Insurance Advice on Probs. - Trenton
Hi folks
Some advice please.
My sister drove her one year old VW Polo (cost £10,000 new) through a country road in bad weather and unfortunately went through a mass of water not realising how deep it was. The result is that the water came up to the bonnet and drowned the engine. The VW garage said its a write off, and a new engine will cost £4,000.

She is comprehensive insured, yet they turned round and said tough luck, we arent paying you since the water build up was a "breakdow" and caused by an "Act of God".

Now I dont drive but I went through her Policy which stated quite clearly she is covered for "loss or damage" to the insured vehicle.

She suffered damage, so what is the point of comprehensive insurance? Does it mean you must be in an accident with another vehicle to claim? If the vehicle is written off by a driver, why cant they put her back in the position she was before the "damage"?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Insurance Advice on Probs. - martint123
I'm afraid I'm with the insurance company on this one, mechanical breakdown.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - SjB {P}
I would be pretty aggrieved if this happened to me. Sure, mechanical breakdown was the end result, but it was caused by a genuine accident by the Insured. She was in control at the time, so the fact that she drove through deep water caused by an Act of God is not itself an Act of God, either.

In a similar vein, I just got my motorcycle insurance renewal thorugh the post, and spotted that acts of terrorism are excluded. Just checked the V70 insurance, that for the Missus's 306, and our buildings insurance, all with different insurers, and the same clause applies.

Pants. Just the same as I think about the huge landslip excess for buildings insurance.

If my car, motorbike, or house gets detroyed despite all reasonable care taken by me, I don't care how it gets destroyed, I just want it to be treated as an accident and to be put back in the same state as before - not betterment - at the insurer's cost.

I have long thought that comprehensive should mean just that: Comprehensive. Cover for all accidental damage bar fraud. If Comprehensive were called something else, fine, but not whilst it has a name that calls it something that it clearly is not. Of course, to provide truly comprehensive cover would imply a higher premium, but this is fine too. At least give the option, and be clear about it.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - frostbite
Quite agree, SjB, if she had aquaplaned into a tree or a wall then there would have been no question about payout.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Mark (RLBS)
I\'m not sure its accidental damage. She drove deliberately, although unwisely, into the water and the car failed to cope and a breakdown resulted.

If she had hit the water, lost control, and hit a tree, then I suspect that would have been covered since she would not have intended to hit the tree, that would have been accidental.

If another car had hit her, that again would have been an accident.

If she had deliberately put diesel in her petrol engine, without understanding, and blown the engine up, that would not have been covered. I don\'t think this is so different.

I\'m afraid I\'m with the insurance company on this one.

As for conversations about what should or should not be covered; I regret I don\'t have much sympathy for that either. The company will supply you with a large document explaining exactly what insurance cover you have paid for and what you have not.

People either don\'t read and understand it, or they fail to appreciate that they didn\'t get cover for something they didn\'t realise that they needed.

You can get insurance against just about anything in this world, if you firstly realise that you need/want it and secondly are willing to pay the premium.

If you want it, then go to Lloyds and get \"All Risks\" insurance for your house/car/budgie. I doubt you\'ll like, or be willing to pay, the premium; but you can get it.

Insofar as general motoring is concerned, I would have said that \"comprehensive\" was a fair term, albeit that its misused and misunderstood by punters as often as \"knock for knock\" is.

Insurance Advice on Probs. - carl_a
Perhaps asking an insurance expert might help, I was reading something a few months ago (can't remember the publication) where people were paid out because the insurance ombudsman ruled in their favour and the cases were similar to this one.

Check out
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Even if it does have to be payed for then i'm sure the engine can be replaced for much less than 4k. I know a friend who deals with recon TDI engines for Golf's etc at about £1500.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - No Do$h
Perhaps asking an insurance expert might help, I was reading something
a few months ago (can\'t remember the publication) where people were
paid out because the insurance ombudsman ruled in their favour and
the cases were similar to this one.
Check out
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

I read Ombudsman News each time it comes out (as dull as it sounds, but that\'s the line of work I\'m in). Contrary to popular opinion, the Ombudsman is there to assess both sides of the case and sdjudicate fairly, they aren\'t a rubber-stamp consumer champion, more an arbitration service. One area that they are unable to overturn is clearly stated policy terms and conditions, as these are a commercial matter and not subject to regulation.

