Do I need an MOT? - simonjc
My Tax is due on 31 August and my car requires an MOT certificate from 15 September. Do I need to get it MOT'd in order to tax it?

Thanks for your help
Do I need an MOT? - Imagos
read your V11 reminder and read this www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htm
Do I need an MOT? - Ivor E Tower
The latest V11 reminders (got mine a few days ago) do not make it clear - they state that you need an MoT certificate "if applicable". In this case, it would appear that one ios not applicable - a ssuming that the car has not been registered for 3 years before the need to re-tax.
Do I need an MOT? - Imagos
The car is not 3 years old from first registration when tax expires so therefore does not require a MOT certificate when tax renewed..
Do I need an MOT? - Kevin
Short answer, No.

The MOT and Insurance only has to be "..valid on the date the license comes into force."

See the notices on the back of the V11 if you were sent one.

Kevin...
Do I need an MOT? - Mapmaker
>>Do I need an MOT?

Well, yes. Not to renew your tax disc, but you will need one within a fortnight of that date. You have up to a month prior to the date of the MOT expiry (or in this case, the end of the MOT exemption) to get one, so book it in on 16 August to make sure you have the maximum time available to get the test done.
Do I need an MOT? - Dynamic Dave
to get one, so book it in on 16 August....

Next year I presume?
My good friend the Doctor will take you on board his Metropolitan police telephone box & you will be able to achieve this.

It is Friday, after all!
Do I need an MOT? - Victorbox
Taxed my car from 31st August last year with an MOT expiring 18th September 2003 with no problems. As long as it is current at the time you tax car and covers the period the tax starts from.
Do I need an MOT? - Bromptonaut
MOT must be current at the start of the tax disc. This is the later of the first day of the month when it starts (sept in your case) or the date you buy the disc. If the car has a three yr warranty it's worth taking advantage of the 13 month rule mentioned above and geting it MoT'd while under warranty - that way you've a reasonable chance of getting faults cleared FoC.
Do I need an MOT? - SP
On your first MOT, I don't think going 'early' works. Next one is still required in 12 months time. All you've managed is to get the due date moved forward a month. I was a bit disappointed when this happened! Agree its worth doing on all subsequent tests.
Do I need an MOT? - Bromptonaut
Worked OK for me. Third anniversary 28/10/03. Dealer tested and rectified a couple of warranty faults c.10/10/03. MoT issued to 28/10/04.
Do I need an MOT? - Galaxy
Worked for me as well.

The tester has to insert the number of the V5, which must be produced at the time of testing, where the number of previously issued MOT certificate would normally be written.

Done in this way, the MOT start date is exactly 3 years after first registration, even if the test is actually carried out a month before.
Similarly, for subsequent MOTs you need to turn up with the old MOT certificate.

Don't do what I once did, and go 32 days before it expires, as they cannot then give you the benefit of the extra month.