BMW 518 M reg - Brian
Is this the right place to ask for technical advice from anyone. Recently the rear inside door handle does not open the door (the child lock is not activated) although it can be opened normally from the outside.
Does anyone have knowledge of this problem or how to remove the inside door lining so that I can examine the mechanism?
Re: BMW 518 M reg - David W
Brian,

Should be an easy one this. Get a Haynes for your car to see where the door panel fixings are. They will be a combination of screws and clips, some hidden by bits of trim to catch the unwary.

Once the panel is off the problem will be obvious. The door pull release is quite a crude linkage in all cars. Sometimes a link will have dropped off, other times a part breaks. Either way the method to sort it will be obvious.

David
Re: BMW 518 M reg - Mark (Brazil)
From memory.....

The door rest has three deep-seated screws in it. Undo and remove them, including the door rest itself.

The fixing around the door handle needs to be pushed in and moved to the front or back, I don't remember which, it will then fall off in your hand.

I'm assuming that it doesn't have window winders.

The door panel has those horrible, round, plastic clips at the bottom which should just pull out, but will break if you try. Use a screw driver and sharp movement to pop them out. They run across the bottom and 3/4 of the way up the sides.

At the top the panel has a lip which slots over and slightly inside the metal, therefore you need to life the panel up and off.
"From memory....."

Bet you went out at lunchtime and bought the Haynes!

David
If I had, it would have said....(well actually it wouldn't, because it would have been in Portuguese, but I write Spanish faster, not better, just faster)

De memoria.....

El resto de la puerta tiene tres tornillos profundamente arraigados en él. Deshágalos y quite, incluyendo el resto sí mismo de la puerta.

La fijación alrededor de las necesidades de la manija de la puerta de ser empujado hacia adentro y de ser trasladado el frente o a la parte posteriora, no recuerdo cuál, él entonces caerá apagado en su mano.

Estoy asumiendo que no tiene devanaderas del Window. El panel de la puerta tiene esos clips horribles, redondos, plásticos en el fondo que debe apenas sacarse, pero se romperá si usted intenta uso un destornillador y un movimiento sostenido de hacerlos estallar hacia fuera.

Se ejecutan a través del fondo y del 3/4 de la manera encima de las caras. En la tapa el panel tiene un labio que las ranuras encima y levemente dentro del metal, por lo tanto usted necesiten vida el panel para arriba y de.
I've developed a method with Haynes that I buy the book but leave it in the office. Struggle on with the job and refuse to walk 100ft to look at the thing.

As long as 50% of the clips fit back it'll be fine??

Of course your version of Haynes would be no use, we only do English and Fen here.

David
Re: BMW 518 M reg - Darcy Kitchin
I have stolen a plastic cook-book holder from Madame's lair (the kitchen) which holds a Haynes manual admirably. Weighted with a suitable spanner or torque wrench, it will even stay upright in a brisk wind (we amateurs often have to work outside).
Re: BMW 518 M reg - ian (cape town)
Darcy, weight it with a piece of clear perspex, and you have the added advantage of not getting the pages grubby!
Ian,

If I didn't get the pages grubby on my Land Rover Haynes I wouldn't remember which bits of the re-build were finished!

I save the £25 Land Rover official manual for best.

David
Ian, it is clear perspex, that's the idea, the book stays open behind the perspex and you follow the pics.
>(we amateurs often have to work outside).

I remember that. Wrapped up in every piece of clothing I could find, working with an inadequate 60w bulb on a wire, trying to do up difficult to reach nuts and smashing my cold knuckles on colder metal - guess how much I miss that !!

By the way, when working on cars in that way, isn't it amazing how many unneccessary nuts, bolts and washers were fitted to older cars ? I always used to have loads left over and it never seemed to make much difference.
Re: BMW 518 M reg - Dan J
I never took my old Maestro apart without having various bolts/emissions controls etc left over afterwards - never did it any harm!
Re: BMW 518 M reg - Brian
I am amazed at the number of replies to my problem ( not all helpful) but a special thanks to Mark Brazil for information that I shall try - the English not the Portuguese. David W suggested Haynes,but they do not publish any manual for this year and model or I would not have asked for help.
Does anyone know of a dedicated BMW site where I might get advice from someone who knows for sure whether I should pull,push, lift or twist the interior door panel to get it off?Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>
> If I had, it would have said....(well actually it wouldn't,
> because it would have been in Portuguese, but I write Spanish
> faster, not better, just faster)
>
> De memoria.....
>
> El resto de la puerta tiene tres tornillos profundamente
> arraigados en él. Deshágalos y quite, incluyendo el resto sí
> mismo de la puerta.
>
> La fijación alrededor de las necesidades de la manija de la
> puerta de ser empujado hacia adentro y de ser trasladado el
> frente o a la parte posteriora, no recuerdo cuál, él entonces
> caerá apagado en su mano.
>
> Estoy asumiendo que no tiene devanaderas del Window. El panel
> de la puerta tiene esos clips horribles, redondos, plásticos
> en el fondo que debe apenas sacarse, pero se romperá si usted
> intenta uso un destornillador y un movimiento sostenido de
> hacerlos estallar hacia fuera.
>
> Se ejecutan a través del fondo y del 3/4 de la manera encima
> de las caras. En la tapa el panel tiene un labio que las
> ranuras encima y levemente dentro del metal, por lo tanto
> usted necesiten vida el panel para arriba y de.
>>who knows for sure whether I should pull,push, lift or twist the interior door panel to get it off?

Oh, its definitely lift. Although as I rack my brain, I seem to remember that the rear door rest has two screws, its the front that had three.

Its just that little surround around the interior door handle that slides forward or back, and I don't remember which. BTW, on some, if you look carefully in the middle of the inside door handle surround there is a little bit of pop out plastic with a small screw behind it. Best not to forget.

> Does anyone know of a dedicated BMW site

If you go to the front page of this site, there is an option on the left entitled "directories". One of those directories is "Car Clubs".

Guess what was in there ???

www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/indexfiles/mainfram.html
Re: BMW 518 M reg - Brian
Brilliant - why didn't I think of that - many thanksMark (Brazil) wrote:
>
>
> > Does anyone know of a dedicated BMW site
>
> If you go to the front page of this site, there is an option
> on the left entitled "directories". One of those directories
> is "Car Clubs".
>
> Guess what was in there ???
>
> www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/indexfiles/mainfram.html
> Is this the right place to ask for technical advice from anyone.

Mmm, well the answer would be yes, but only if you can stand sorting the valuable advice (mine) out from the appalling humour (David's).
Mark,

You're lucky you're getting anything from me. I'm still "off" today with the old "war wound" playing up. Actually feeling quite grumpy until I got out in my slippers with the new pressure washer!

SWMBO will go mad when she sees the stripes up everything.

David
With your luck you're gonna break the thing and get left with those stripes.
Waterproof slippers, David? Every Fen-dweller has a pair, I guess.
I suspect David used to have one of those "double" slipper things that you can put both feet in at the same time - they always used to be for sale in the Express classifieds.

I suspect he only changed to waterproof Fen slippers after falling on his face every time he tried to leave his chair to go and visit his landrover.
Showerproof slippers but no match for this new wonder machine Darcy.

David