It is worth noting that the ombudsman won\'t consider a complaint until you have exhausted the regulated complaints process with the insurer. This process requires that the firm in question provides a full and final response within 8 weeks. If they are unable to do so within this timeframe you may refer the case to the Ombudsman at that stage, but be aware that even then the ombudsman won\'t start to investigate the case until the insurer has provided a response (although they will apply pressure to get that response out to you sooner).

If you beleive that a term of the insurance contract has been applied in a subjective and discriminatory manner then you may get a result through the complaints process/ombudsman. If the insurer has applied an unambiguous contractual term that was set out in the policy documentation then you have little or no chance.

HTH

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Thanks to all the replies, which will be passed on.
One thing the garage said which I find weird is that the deep water would have been pushed up the exhaust pipe and into the cylinder head, causing damage. I findd it weird in the sense if she still drove out of the water, the power of the engine exhaust would have pushed the water out, so internal intake + damage would be minimal (I think) !!!
Still,not my problem, thankfully,but makes me wonder about policies slanted against the driver.
Thanks again, folks.
It wouldn't have gone up the exhaust. Most likely got drawn in through the air intake. On most TDi cars this is mounted as low and far forward as possible to draw in the coldest and therefore densest air to increase power.

First thing I did when I got my Alfa (apart from getting down on my knees and kissing the bumper) was to, er, get down on my knees and look under the bumper to check the location and height of the air intake so I knew how big a problem I would have with deep water.

Suffice to say I stay clear of standing water. It's below and behind the front foglights, so VERY low.

If push came to shove (or tow...) I'd disconnect the trunking from the airbox to the intercooler and let unfiltered air run through the engine for a short period if that was the only way I could get through a flooded section and it was imperative I did so. Unlikely, but something that all TDi owners of all makes should consider.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Insurance Advice on Probs. - BazzaBear {P}
ND, if you look a bit more closely at the routing of the air intake on your car, you'll probably find that, before it gets to the air filter, there is a u-bend system and a box which basically has a kind of maze in it to ensure no water can make it through.
As to whether you trust that system, that's up to you, but all Alfa's have the intake very low and at the front, and I've never heard of one suffering from hydraulicking (sp?).
As to whether you trust that system, that's up to you,
but all Alfa's have the intake very low and at the
front, and I've never heard of one suffering from hydraulicking (sp?).

Hmmmm.

No. I'll go with disconnecting it. The JTD gulps in air at a prodigious rate and I fail to see how any number of chambers, airlocks, periscopes and diving bells will stop water getting gulped at a similar rate.

Perhaps Alfa owners love their cars too much to drive them through floods, hence the lack of problems reported?

I suspect some wag will be along in a minute to tell us that the engine never gets that far as the bodywork disolves on contact with water.
I think if it were in any way a mixture of air and water the design would cause the water to fall back down (although I can't find the words to explain why), but yes, if it were 100% water it was sucking in, I can't see any system working.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Turbodog
Having just returned from a 3 day jaunt to spain where our rental renault clio diesel did seemed to do about 350km on ?20 worth of diesel I'm thinking a TDI might be my next car (though didn't like the clio at all). However I live in a Devon village with frequent flooding, so driving through puddles of several inches is not unusual. Would I be much more likely to damage the engine as you've described than if I had the same car with a petrol engine? Probably going to get a golf, but waiting to see whether the 5 door A3 or 1 series are worth the extra cash.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Insect
Diesels must be more at risk than petrols because there is much less combustion chamber volume in a diesel at tdc than in an equivalent petrol, so it would require less water to be sucked into a diesel to wreck it. Air intake position is probably more important, however, and this does not depend on the type of engine.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - martint123
>>>ND, if you look a bit more closely at the routing of the air
>>>intake on your car, you'll probably find that, before it gets to
>>> the air filter, there is a u-bend system and a box which
>>>basically has a kind of maze in it to ensure no water can make
>>>it through.

If the engine is on the induction stroke, it will suck water past those things. I suspect they are for tuning the inlet tract and/or noise reduction rather than to stop wather getting in??

Martin (whose MX5 has very weird appendages before and after the air filter which the book says is for 'tuning'.

ND, if you look a bit more closely at the routing
of the air intake on your car, you'll probably find that,
before it gets to the air filter, there is a u-bend
system and a box which basically has a kind of maze
in it to ensure no water can make it through.
As to whether you trust that system, that's up to you,
but all Alfa's have the intake very low and at the
front, and I've never heard of one suffering from hydraulicking (sp?).

