Vx Omega Power loss - aliveankikin
Hi, Am i having probems or wot. 2.5 elite auto. When i accelerate hard the engine cuts out (down) and will not run clean unless i back off. Its ok normal driving up to 3/4 acceleration. The display reads "automatic gearbox". Ive done a blink test and number 19 comes up (incorrect RPM signal) but i think thats just a basic fault finding result. Can anyone help.
Vx Omega Power loss - Dynamic Dave
Someone else had similar problems with is Cavalier.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15600

He solved the problem by cleaning the electrical contacts on the sensor.

Hi DD Which sensor should I clean. Iv'e just been for a drive & it was happening at 4000rpm almost like the tc kickin in. I pulled in & whilst in neutral pressed the throttle flat down briefly, it flies up to 4000 rpm & then almost if it hits a rev limiter
Personally I would clean them both. Reason being, one could be upseting the other.

Vx Omega Power loss - Aprilia
Sounds to me like some kind of ignition problem. Is it worse when under load?
Ah, leads again ;o)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24384

OK, I've now read the original post properly. Since it gets worse when you accelerate hard I would say it IS ignition related - leads, or possibly coil(s) in this case. It is unlikely to be the sensors mentioned because their operation is unaffected by engine load - they only 'know' RPM, not load.

Think about renewing your spark plugs, HT leads, also check out the coil pack - look for any signs of tracking (i.e. carbonising etc.).
Omega ignition system is generally rather unreliable and I have seen problems from as little as 30000 miles/ 2 years old.
If in any doubt and check-up on a motorscope (Krypton, Sun tester etc.) will confirm.
Thanks to both DD & Aprilia. I think I'll pay the robbing £25 & get Vauxhall to stick it on their diagnostic machine thingy, probably cheaper in the long run. Iv'e heard the dist/coil (DIS) is really expensive & so are the leads. Reading your notes again I think I'll change the spark plugs first - you never know.
Vx Omega Power loss - SpamCan61 {P}
The spark plugs are a pain to change on the V6; but a lot easier than the HT leads or DIS pack; which nestles right at the back of the left hand cylinder bank :-((.

I've used the parts from autovaux.co.uk before now; much cheaper than Vauxhall, who will want best part of 200 notes for the HT leads alone IIRC.
Vx Omega Power loss - volvos60T5SE
Hi,

I had the same problem with my 2 litre vectra SRi, it turned out to be the camshaft speed sensor, try replacing it, the cost around £15,

Hope this has helped,

Dan
Vx Omega Power loss - Aruu
Could be the engine switching to open loop fuelling, and due to a dodgy MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor)signal (flow being under-read)the engine management isn't injecting enough fuel.

I had a similar problem on a ford a while back, and the above was the cause. I had an erroneous fault code - full throttle not being achieved.

If it is the above, one would expect poor performace across the whole rev range when the engine is cold, assuming the fuelling strategy is similar to a ford ECU.
Things getting stranger but with a light at the end of the tunnel. The perfomance from cold is full power right through the rev range but as soon as it warms up it hits what seems like a rev limiter at 4000. I wonder if the ECU is protecting the engine as there is a underlying undetected fault?
Iv'e just fitted new 4 prong bosch plugs - no different!
Iv'e just fitted new 4 prong bosch plugs - no different!

Er, the 2.5 is a six cylinder engine!!
4 prong as in 4 electrodes (6 spark plugs) which incidently cost £40.00 as I had to buy two packs of four. Not that I'm complaining as the initial pick seems better and more powerful / cleaner - up to 4000 rpm that is. DD do you think that the ECU has gone into some kind of default emergency mode or something?
Vx Omega Power loss - volvos60T5SE
Hi,

I had the same problem with my 2 litre vectra SRi, I had puzzled over for ages, it turned out to be the camshaft speed sensor, try replacing it, the cost around £15.

Hope this has helped,

Dan
But is it load sensitive? In your first post you implied it was. If it is load sensitive (I happens when you load the engine either by gradient or acceleration) then it is almost certainly ignition-related. If it is purely rpm related then I would go for one of the sensors.
4 prong as in 4 electrodes

Oops, misread your post. Read it as "just fitted 4 new prong bosch plugs"

I wouldn't have thought the ecu is the problem. As others have already suggested, it could be leads, coil pack(s) or the rpm sensor.

Before throwing anymore money on replacement parts, get an engine diagnostic check done.
Vx Omega Power loss - Vin {P}
What was the end result of this?

V
Still waiting to get it in for a test. It has not bothered me that much as its such a lovely car to drive without using full acceleration. I bought a service/repair/diagnostic CD on Ebay and it states fault code number 19 (which is showing on mine) is related to a faulty crank sensor which is what DD said at the beginning. Supose I'll have to find out how much one costs first to see if its worth changing it or putting it in for a diagnostic test.
Just a quick re-cap with ref to my 2.5 omega cutting out at 4000 rpm. I bought a new crank sensor & fitted it last week. Everything running great now - full power. Thanks to D.Dave & and all who advised.