Audi Coupe Hydraulics - Martin C
I own a '94 Audi Coupe 2.0 16v which has developed a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system. The car loses hydraulic fluid regularly and at first I believed it to be an air bubble in the system, as the level would rise and fall. Now the level just falls and my local garage, who have always been excellent up to now, can't seem to find the problem. They have replaced all the hoses on the system and I have bled the system but now it's leaking even more. This doesn't seem to be connected to the braking system however, it only affects the level of tension in the power steering and on one occasion locked the steering completely. I'm afarid that the hydraulic system is going to pack in completely.

Any ideas?
Audi Coupe Hydraulics - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Are you saying you have no visible leaks?

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Yeah, but there's somtimes hydraulic fluid over the outside of the reservoir sometimes which is making me think that there is an air bubble pushing it up and out of the reservoir.

The car always has small patches of hydraulice fluid underneath it after parking, not huge puddles but the reservoir is leaking in some way.

Like I said I've had all the hoses replaced and tightened?
Audi Coupe Hydraulics - Peter D
Last time I heard of that it was the rear seal of the master cylinder leaking into the servo housing. Worth investigation me thinks. Regards Peter
Audi Coupe Hydraulics - IanW
Martin,

Does your Coupe have a 6A engine code, and the hydraulic brake servo?

If so, I'm presuming that the overflow is from the LHM-like fluid reservoir, rather than from the brake fluid reservoir?

These engines have a hydraulic pressure accumulator (aka 'bomb') low down in the engine bay. If the non-return valve is err, returning fluid to the reservoir, then the reservoir can appear low with the engine running/recently stopped. If you top it up, then leave it for, say, 12 hours, fluid escapes the accumulator, overfilling the reservoir.

The only fix of which I am aware is a new bomb - 4A0 612 061D. If this is the case, and you find a cheaper fix, please let me know - I appear to have the same problem (plus a small leak from the PS pump itself).

If, on the other hand, there is a large circular vacuum servo on the brake master cylinder, please ignore my irrelevant post.

Ian.
Ian,

Thanks for your help all those months ago. I have recently had my car fixed and have kept an eye on it for the last two weeks just to make sure that I'm not speaking too soon. However after having had my old hydraulic/power steering pump fixed, a seal had gone, my car is now okay. Luckily I found a mechanic who knew of someone with an Audi 100 who had a similar problem and located my leak and diagnosed the fix within a couple of hours. He even found someone else to fix my existing pump rather than buying a new unit, which saved me around £200.

I hope your problem has also been solved. Thanks again...

Martin
Audi Coupe Hydraulics - IanW
Martin,

Glad to hear it's fixed. After rebuilding the p/s pump mine is a lot better, but still loses residual pressure over 48 hours or so. I just have to remember that there's little assistance on the brakes for the first 30 seconds.

For reference, the p/s pump seal kit is 035 198 049A. A puller is needed to dismantle, and a hydraulic press to re-assemble.

Ian.