Insurance brokers? - Martin Wall
Hi

A friend of mine is shopping around for quotes for a Peugeot 206 GTI - can you recommend any insurance brokers?
Re: Insurance brokers? - John Slaughter
The answer is - as many as you can ring up!

In my experience there is no one or two brokers which are consistently good for all quotes. Quotes vary between brokers on a daily basis and depend upon the car, the insurer etc. Some brokers have their own policy which the insurers underwrite.

Get out the YellowPages, don't ignore the flyers that come through the door, but make sure at the end of the day that you're happy with the company you insure with.

Case in point. Renewal quote this year from AA was £350, up from £270. Got a quote from another broker (Dial Direct) with CGNU, excellent company, same cover, £290. Now I don't believe the AA don't use CGNU. Beats me.

Regards

John
Re: Insurance brokers? - Andrew Hamilton
I tried the internet. Was happy with Fortis Insurance on Budget website. The computer takes details and several insurers email you their offers
Re: Insurance brokers? - Alvin Booth
Hi Martin,
I have been insured for several years with Eagle Star. The main reason for this is that they are one of the few insurers who give you a few benefits for travelling abroad.
As well as giving you a credit card type of insurance certificate for the UK they also supply you with a paper type for the continent printed in different languages and giving you the name of a bail bond assurer for Spain.
They also need no notification when you are actually travelling whereas most companies need informing of dates.
However when my renewal came through a few months ago I noticed they had a web site and went to it for a quote.
It came back with a cost of about £30.00 less than my mail renewal.
I rang eagle Star and they confirmed it was exactly the same insurance as I already had and was simply cheaper because of less administartion costs.
So it may wll pay your friend to shop around on the net.
Regards

Alvin Booth
Re: Insurance brokers? - Roger Jones
My best recent deal was with Norwich Union Direct (0800 222 400) on my Golf VR6. My other car (MB 320 Coupé) is with Zurich, via a retail broker. Both were chosen after contacting at least half a dozen companies and the range of quotes was wide, with the worst more than 50% higher than the best. It seems clear that certain companies favour certain sectors (types of car, types of motorist) and also that different retail brokers will come up with different quotes from the same insurance company because of the deals struck between broker and insurer. If a broker ever says "We all use the same computer systems, so there's no point in going elsewhere", don't believe 'em.
Re: Insurance brokers? - John Slaughter
Exactly my view, Roger

regards

John
Re: Insurance brokers? - Mark
I use performance direct, you can find their number in magazines like fastcar and such. They'll probably do you a good quote seeing as it's a GTi your friend is trying to insure. They've always managed to beat the best quote I've gone to them with so they're well worth giving a ring.