Bazza, you may want to read the content of the following link
vamp.idlers.org/~jaffa/guidelines.htm

:o(
Yikes. I think I may just take a step back from this thread, since I've obviously been talking pure guff since it's inception

*Bazza hides under table, whimpering, in the foetal position*
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Dalglish
trenton -

the association of british insurers says

www.abi.org.uk/Display/default.asp?Menu_ID=946&Men...2

Motor
My vehicle has been damaged in a flood what claim can I make under my motor policy?
If you have a comprehensive policy you can make a claim. The severity of the water damage will determine how the claim is handled and whether your car can be repaired or is a total loss. Factors which the insurer will take into account are the depth of immersion and the contamination of the water.
If you have third party only, or third party, fire and theft there is no cover in place and you will have to arrange and pay for any repairs you undertake.

however, you should check with them whether they agree this opinion applies in your case.

Insurance Advice on Probs. - borasport20
Dalglish - as usual, somebody who knows better then me well be along shortly, but I suspect that 'flood' in the ABI context means 'I parked the car and when i got up in the morning it was under three foot of water' as opposed to 'It had been raining heavily and i drove into some water that turned out to be a lot deeper than I thought it was'

Hi all
Thanks again to everyone for responding on this matter of water intake probs, Ombudsman and to Dalglish as to ABI statement on flood damage to enable a claim (which can be construed a number of ways as borasport20 said!!)

That?s the problem...interpreting the insurance clauses...her policy clearly states ?covered for any loss or damage to the insured vehicle,excluding mechanical, electrical, computer breakdown.? In one sense I agree as to mechanical breakdown clause if it fails to start first thing in the morning or cuts out whilst on a shopping trip, but not the sneaky way of denying liability here.

Here there has been damage due to an unforeseen accident. They are saying that a Comp covered driver approaching a pool of water after heavy rain, driving carefully through it not knowing the depth of the water,(whether one inch of three feet) getting out the other side and the engine dying on them is classified as a mechanical breakdown.

I call it evading paying out for repairs!!

To me, its damage due to an unforeseen circumstance that should be covered by the premium she paid for a nurse driving and living in the countryside...that?s what insurance cover is for because they took her money as a premium for that area after calculating the risk to them.

Logically, if the low slung air intake duct took in water, doubtful that the main bearings are shot to pieces or much damage to cylinder head (??), more likely X amount of water mixing with oil and air, and the few electrical components on her Polo TD are drowned.

As for the Main Dealer garage asking K4 for a new engine, more likely trying to stiff the insurance company if they are/were paying, though I thought the insurers would have their own list of approved repairers to save costs.

All these problems give new meaning to what Comp cover is for, so all drivers should beware and read their policy carefully as others have said, to see what is and is not covered.

She has hired a professional engineer from an ?Expert Witness? list to examine the car and give an independent report as to the problem whilst the garage try initial repairs and subject to the comprehensive report (no pun intended) will ask the insurers to look again at her claim.
Should be interesting !!!
Thanks.
Logically, if the low slung air intake duct took in water,
doubtful that the main bearings are shot to pieces or much
damage to cylinder head (??), more likely X amount of water
mixing with oil and air, and the few electrical components on
her Polo TD are drowned.

If only that were the case. When a car draws in water through the air intake at gets fed into the combustion chamber. Here the pistons will continue to hammer up and down, compressing whatever is in the piston at the time.

Except water isn't known for it's compressibility.

So the piston rises up and meets a mass of water. The water stays at a constant volume, so where does it go? It finds the weakest point (the valves) and blows them to pieces. Bits of valve enter the chamber, adding to the damage on the next compression stroke. Valves, pistons, gaskets and main bearings all bend and buckle under the strain.

All this in 1/10th of a second.

Add the electrical damage and yes, £4k for a new engine and ancilliaries is about right. After all, do you want the car to have a recon engine?
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Cliff Pope

Driving into water of unknown depth isn't an "accident", it's an "intentional".

How fast should you drive through a puddle if you don't know its depth? About 1 mph,leaning out with the door open. Or wait and watch another car go through. Or get out and inspect on foot.

Sorry, I have to agree totally with the insurance company.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Mapmaker
>1/10th of a second

Aassuming 1 cylinder i.e. 1/4 of a revolution. Assuming 1200 rpm. Closer to 1/5000th of a second, methinks.

I'm talking about the engine going through one complete stroke cycle to destroy the valve gear, a clear stroke whilst the valve gear bounces around and a third for the fused and twisted valve gear to interfere with the piston's travel and start to put strain on the main bearings.

