Sale Advice - Accident Damage - Abbie
Hi all,

I would be most grateful for your advice/opinions:

I have an 02 Saxo VTR which I am planning on selling in the next few weeks to replace with a Honda Civic Type-R (hubba hubba).

The Saxo is in excellent condition, it's been super reliable, it's only done 14,000 miles and is still under warranty. However, when it was 4 weeks old it was hit whilst parked (oh, how i sobbed). The damage was mostly cosmetic - new bumper, bonnet, n/s wing plus a new radiator. The car was repaired by my Citroen dealer; I was particularly forceful with them and got what I believe to be an excellent standard of repair. As the car was not written off, this accident will not show up on a HPI search.

Being an honest soul, I do not intend to sell this car and deceive anybody, but I am concious that admitting to accident damage will put people off, no matter how good the repair.

So what is the best option for me? Sell privately and hope the buyer doesn't ask about accident damage. Perhaps if they do offer to reduce the price, even though the repair work is of a high quality? Or part-ex the car with the Honda dealer and avoid all the hassle, whilst losing money in the process? Would any of you buy a car that you knew had been involved in an accident or would you walk away?

Sorry about all the questions!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Abbie
:-)

Sale Advice - Accident Damage - Ivor E Tower
Like it or not, admitting that a car has been accident damaged will affect its second-hand value, so if you sell it privately keep quite unless asked - but if asked, you must tell the truth or it will be deception. With such apparently little damage, it shouldn't put everyone off - did you take any pictures you could show a propsective purchaser? - but you may prefer to trade it.
Sale Advice - Accident Damage - bugged {P}
Ive sold two cars, both had been in accidents, the first time around the people asked if it had been in an accident and i told the truth and showed them the repair invoice and stuff with all the things they'd replaced etc, also proved it had been done by the dealer.

Second car the people didnt ask so i didnt tell them, exactly the same i had all the paperwork and stuff but they didnt ask so i didnt tell them.

The first time i got full asking price and not a word was mentioned about the accident damage after I had showed the paperwork, I would suggest keeping all the paperwork on your car to show in case asked but I wouldnt worry about loosing alot of money just because it was damaged. It sounds like you have alooked after it and its a nice car so im sure you would have trouble, you will however loose money if you part ex the car to the dealer, last week i rang for a part ex price on teh beetle after they had inspected it. They offered me £1200 less than what i can sell it for privatly so make sure you research and get a fair price if you are going to go down that road.

good luck, enjoy the type R!
Sale Advice - Accident Damage - Altea Ego
IF you are trully convinced the accident damage was repaired to "as good as new" standard (and it seems you are) then whats the problem?
Sale Advice - Accident Damage - Dynamic Dave
IF you are trully convinced the accident damage was repaired to
\"as good as new\" standard (and it seems you are) then
whats the problem?

Quite.

As well as this you mention the accident occured when the car was only 4 weeks old. As it\'s an 02 reg, that means you\'ve owned it for nearly 2 yrs after the accident. If nothing else that should tell the potential buyer that the accident repair hasn\'t worried you, otherwise you would have got shot of it a lot earlier than now.