5, 4, 3, 2.....
Compensation from VW - pdc {P}

have a 2002 Passat. The only problem I have had with it was some nice lady re-arranging the rear end with a big white van :0)
Compensation from VW - patently
What, was she making some kind of comment on its artistic merit?
Compensation from VW - andymc {P}

(sorry, couldn't resist the challenge, No Dosh. Plus I'm bored, off sick and have nothing better to do.)
I have a 1999 Passat. It handles beautifully. The reason it does so is because I fitted an all-new Koni adjustable suspension kit. Before I did that, it handled like a barge en route to the Isle of Man. Dash has started to creak a bit. Also, just found out that the central locking is slightly odd - if you lock all doors from the inside, the front passenger door immediately unlocks again. Dealers - useless, ignorant, you're lucky we're deigning to speak to you at all (sir).
If I could afford to, I would trade it now for an MG ZT CTDi/high spec Rover 75. Or a Volvo S60 D5. Or a diesel Accord, yum. I'll probably do so next year, I can live with it till then if nothing serious goes wrong. Can't be bothered with the annoyance of keeping it while other problems develop.

Sorry this has little to do with the topic, I'll go now!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Compensation from VW - A_Lees
Thanks to all who replied to my query.

Since I last wrote, the VW has broken down once more. I had an RAC man out to it and was surprised to find that the RAC carry 'computer diagnostics' in a little black case. It plugs into a connector on the dashboard.
He seemed more clued up than the dealers and diagnosed an electronic fault. The car was towed to the dealers (the RAC have an amazing trailer systems which unfolds itself, electrically, out of the back of the van!).
The RAC guy commented that he gets lots of calls to VWs and Audis, mostly with electronic failures and faulty immobilisers.

After four days I have got the car back from the dealer.

I have now decided not to argue with VW or seek compensation because it is simply too much hassle and life is too short. I have been looking at the updated Nissan Primera and will probably be ordering one soon.

The irony of the Passat is that prior to buying it new in 2002 I owned a Nissan Primera from new, 1993-2002. It did over 100,000 miles and only required new spark plug wires and a new starter motor. I sold it and got the Passat because I was scared it would break down!
The Passat has spent more time in the workshop in 2 years than the Nissan did in 9 years!
I will not be buying a VW again. It has been a dreadful experience.