Congestion Charge Fine - Caspar
I sold my old Micra about 5 weeks ago and received a £40 congestion Charge Fine in the post a couple of weeks later.
The incident occured about a week after i\'d sold the car.
I send back the form saying I\'d sold the car but couldn\'t remember the full address of the buyer - but i had sent the registration document back to DVLA as required by law.
This morning they sent a further letter rejecting my reason and saying that DVLA had confirmed that I was in fact the owner on this date. What can I do now? DVLA don\'t seem to have received the log book and I don\'t have the new owners address so they are holding me responsible for this fine and presumably any other offences commited by the new owner in the future.
Has anyone come across a similar situation before?
Congestion Charge Fine - BrianW
DVLA can take a time to process changes.
I suppose you sold the car for cash and didn't bank a cheque?
Congestion Charge Fine - Ivor E Tower
Do you have any evidence of when you sold the car - copy of bank statement showing money paid in (cash or cheque?) - or try contacting DVLA yourself asking them to confirm that they received your change of ownership slip.
Congestion Charge Fine - Caspar
Yes - I sold the car for cash so have no proof of the sale. I'll ring DVLA tomorrow and see what they say.
Thanks
Congestion Charge Fine - v0n
DVLA started conveniently "loosing" a lot of returned V5's since they introduced £19 fee for reissuing lost V5 to new owner (remember that V62 form you could pick at post office, send out and receive replacement V5 for free?).

I bought an estate car for temporaty use at the end of April. I was there when guy packed signed and updated V5 into envelope and posted it out. What's more, two weeks later when I was buying road tax for the car in local Post Office they took the green slip from original V5 I had to update records again. So, DVLA was informed twice of change of ownership, and yet I never received new V5. When I called them last week I was told they weren't informed about change of ownership and told me to fill up V62 and attach check for £19... I don't think so.
Congestion Charge Fine - Dynamic Dave
I send back the form saying I\'d sold the car...

Providing you have sent off the slip to the DVLA, you will shortly receive a letter from them thanking you for notifying them that you are no longer the registered keeper of said car.

DVLA took approx 21 days to send me a letter after I sold a vehicle recently.

Once you have this letter, that\'s all the proof you need that you are no longer the resgistered keeper.

As it was 5 weeks ago, if I was you, I would compose a letter to the DVLA informing when you sold the vehicle and outline the problems with the CC charge you\'ve received for it. Until you do, you are liable for any speeding tickets, CC charges, etc. Mail goes missing every day - you could be one of the unlucky ones that it has happened to. Write that letter NOW.

Congestion Charge Fine - Badger
I traded in my old Mazda through a dealer, taking great car to send the change-of-owner slip to the DVLA. A few weeks later, I began receiving a string of parking tickets on the car. I informed the police that someone was running around in an unregistered car. They visited the dealer who actually denied ever having handled the car (turned out one of the staff was doing a private deal and had passed the car onto his mate through the back door).

However, I refused to pay the first ticket and duly apeared in court, having first informed the court office of my defence. Before the case was heard, I swore and signed a Statutory Declaration -- on a court form -- to the effect that I had disposed of the car, etc., etc.. This was put to the bench, the case was thrown out and I heard no more.

This must be a common situation but it does seem that the courts at least have a way round it.
Congestion Charge Fine - Badger
One other point that is worth noting. The reason the police chased me, even though I had sent the change-of-ownership slip to DVLA is that the DVLA refused to accept it. Why? Because the dealer denied the transaction and it became my word against theirs. As in so many other areas, the villain need only lie his way out of it. However, after I had sworn the Stat Dec I heard no more, but don't assume that you are fireproof just because you returned that slip.