C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - Happy Blue!
I'd love a C-Max TDCI-CVT. I wonder where I could get hold of the one that just sold?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - Aprilia
Problems with manufacture of CVT, most likely. I have previously posted about problems GM are having building working CVT's at their plant in Hungary.

Mini CVT is giving major headaches with many failed 'boxes (US buyers are not happy!) - I think they are on control software revision no. 40 !! (Don't ask how I know this...)

As I have posted before, CVT technology has still not really been cracked, although Nissan are getting there.
I was refering to the Nissan JATCO Extroid CVT - which uses semi-toroidal variators. Its used on Skylines and other high-line Nissans. It has a torque capacity of about 400nm and doesn't seem to suffer the unreliability of the pushbelts and chains (a la LuK/Audi). The nice thing about the Extroid is that its compact, quiet, reliable and has a high torque capacity - downside is a somewhat reduced ratio span and higher manufacturing costs. I have had the opportunity to drive one, albeit briefly, and they are definitely the way to go IMHO.

I think Ford have yet to manufacture a reliable CVT and it will be interesting to see how this latest effort pans out.
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - Ivor E Tower
Aprilia - do you know anything about troubles with the JATCO 5-speed auto as fitted to the Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan? Don't know if the same box is fitted to other vehicles but it is supposed to be reliable. However a number of members on the Galaxy Forum have horrifically expensive tales to tell of rebuilds, and I have even been approached by another owner when refuelling my manual one, asking if mine was an auto as the person who approached me had had problems with his auto box.
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - Imagos
We've had CVT since the sixties (DAF?) why's the technology so poor and the development so slow?
We've had CVT since the sixties (DAF?) why's the technology so
poor and the development so slow?

We've actually had CVT's for a very long time - they were first used on a 1908 Rudge motorcycle (which won the TT).

The big snag with belt-type CVT is that all the power is put through a small contact area, and the system is reliant on simple surface friction to transmit the power. Once any slip occurs heat build-up is rapid and the system very quickly goes into 'meltdown'. They're OK when little power needs to be transmitted (like the DAF), but at higher torques you are heading toward 'bleeding edge' technology.
Aprilia - do you know anything about troubles with the JATCO
5-speed auto as fitted to the Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW
Sharan? Don't know if the same box is fitted to
other vehicles but it is supposed to be reliable. However
a number of members on the Galaxy Forum have horrifically expensive
tales to tell of rebuilds, and I have even been approached
by another owner when refuelling my manual one, asking if mine
was an auto as the person who approached me had had
problems with his auto box.

I am not particularly familiar with the Galaxy, but I think it must use the JATCO JF506E (or a variant of it). I cannot imagine why is should be proving particularly problematic, since JATCO have a long history of making good and reliable autoboxes.
At the end of the day it could be something to do with the 'adaption' of the 'box to the vehicle. i.e. Ford decide what ratios, torque capacity, shift pattern they want and then order the 'box from JATCO. If Ford get it wrong then there can be a problem.
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - mark999
How good is Honda Jazz CVT I was considering one for a 2nd car which only deos townwork
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - HectorG
Aprilia

My wife is interested in a Honda Jazz CVT - any views on these?

I am thinking of a 2.5 Nissan X-Trail auto which is, I believe, a CVT. You say Nissan are 'getting there'. What 'box do Nissan use on the X-Trail and is it reliable?

Always appreciate your expert and well-considered advice.

HectorG
AFAIK the X-trail uses a traditional and well-proven 4-speed auto.

Don't really know enough about the Honda CVT to comment, sorry.
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - ChrisBarr
My C-Max 1.6 TDCI CVT finally arrived at the Ford Main Dealer this week - more than six months after I ordered it.
They have consistently blamed "gearbox parts availability" for the delay in supplying the car.
There is a rumour that Ford USA have been taking most of the supply of CVT gearboxes, leaving nothing left for European orders.
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - RobC
Several years ago I had the misfortune to own a Ford Orion with a cvt gearbox and since then I have avoided Fords and these gearboxes.
However, the C-Max could tempt me back as the cvt is a ZF unit and their gearboxes are well proven.
I also think the C-Max is one of the better looking Ford's and has a better interior compared to competition such as the VW Touran.
However, the C-Max could tempt me back as the cvt is
a ZF unit and their gearboxes are well proven.

Hmm. I think there are a lot of Mini CVT owners who might disagree. They use the ZF CVT and quite a large number have been swapped out under warranty. Also, the last I heard, the control software was on something like revision no. 30...
C-MAX 1.6 TDCI CVT - colinh
Has the Mercedes A-class CVT system any "history" (good or bad)?