Merde PUG 306! What does this code mean? - thalamus89
I recently used a gunsons unit to flash the fault code from my PUG 306 2.0 8V XSi 1997 reg. Basically it stalls when starting from cold. After 5 mins it's ok and won't stall.
I thought it was
something to do with lambda sensor. The gunsons unit gave me code 52 which in it's code book says the car has a fault with the "Lambda system control".

Now is this something I can fix myself? I.e. put in a new lambda sensor or lambda system control or is this a garage job? I'm pretty handy with the
car, not the best but I can muddle through. The Haynes manual I've got isn't much use with this problem.

Please help me obi-wan k'honest johns. You're my only hope.
Merde PUG 306! What does this code mean? - elekie&a/c doctor
Stalling from cold is possibly a fault with idle control valve.It is unlikely to be the lambda sensor causing this problem because it is not in use until engine temp is approx 40degrees C.
That's what I thought.

So in the past 6 weeks it has had a new stepper motor, new engine temp sensor, fuel injection cleaner through the system for over 400 miles (which temporarily fixed the problem) and then I finally got the code read.

I have checked for air leaks, cannot find any evidence of any. Only thing that looks off is a few wires coming from the MAP sensor were wearing, so I had to insulate them up. Could these wires cause the problem?
Merde PUG 306! What does this code mean? - deslynam
I would suggest doing an ECU reset before you go buying any more parts.

Make sure you've got the radio code.
Disconnect +ve lead on the battery for 20minutes.
Reconnect.
Turn ignition key to 2nd notch (I think, but might be 1st!) & leave for 10 seconds (resets stepper motor).
Turn on all lights & heater on full blast.
Start engine and leave running until the fan comes on (this sets everything up for max. alternator load).

Go out for an enjoyable drive - shouldn't matter if you potter about or give it some beans. It'll take a day or two for the ECU to remap itself.
It would be best to do the reset & following drive when the air's cooler so that the ECU can map to the colder air - providing you a small benefit until the next hot spell...

If you need more info on it, www.306gti6.com frequently has it listed on the forum - just do a search.
The Pug Sport Official Owner's Club, www.psooc.com may also be useful ;-)
Thanks Des!!