Looking for Discovery TD5 - Hugo {P}
Although I get on great with the 200 TDi I am tempted by the Disco TD5.

I have decided to avoid the 300TDi, A number of owners I know complain about reliability and repair costs etc, one especially having returned his to the dealer in disgust after £1200 of repair bills in one year. Personally I think I have been very lucky with a very good 200 TDi.

I know the Series 3 is coming out in October and the local LR dealership promises to call me when he gets the TD5 trade ins, but their prices are not cheap.

I am looking for a good well specced ES around year 2000 and sensible mileage. Where is the best place?

And can those of you in the know give me some indicator as to how I could convince a main dealer to clear out a TD5 (of which he may have plenty to shift) at a price comparable with private sale or even auction (I know... I don't want much but I have done this before with a car that was in the dealership for too long).

Thanks

Hugo
Looking for Discovery TD5 - Graham
Apparently they had such a ruch on there won't be any discounting of the last Disc II's.

I'm not sure that there is too much of an unreliability problem with the 300TDi's. Not after the cam chain probs which should all have been sorted by now.
Looking for Discovery TD5 - Hugo {P}
Thanks Graham

I am not actually after a new TD5 but a used one.

I know that the local Land Rover Dealer are expecting a deluge of TD5s when the new Series 3 is available, and expect to have to discount them for a bit.

Having said that the 200 TDi is going so well that I may just spend a few quid on getting the corrosion sorted and keep it for a few more years.

Hugo
Looking for Discovery TD5 - Truckosaurus
I know that the local Land Rover Dealer are expecting a
deluge of TD5s when the new Series 3 is available, and
expect to have to discount them for a bit.

That's good to hear, the Disco is one of my options for replacing my current Saab in the New Year. I keep being tempted by tales of getting 200bhp by strapping on a huge intercooler and turning the boost upto 11. :-)
Looking for Discovery TD5 - defender
you might do well to avoid the 300 series,prone to timing belt problems and gearbox troubles.not as reliable as the 200 engine.a lot of problems were sorted out after 2000.if you use it off road see if you can find one with diff lock as opposed to traction control although to be fair I have no problems with mine.there will be discounts when the new ones arrive when the dealer has to make his numbers up for his bonus (on new ones with no trade in most likely bet) £4200 of a new one last december .auto trader or fish4cars on screen will tell you who has what and price or even the 4x4 auction at hereford? active suspension helps greatly on stability,easier to buy than a good second hand defender