Metallic paint - carl_a
I noticed that in the USA and many other countries they don't charge for metallic paint. Many cars only come in one or two normal colours here(some really horrible) so in many cases you have to pay extra for metallic.

Is metallic more costly to manufacture or is it just the car companies trying to make a few quid extra ?
Metallic paint - Mondaywoe
Never mind metallic! I'm the idjit (I reckon there was only one) who paid extra for having a C5 in black! What is so special about black paint? Don't think it even has a lacquer coat.

Mind you, it's great if you have a bump - just get a big bucket of tar and a 4" brush.......... Seriously, though, it is a doddle to touch up or even have resprayed. Getting a match is no problem.

Graeme
Metallic paint - Quinny100
Black paint on the C5 is pearlescent I think.
Metallic paint - Mondaywoe
Sadly not! Just plain old gloss black and not terribly thick at that! Like most water based paints nowadays it is easily damaged by bird poo etc. My one needs loads of tlc with Autoglym.

Graeme
Metallic paint - blue_haddock
To be honest it's just the manufacturers making a quick buck.

The three main non cost colours are bright red, black and white. Red and black look nice but white is hideous.

The other way to get you to have metallic is to build them to order or quote long delivery periods. I work for Toyota and generally a black Rav4 is about a 10 week wait whereas the metallic but extremely nasty island green is available for almost immediate delivery.

Metallic paint - paulb {P}
To be honest it's just the manufacturers making a quick buck.

Wouldn't argue with that. We went last weekend to see about chopping Mrs B's V-reg Punto in for a Panda. Metallic paint is £280 extra - which, given the list price of £6,800 or so for a 1.2 Dynamic, adds just over 4% to the price! The salesman told us that it will be rising to £310 later in the year - and (honest bloke!) said that he reckoned it wasn't worth spending the extra unless we really really liked one of the metallics. Fortunately, there was a solid colour that we liked.
Metallic paint - NARU
The three main non cost colours are bright red, black and
white. Red and black look nice but white is hideous.

Red looks OK new, but often fades to a horrid pink colour - much like the telephone and post boxes!
Metallic paint - blue_haddock
Red looks OK new, but often fades to a horrid pink colour

I know what you mean - look at all the blotchy pink mk2 golfs and pug 205's!

Toyota supply a cassette player as standard on a £18K RAV4

Thats only on the basic XT2 though and with some haggling you should be able to get the price down to just over 16k
Metallic paint - PoloGirl
What
is so special about black paint? It is a doddle to touch up or even have
resprayed. Getting a match is no problem.

Tell that to the people who took 3 months to get the colour right on Polo! Apparently black is one of the hardest colours to match... according to them, so probably not true at all.
Metallic paint - dylan
Total rip-off in my book.

Almost as blatant as the old cassette player/cd upgrade swindle. It beggars belief that Toyota supply a cassette player as standard on a £18K RAV4, for example.

Metallic paint - Stuartli
Lot easier to sell on with a pleasing to the eye metallic or pearlescent finish.
Metallic paint - T Lucas
I think i must be one of about 15 people in the country that likes white or yellow cars and i really cannot be bothered with silver.
Metallic paint - Stuartli
As many as 15?

White is awful, it depends on the particular shade of a yellow, but I love silver and my last two VWs have been that colour - present one is Reflex Silver.
Metallic paint - expat
As well as the cost to get metallic paint it has durability problems. If you buy a car intending to keep it for ten years or more (yes, I know I am in a minority of one), then you will find that metallic paint doesn't last as well as traditional paint. Have a look round at older cars and you will see metallic paint that has just given up. If you are looking at buying an older car then you would be better to steer clear of those with metallic paint all things being equal. Here in Australia white is the most popular colour because it reflects the heat. On a 40'C day you don't want to go back to a black car that has been sitting in the sun!
Metallic paint - T Lucas
I suppose with just about every German car finished in Conformist Silver,a few more people may get bored with it and order some different colours.Just a fashion thing really.
Metallic paint - Altea Ego
"metallic paint has durability problems"

Absolute rubbish.

Metalic paint as used these days is far superior and more durable to the solid colours. Its due to the extra layers and better laquer coat used.

no one should pay for metalic paint. No free metalic then dont buy, the dealer down the road will gladly give it away to get your monika on the form.
Metallic paint - L'escargot
I think i must be one of about 15 people in
the country that likes white or yellow cars and i really
cannot be bothered with silver.

Then that's you, me, and about thirteen others
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Metallic paint - buzbee
A white colour means a safe and cool car and gets my vote.

The less safe cars are those with matching road and hedge colours.
Metallic paint - Aprilia
Its down to fashion. I really don't like silver now, its far too common - even seen police cars in silver! I think silver is destined to be the 'new' white and in a few years time silver cars will be harder to sell on.

I've always liked solid red and dark metallic green, although a lot depends on the car (bright yellow is OK on a small FIAT, not so good on a 7-series!).

