Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - AgentSmith77
All,

Wifes 99T 306 1.6 suffering from a few weird issues:

* Chattering relay (sounds like indicator relay) usually after indicator has been cancelled, only when moving, and usually only after having indicated right. No light on dash though, and doesnt appear to have flashed indicators externally.

* Airbag light came on - only once whilst driving, but has happened in the last couple of weeks when the above has been happening.

* Speedo / Rev counter go to max then min, then eventually back to normal again. Not happened for a couple of weeks, but worth mentioning if anyone seen this before.

many thanks for any ideas. Dave.
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - Deryck Tintagel
I vaguely remember someone having problems with another car suffering speedometer / rev counter up and down then stopped working and airbag / ABS lights on. Turned out to be the alternator. Could be worth a check?
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - elekie&a/c doctor
The chattering noise is caused by a faulty indicator stalk switch.(common fault on Renault/peugeot/citroen variants using the same switch)Air bag Abs faults could be battery and/or alternator charging faults.
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - MikeC
hi, I have a 306HDi with indicator switch fault as you report, I raised the question in the following thread...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22363

As another member suggested, I removed the steering column surround (two screws underneath, need 'star' shaped screwdriver bit) I didn't do much more than poke the switch unit & wires, as didn't want to do too much as wary of the airbag. Anyway problem cured for 3 months but now started clicking again.

haven't experienced the other two problems....yet!
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - dieselhead
Check that all the relays in the fusebox (under steering column) are securely fitted and making good contact.
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - LeePower
Have a look under both front seats for an Orange 2 pin connection, You need to disconnect the battery FIRST ( Make sure you have the radio code & shut the alarm system down )& wait 15 minutes.

If you have side airbags fitted, there will also be another 2 pin connection under the front seats that will need a clean also, But I dont know what colour they are.

You need to unplug these, Clean them with some WD40 or similar, Make sure the terminals are a tight fit & plug them back together again, that should cure the airbag light.

Does this 306 have Peugeot branded spark plugs fitted??? The wrong brand of spark plug can cause all kind of havoc with the dashboard.

The indicator switch is another common problem on the 306, Scrapyard, Peugeot parts supplier or as a last resort a Peugeot main dealer for a new one.
Or if your feeling very brave you can remove it, take it apart & clean & lightly grease it ( But you could end up with no lights, indicators, etc ) If it wont go back together, Took me 2 attempts to put it all back together & working.
Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - Dynamic Dave
You need to unplug these, Clean them with some WD40 or
similar, Make sure the terminals are a tight fit & plug
them back together again, that should cure the airbag light.

Another contributer has previously suggested cutting off the plugs & sockets and solder the wires together. See here for more info:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=50...2

Pug 306 - Electrical Gremlins - AgentSmith77
Thanks everyone for suggestions, i'll report back how I get on.

In answer to your q's though - it doesnt have Pug branded sparkplugs, and now you wrote that I remember hearing about weird stuff happening on 406's? I'll do this first I think.

Indicator stalk sounds pricey, but if it gets much worse it sounds like replacement is the best bet here.

many thanks, dave.