I figure that as it's a diesel we're looking at maybe 2,000 RPM. 3 strokes of any given piston at that engine speed takes about 0.09 of a second. Allow for a bit of deceleration and I reckon 1/10th just about does it.
I'm talking about the engine going through one complete stroke cycle
to destroy the valve gear, a clear stroke whilst the valve
gear bounces around and a third for the fused and twisted
valve gear to interfere with the piston's travel and start to
put strain on the main bearings.
I figure that as it's a diesel we're looking at maybe
2,000 RPM. 3 strokes of any given piston at that
engine speed takes about 0.09 of a second. Allow for
a bit of deceleration and I reckon 1/10th just about does
it.

Sometimes ND, you really give away the fact that you drink real ale ;)
My nickname at Liverpool Victoria was "Right". And of course I drink real ale! None of that gassy german rubbish for me.

Although the Belgian Trappiste Monks knock up a pretty reasonable brew :o)
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Dynamic Dave
My nickname at Liverpool Victoria was "Right".

Except when he's wrong - which he rarely admits to ;o)

Insurance Advice on Probs. - SjB {P}
...After all, do you want the car to have a recon engine?

Perhaps, yes.

As I posted the other day, I did exactly this with a previous car, and ended up with an engine built from higher quality parts than many of the originals, for less than half the cost of a new engine from the manufacturer. It went on to provide years of reliable service. I was also informed that because the (iron) block of the donor engine was a few years old, it was better stress relieved than a new one, and more likely to stand up to the rigours of the considerably enhanced state of tune that I opted for.

In a similar vein, most people would dismiss out of hand using recycled oil to lubricate their engines, but I am reliably informed that this can have lower sulphur content, but equally good 'other' (I am no chemist) properties as 'new' oil. Given that some large companies whose vehicles rack up intergalactic mileages, and who can't afford to have them broken down and off the road do exactly this, I guess there is some truth in it. They wouldn't save money on oil if it cost them in lost business.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - David Horn
While I tend to agree with the insurance company here, sometimes you can end up going through water at a relatively high speed.

I was driving back home one night (heavy rain most of the day, though it had stopped in the last few hours) and on rounding a corner came across a lake across the road that was about 8 inches deep. As I was doing 20-30 MPH and it was right on the other side of the bend, I just plowed straight through it. Didn't cause any damage to my Xsara TD, but if I'd been going faster I can see there being a problem. Also, the air intake on my car is high up, level with the headlights.

How deep was the water she went through?
Insurance Advice on Probs. - David Horn
Oh. Bonnet deep.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Altea Ego
I think that means "at the speed she hit the water the bow wave came up over the bonnet"

Bonnet deep would suggest it was 3 - 4 feet deep - unlikely on a road unless its a swollen ford.
Bonnet deep would suggest it was 3 - 4 feet deep
- unlikely on a road unless its a swollen ford.

No, it wasn't a swollen Ford, it was a Sub VeeDub.

I'll get me coat.
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Altea Ego
-Thunk - THUNK - THUNK

( head hitting table )
Hi folks
Final update ? her Polo TD was towed away to the insurer?s recommended garage (?) for diagnostic inspection, and her independent engineer was there as well this morning at 8am. The outcome is that they both told the insurer on the phone that the vehicle needs a new engine (which we all know), and her solicitor also phoned them to challenge the policy clauses.

The happy outcome is that insurers mysteriously had a rethink and took in account the bad weather that day of the accidental damage. They agreed to pay for a new engine at the VW main dealer, (K4 +change), and courtesy car for duration. Now I don?t know what a ?new engine? means, whether brand new off the shelf and fitted in the bay, or the existing one stripped down and reconned. I will leave that to the professionals of these forums to ponder.

I suppose the moral of this story is to never take an insurance company at face value when they reject a claim, and fight your corner if you are Comp. Also to be careful driving in country roads after heavy rains!! But how many people would just walk away if initially rejected like that?

And Renault Family was correct, the water apparently was "at the speed she hit the water the bow wave came up over the bonnet", so she wasn?t driving fast. I think maybe that was the legal point as to why they changed their minds, not to see it in court where country roads dip and retain water.

Anyways, she is happy and driving around country lanes in a courtesy Fiesta. Hope its dry this week where she is!!!!
Thanks to all again..
Insurance Advice on Probs. - Dalglish
trenton -

i am pleased for you & your sister.

persistence pays, never take "no" for an answer without further investigation and thought.

i almost feel smug that i was proved right in pointing you to the abi stance on this issue.

well done.