Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - Ellis
Hello,

'95 Cavalier with ABS warning light on, ABS is not working.
One puzzling thing is that Haynes says "All models with ABS.....front and rear discs". Mine defo has drums and shoes on the rear.

Does that mean that there are no ABS sensors at the back as this appears to be the first place to look?

Also, do you have to prise apart the sensors to clean them or just get all the accumulated rubbish away and give the outside a clean?,

Thanks

Ellis

Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - Dynamic Dave
From memory, the ABS sensors for the rear brakes are on the rear of the hubs, on the outside.

Brush any accumilated muck away from the sensor, and also clean any muck out from the teeth of the crown wheels.

What tends to happen is the sensor can get crushed over a period of time by corrosion. The sensors have an aluminium body, which are mounted in a hole in the casting of the suspension arms.

This site may help you test them.

www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/maintenance/test...m

Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - elekie&a/c doctor
Don't waste your time cleaning the sensors,you will probably wreck them trying to remove them from the hubs.Have you checked your brake lights for operation???
elekie,

to my horror and two M62 journeys later I don't have brake lights, fuse and bulbs both ok, brake pedal switch?

Regards

Ellis
Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - Victorbox
I've changed three in fifteen years so very likely. Prepare for backache to reach switch.
Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - Dynamic Dave
elekie,
to my horror and two M62 journeys later I don't have
brake lights, fuse and bulbs both ok, brake pedal switch?

Could well be.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=97...5
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=15...7
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23862
Cavalier - ABS Sensor Cleaning - pmh
www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/maintenance/test...m

Whilst this site has generally good advice, the author obviously knows little about electronics as he confuses 'Hall effect' devices with inductive coil pickups throughout the text. So possibly treat other aspects with caution.

For reference Hall effect devices are semiconductors, inductive coil pickups use basic generator principles.

pmh (was peter)
After fitting the new brake switch, which by the way if it has a square switch body will be difficult to find anywhere!, no joy, checked the bulbs again, VERY CLOSELY, replaced hey presto, ABS light goes out everyone happy £7 in all should have been a £1

Thanks all who contributed