Dealers! - NARU
I've been having some vibration on my car (4 year old BMW 330d), which started suddenly, along with a noticeable engine noise into the cabin. It was due in for a service anyway, so I asked the dealer to have a look - I suggested it might be an engine or gearbox mount.

It came back with a note saying they thought it was the front tyres. I've just been under myself and found the cause within seconds - one of the engine mounts has come apart.

To say I'm angry and disappointed with the dealer is an understatement!
Dealers! - dilbert
I know the feeling. I've often been amazed at the ability of 'service receptionists' to filter information given to them before instructing their worksops to the point where it's almost pointless. It seems to me that they're frequently less knowledgeable about cars than the customers they serve.

A few months back I took my wifes car to the dealer for service. As I checked it in, I asked the lady on the desk to investigate a rumble from the n/s front wheel. I told her that it sounded to me a little like a worn CV joint. I watched in complete frustration as she wrote on the paperwork 'rear wheel bearings screeching'. I asked her why she had just written almost the opposite of what I had told her. She said 'Oh -they all do that'.

I've taken to asking to talk to one of the mechanics if I've a particularly complciated or vaugue problem. Much more satisfying. They normally oblige.

Dealers! - Sooty Tailpipes
I agree, you explain how something like "On a long journey Check Coolant is displayed, and when you check, it has blown out of the pressure cap all under the bonnet" and they just scribble "check coolant leaks" and when you get it back they say nothing wrong sir, just keep your eye on it.

Now, I type a sheet of info. for the technician and leave it somewhere obvious inside.
Dealers! - patently
I'd be inclined to bring this to the attention of BMW GB, or at least the MD of the dealer concerned.
Now, I type a sheet of info. for the technician and
leave it somewhere obvious inside.

An excellent idea. Thanks....
Dealers! - kenl
Yes, I do this too.

Typing out an exact description and insisting it goes with the job sheet is the only way to go. Otherwise the cryptic message from the service people results in a "no fault found" by the mechanics!
Dealers! - PhilB
Some service departments (Sytner BMW do) have service 'team managers' who go through the job sheet with you on hand over of your car, supervise the work, and discuss the work carried out when you collect the car. - no garbled messages passed down the chain, and you deal with the same person!
Dealers! - patently
Yes - I met one a while back and was very impressed.

I left with a proper understanding (a) of what had gone wrong and (b) what I had just paid for!
Dealers! - dilbert
Sorry - I posted before I got to my conclusion...

Marlot, I suspect that in your situation you told the receptionist:

"I've been having some vibration on my car which started suddenly, along with a noticeable engine noise into the cabin. I suggest it might be an engine or gearbox mount"

And all he/she heard was:

"Blah.....Blah.......Blah.......Blah.....Blah......vibration Blah......Blah......Blah......Blah......Blah.....Blah.

Still alarming that such a major component failure was completely missed, though.