I still quite like white (it used to be very popular in the late 80's) and I notice white is still very popular in France (something to do with the heat, maybe?).
Metallic paint - henry k
I still quite like white (it used to be very popular
in the late 80's) and I notice white is still very
popular in France (something to do with the heat, maybe?).

>>
All my cars that I have gone out to buy have been white except the Mondeo, just obtained, which is silver.
I do not think white is a good colour for a MK II and I was not prepared to hunt for months for an alternative light colour.
My oh My the paint is soft and I guess I will have to learn to polish it.
The one colour I would never have is black. I think it is so naff.
Fortunately extra cost for metallic does not apply so much with S/H cars.
Metallic paint - Sofa Spud
A few years ago there was a brief fashion for a type of pearlescent paint that changed colour depending on the angle of the viewer.

Renault did Lagunas in dark metallic green that looked brown from some angles - the world's first totally uncleanable dirty-effect car! Today I saw a Nissan Micra with this type of paint in a pale metallic orange that blended to salmon pink. I don't think I could imagine a worse paint colour for a car!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Metallic paint - Civic8
Nissan did same thing.In primera.Looked horible.though owner didnt?
--
Was mech1
Metallic paint - volvoman
My last car was white (not through choice) and I quite liked it. You'd think it'd show every mark but not so - many problems like bird lime damage, smears, sticky fingerprints and calcium deposits hardly show, if at all. Other things like squished bugs show up almost as much on a dark car as on a white one. Even minor paint imperfections, dents/ripples and the like seem to be masked by white. I do like most of the dark metallic colours but the experience of many friends has been they show up everything and only look really nice when they're spotless. Black seems to be worst of all to keep looking at it's best. One of my brothers has a black 850t5 estate which is a nightmare to keep clean.

Co-incidentally I saw a brand new white Mazda RX8 the other day and it looked fabulous! Much better than I'd have thought it would.
Metallic paint - Vin {P}
">> I think i must be one of about 15 people in
the country that likes white or yellow cars and i really
cannot be bothered with silver.

Then that's you, me, and about thirteen others"

Make that you, you, me and about twelve others.

I drove a white cavalier for a while and found motorway driving a great deal less stressful as people moved out of my way in plenty of time. I wonder why? I'm sure a white Omega would do the same.

V
Metallic paint - Sofa Spud
On trips to France it's noticable that French colour taste for cars is different. Most cars are metallic gunmetal, silver, white or metallic blue. Of course, one still sees all colours of cars, but the sum effect is white / silver-grey with a dash of blue.

Cheers, SS
There is no doubt that white cars look superb. Correction, thats very very clean, very well polished white cars.

The effort and heartbreak that goes into making and keeping them looking white poished and pristine however just aint worth it. Ditto black. Nothing has more class than a gleaming mirror polished black.

Silver on the other hand hides a mulitude of sins, flies, dirt and blemishes.
Metallic paint - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
In France a few years ago, the predominant colour for Renault 4 , 6 etc was either white or off white.
If you looked closely at the finish iy t was less than glossy due to the Gallic predeliction for using Jif!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Metallic paint - Vansboy
I'm with Mr Lucas - yellow wins every time for me!!

On a sports car or a pick up or a Hummer - real cool!!

& white is REAL cool in the sunshine!

As for silver, not my taste - & isn't metalic blue, becoming the 'new' silver, anyway??!!

The only reason thers a price premium on some colours - is 'cos we're crazy enough to pay it!!

VB
Metallic paint - patently
The real rip-off is \"special colours\". BMW Individual, for example, will offer a range of colours that are too deeply unpopular to offer in the brochure, but if you pay £££££ extra then your car can look really different.

Like, for example, \"brass\", a metallic colour only available through Individual. A neighbour bought one in that colour a while back, and was SO proud. Until we had a long and heated debate as to whether it was the deep golden colour of beautiful old weathered brass, or the lighter brown colour of excrement.

I took the latter view. Surprisingly, he didn\'t. Nevertheless, every time I looked at it, the thought \"soiled brown\" sprang to mind.

(sorry mods!)
Metallic paint - P 2501
I am one of the other 12 who like white cars too...

Silver cars especially 3 series and golfs are so common now its ridiculous. I always liked dark metallic green and a that copper/bronze finish that you see in alot of newish puntos.
Metallic paint - Kuang
My guitarist is about to buy a Nissan 350Z, and went in to throw a few numbers around. He was asked what colour he wanted, replied 'blue' and was told it'd be an extra £360 because it was metallic. He then asked what other non-metallic colours were available and was told 'black'. 'Ok, I'll have that then', 'that'll also be £360 sir'.

Soo.. apparently Nissan's OTR price doesn't include paint. He asked if they'd sell him a bare metal one, but they declined... ;)
Metallic paint - Mapmaker
If galvanised, then it would look like a Picadilly line train - which I always think looks like something out of a bad 1970s space movie.
"If galvanised, then it would look like a Picadilly line train"

Oh no you dont want that. People will vomit in it, and sprya graffiti all over it
Metallic paint - ShereKhan
Maybe the garage could offer a dealer fit option of paint stripper....

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet