Auto. transmission problem on BMW. - Malvin
After jump starting on my BMW P-reg having not driven it for 3 weeks, the shift electronics for automatic transmission (telltale lamp for electronic shift control) light comes on. Looking at the manual it says:

\"This should go out when the engine is started.

- If the lamp does not go out or
- If it comes on during a journey,
there is a fault in the electronic shift control or transmission.\"

Without starting the engine, the light goes out, but comes on when the engine is running. Drove the car round the block, and which ever gear I select (D, 1,2,3) the preformance is slow to respond.

Has anyone experienced similar porblem on their car, just like to get a rough idea on what problem/solution I have and if its a garage (dealership) job and cost wise.

Thansk for your help.
Auto. transmission problem on car. - David Horn
I did read that jump starting a modern car can cause damage to the electrics - perhaps this has happened here. You could take it to a dealer who can read the fault code, though.
Auto. transmission problem on car. - Malvin
Oh dear, I hope I haven't......BTW, its only 1996 model so it should be okay..... Gos, dreading how much the dealer will charge now.
Auto. transmission problem on car. - Sooty Tailpipes
Did you switch all the lights blower screen etc.. on before disconnecting jump leads? That is what it says in the owner's manual for the BMW anyway.

To be honest, it sounds like the fluid could be low, maybe the jump start is a red herring?
Auto. transmission problem on car. - henry k
Did you switch all the lights blower screen etc.. on before
disconnecting jump leads? That is what it says in the owner's
manual for the BMW anyway.

Interestingly others say do NOT switch on lights before disconnecting jump leads to avoid blowing bulbs.
Errr....no......what i done was connected one of those mobile jump starter unit from Argos, waiting until all the dashboard lights goes off, started the engine and thats it really. And then when I disconnected the jump starter unit, moved into D mode and then that light came on.

Drove it round the block hoping its a temp. issue. But the acceleration is very slow.
Also I checked the transmission fluid dipstick, the level is between max/min.
Auto. transmission problem on car. - Ivor E Tower
May I suggest that you now disconnect the battery overnight, then re-try the next morning. May be something needs re-setting after the "shock" of jump starting?
Okay, I'll do that. But......that light kinda matches with the preformance problem I had whiles going round the block, so it might not possibly be a shock/re-setting.