service intervals..can they really be ok - barney100
I have just bought a Mercedes 220 cdi and am amazed that the service intervals can be up to 18,000 miles. There is a warning on the dash when the car reckons it needs looking at. Has anyone any thoughts on these long service intervals? I still can\'t get out of changing the oil every 6,000!
service intervals..can they really be ok - J Bonington Jagworth
There\'s quite a bit on this here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=91...4

I\'d stick to your old habits!
service intervals..can they really be ok - Buster Cambelt
The vaguaries of the variable service interval. About 6 weeks ago I started using an Audi A4 1.8 that my father-in-law had previously been using. He had covered about 17k miles in 3 and a half years and the service interval display said \"service in 3000 miles\". After 2000 miles of mainly motorway miles it now says \"service in 3700 miles\".

It\'s getting a service in the next couple of weeks whether it wants one or not.
service intervals..can they really be ok - daveyjp
Regardless of what the service interval says all Audis on variable servicing have to be serviced every two years anyway. I have just had mine done after two years and the indicator was still showing 2,000 miles. BTW motorway driving will increase the time between services - stop start motoring reduces it dramtically and down to the old 6,000 miles is not uncommon.
service intervals..can they really be ok - J Bonington Jagworth
"..down to the old 6,000 miles is not uncommon."

Which just shows how daft extended fixed intervals are!
service intervals..can they really be ok - Ben79
So variable servicing with more expensive oil can result in more frequent services than fixed interval with cheaper oil?

Well, methinks that 6,000 mile servicing with good oil per HJ's recommendations is the best of both worlds.
service intervals..can they really be ok - Stuartli
VAG models from 2000 year models have a choice of fixed or variable service intervals - the former is 10,000 miles for oil and filter changes and each 20,000 mark for major service and the variable alternative is applicable when LongLife oils are used.

The variable mileage service point depends on the use to which the vehicle is put but it is still recommended that the oil and filter are changed annually, whatever the mileage.
Checked with father in law, car screamed for service on its second birthday. Luckily oil has been changed annually.
and this morning it asked for a service, three weeks before its 4th birthday