No History - number67
A friend is looking at a car which is nearly 3 years old. The car has done just 6.5k miles and has never been serviced. The car and seller seem genuine (over phone and looking at e-mails). But the fact it has no history bothers me a bit - should it?

There's no warranty on it as it was an import bought from motorpoint. I guess if we paid for a check to be done then they wouldn't be able to verify the mileage as its never been serviced or mot'd?? Would that be correct?
No History - borasport20
So it's done about 2000 miles per year and possible never had a service ?

Unless it is very, very, very cheap, I'd go and look at something else
--
you have to get out of the car sometime
so visit www.mikes-walks.co.uk
No History - teabelly
No history isn't always a sign of trouble. But as this car hasn't been serviced in 3 years I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. If it has only done such a low mileage then it will have been toodled to the shops and back and never had much chance to warm up properly. Alternatively it has been to Scotland and back a few times and has otherwise stood around doing nothing for months on end, either way a recipe for trouble.

Tell your friend to run like the wind away from this car! A car with a reasonable mileage rather than an abnormally low one will be a much better buy. A car with the same low mileage but that had regular oil changes and had been pampered might be worth the risk.
teabelly
No History - number67
Thanks,

Sometimes I think its a bit 'old-fashioned' thinking low mileage can't be good. Mrs 67's ickle car has done 16k in 4 years - but I do change the oil every year (though I don't really think it needs it - however oil is quicker/cheaper to change than a camshaft).

Whenever I get asked to look at a car with someone I always feel more pressure than when looking for myself! I get this feeling they're going to ring up in 4 months and say that the air con's packed up and why didn't I spot it etc.

In the same way I've never sold my own cars to friends or family - even when they've expressed an interest!
No History - wd 40
67 - you don't say what car it is, but I bet if you read the handbook, somewhere, it will say that even if you don't reach the service mileage, the car should be serviced, or at least have the oil changed, every twelve months or so

The car has averaged 6 or 7 miles a day - if thats to and from work, the engine has never reached proper operating temperature, every journey is at maximum wear, the oil will be filthy and degraded, the cat has never warmed up - do your friend a favour - point them somewhere else

No History - number67
It's a renault and the recomended services are 18k or 2 years.
No History - Mapmaker
I bet he wants more for it than the bloke with the regularly serviced 50k example - which might be a better bet & less money!
No History - patently
Agreed. Bargepole job.
No History - The Bear
A low milage car that has been lovingly cared for will have been serviced in accordance with the Manf.Warranty and benefit from being sold on with a full History. Avoid this one like the plague. Even if it is honest you will eventually need to sell it on, raising the doubts of your buyer.
No History - Dalglish
number67 -

first, presumably your friend is happy with his choice of make & model?

if so, just to the left of this thread, you will see an ad for "usedcarchecks". that comes with a warranty.

ask your friend to check it out.
if usedcarchecks find the car is ok, and if your friend thinks the price is right, tell him to base his decision on those two factors.