Vehicle Lighting Regulations (yawn..) - Wee Willie Winkie
Hi All,

My 1974 Beetle has all-red lenses at the rear, meaning that the indicators flash red, rather than amber. I believe there is a cut-off date that allows cars to display red, rather than amber indicators. My search of the 'interweb' has revealed a site which advises the date is 1st Sept 1965. Anything built after this date needs amber lights. I've tried looking at the DoT sites but cannot locate anything.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if the above date is correct? If it is, and I leave the red lenses on, what sort of offence am I leaving myself open to, and how is it punishable?

Many thanks as always.

DB
Vehicle Lighting Regulations (yawn..) - Dynamic Dave
Does anyone know off the top of their head if the
above date is correct?

According to www.motuk.co.uk/manual_150.htm the date is correct.

"d. that every direction indicator emits amber light, except vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 where both front indicators may be white and both rear indicators red"

Vehicle Lighting Regulations (yawn..) - Dwight Van Driver
Just to confirm that Schedule 7 Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 which outlines the requirements in relation to indicators on motor vehicles -

where fitted to a vehicle first used before 1st Sept 1965 and which shows only to the rear can be either red or amber.

DVD
Thanks chaps. I'd best start looking round for some more conformist lenses!

DB
Your vehicle at 1974 pre dates 1.9.75 so red flashers are OK.

DVD
DVD,

Isn't it only okay if my car pre dates 1st September 1965, rather than 1975?

Cheers.

DB
Sorry DB had six on my mind.....its an age thing.

Must get nurse to strengthen my medicine.

DVD
Cheers. I might just wait for Mr Plod to notice, and then worry about it. I think they'd be more concerned with the 'Stinger' exhaust and exposed engine anyway....

DB