Buying a used import - what to watch - Steve O
Hi,
I am thinking of changing my car to a VW Bora. I have been to see one. It's a 02 TDI SE 100BHP, with 40K for £8695. Only thing is that it is an import.
It was bought from new in Wicklow, Ireland, and was registered from new in the UK.

The spec is different from the equivilent UK model, no R/C/L, no A/C.

But what I want to know is what else should I watch out for. Is insurance difficult? Is servicing more expensive, also how much less that list price could I expect from the dealers?

Anyone done this and can offer some advice?

Thanks,
Steve O
Buying a used import - what to watch - Rosanbo
A bit of clarification might be needed here.

You have seen it for sale privately or from a dealer? What gaurantee are they giving you? The manufacturers gaurantee on this car has expired (only one year from Eire).

Insurance and servicing will cost exactly the same.

This 8695 is this the same price or cheaper than what you have seen UK models for sale at? How much cheaper is it? Do you mean (if sold by a dealer) how much discount you should be asking them for?

p.s. what's R/C/L ?
Sorry.
It is for sale from a dealer, though not a VW dealer.

There is a 3 month warranty from the dealer.

There would have been a 2 year warranty from new I think - either way it has expired.

The £8695 is the dealers sticker price. The UK list price for the same model is £9200-£9500 (Parkers).

R/C/L is remote central locking.

Basically the car is not UK spec, the original buyer would have saved some money from buying new, so I would expect it to be cheaper than a normal UK spec used Bora.

I was just checking if anyone has bought a car in similar circumstances and knows of any pitfalls or possible problems?
Buying a used import - what to watch - Rosanbo
Manual or Automatic?

Parkers price from a dealer: VW Bora 1.9 SE 100 2002/02 (avg mileage 20K)

manual 10,120
Auto 10,425

So with an extra 20K on the clock perhaps equal to about 2000 pounds of value (a guesstimate)

manual 8,120
Auto 8,425

It appears then that they are charging a little too much, No A/C take off another 400 pounds, no R/C/L take off another ??? take of a little more because it is an import say 500

I'd price it:

Manual 7,200 - value of R/C/L
Auto 7,500 - value of R/C/L

Buying a used import - what to watch - No Do$h
If you plan to run this into the ground then lack of A/c isyour decision. If you may change it in 2-3 years then lack of A/c could make it all but impossible to sell.

R/c/l is easily remedied with a remote alarm to c/l interface. Can be done for a couple of hundred quid.

It doesn't seem all that cheap. Look for comparable UK cars on Autotrader (use the link to the left and help pay for the Backroom!)

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Ok,
Thanks for the info guys,

Steve O
Buying a used import - what to watch - Hawesy1982
I agree with the others, it doesn't seem cheap enough to warrant the extra hassle and loss of spec