Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - david2019
Has anyone experienced problems with Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v having a thirst for oil. VAG say it's within "tolerances" to use virtually the length of the serrations on the dipstick in 1,000 miles. Would be interested in any feedback please. David R.
Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - Dynamic Dave
Not sure what the quantity of oil is between min and max on your dipstick, but most manufacturers say that it is acceptable for an engine to use up to a litre of oil per 1000 miles.
ps, how old is the car? If still fairly new, it might be that the pistons/cylinders haven't bedded in properly yet.
Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - Stuartli
As most people on the forum now realised I'm on my third VW, may I put my two pennies worth in?

The first two VWs were a 1.3 and 1.6-litre Jettas. Neither used any oil whatsoever during use, never required topping up and never leaked a drop.

However the latest, a 1.6 Bora, whilst being completely leak free, does use a small amount over a period of time. The handbook states clearly that up to a litre of oil may be consumed per 1,000 miles, although mine is nothing on that scale.

It just means checking the oil about once a month for reassurance, whereas previously it was almost (but not quite) taken for granted there would be no need to pull out the dipstick...:-)
Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - SlidingPillar
I've not known it for some years, but it possible to get the piston rings gummed up and hence the oil consumption will be high. If the car has pootled everywhere for short journeys this might be a possibility.

With care, an Italian tune up can fix!

If the milage is low, then running in may not have been completed. Use the revs progressivly for short periods, but not on full load, gradually increasing the artificial limit, until the design one is reached. Most cars are not being abused by hitting this, and it could be argued, were not designed properly if this was the case (afaik, never the case).
Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - Andrew-T
DD, the first 1100 I owned in the sixties reached a state where I almost had to stop more often for oil than for petrol because the driveshaft seals needed replacing. That is about a litre per 1000 miles, which today's makers suggest is OK (tho I suppose they really only mean during running-in). In my book any car using oil anywhere near that fast needs fixing. It's a ridiculously high allowance.
DD, the first 1100 I owned in the sixties ....

My Allegro (same engine) did, on average, 50 miles to a pint of oil. That was after I fixed the leaks where the engine joined the gearbox (mastick sealant) and replaced the gearbox oil seal where the gearstick linkage connected to. However, the only time oil smoke appeared out the exhaust was on start up and after a long period of idling. God knows where all the oil used to vanish to. None of my mates following me complained that it was burning oil.

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - FLAB

Fabia 2010 1.2 dsg oil consumption after 3750 miles oil light came on I have been told by the garage to check oil weekly I have owned cars for 56 years and never had to watch the oil use weekly especially a new car

Flab

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v - oil consumption - TeeCee
>> DD, the first 1100 I owned in the sixties .... My Allegro (same engine) did, on average, 50 miles to a pint of oil. That was after I fixed the leaks where the engine joined the gearbox (mastick sealant) and replaced the gearbox oil seal where the gearstick linkage connected to. However, the only time oil smoke appeared out the exhaust was on start up and after a long period of idling. God knows where all the oil used to vanish to. None of my mates following me complained that it was burning oil.

The start and idle blue smoke indicates that some of it was finding its way past the valve stem oil seals. A design feature of the "A" series engine rather than a fault. The quantities are so small that it's not noticeable when the engine's running above idle (unless the seals are completely shot), hence those following reporting nothing odd.

Most of it would have been finding its way out via one of the myriad opportunities presented by the "gearbox in the sump" arrangement. Leaking out of the gear linkage cables was always a favourite. The standing joke on these cars was that if you didn't have a patch of oil underneath the engine after it had stood for 10 minutes, it must have run out of the stuff completely.