VW tdi fuel filter - Heebeegeetee
Evening All,

My VW Bora tdi has lost power. It's perfectly driveable but has lost a lot of oomph.

I'd like to change the fuel filter just to see what difference this would make. How do I do this?

I've located the filter, but I imagine I would have to depressurise the fuel system before tackling the job. This is the bit that I need information for.

Can any of you guys help?

Thanks in anticipation,

Heebee
VW tdi fuel filter - PhilB
Is there a problem with the turbo?
I don't confess to know all that much about them, but i once lost the turbo (and associated extra power) on a Zantia when the compressor(?)pipe fell off.
VW tdi fuel filter - BB
Don't know about th efuel filter, but as PhilB says, could be related to the turbo. Wastegate stuck open: MAF sensor
VW tdi fuel filter - Heebeegeetee
I think if it was the turbo I'd expect to hear some sort of associated sound or noise.

The car seems fine in all respects, including fuel economy. I've always understood that diesels always need a clean fuel filter. The car has been regularly seviced, but hell, what does that mean?

I just thought I'd like to take the opportunity to change the filter myself so that I can see what difference that alone makes.

I think I need to depressurise the system, possibly by removing the correct fuse or relay then turning the engine on the starter motor. This is what I need info on.

Anyone able to help?

HB
VW tdi fuel filter - trancer
Why do you think it will be pressurized after the car has been switched off?. I have changed a fair few fuel filters and never found any latent pressure in the line. Is there some reason why diesels would need to keep a constant fuel-line pressure when the car isn't running?.
VW tdi fuel filter - wonderwheels
I had a similar problem with my Passat 1.9Tdi PD. I was doing around 70mph when the power went.It was like driving an ordinary diesel.No "lag" when putting the boot down. Started the car up the next morning and it was fine.The turbo was replaced under warranty but it could have been several things like the wastegate ir faulty MAF sensor.Even a loose jubilee clip around a turbo pipe could play a part. To de-pressurise the fuel system, would taking the fuel cap off not solve the problem?
VW tdi fuel filter - jay_bristol
Hi hebegt
I've had a similar problem with my golf tdi mk4, drives "ok" around town but lost that oomph when power is needed. Seems to lose power at about 3000revs. I've just changed the fuel filter, no need to depressurise the system, not that i know how to, the job only took 10 mins to change it over if that.
But... The performance still hasn't changed to what it should be, booked into garage for tomorrow.
Good luck
Jay
VW tdi fuel filter - BB
Wastegate/MAF sensor problem
BB (or anyone else) What would you therefore advise, just buy a MAF sensor (VW charge 75 for exchanges), or deal with wastegate, will the wastegate just need cleaning or replacing, is it expensive?
What is the most likely cause?

Thanx
VW tdi fuel filter - BB
The best way to eliminate a MAF sensor problem would be to borrow one of a friends VW (if possible) and try it on yours. £75 doesn't sound too bad if yours needs a new one.

It may not be the MAF, but that's the first thing I would look at with the symptoms you describe. VW MAF's don't break reliabilty records.

Keep us informed.
Cheers.
VW tdi fuel filter - Craig_1969
If you do a search you will find plenty of info here about MAF/tdi problems. There is a Pierburg replacement part for a merc SL that is better than the Bosch part and works perfectly, and cheaper.
Thanx everyone for your advice, it has been much appreciated. I have just fitted a new MAF sensor, got an exchange from vw 75+vat, the car now drives loads better, no loss of power at 2500revs.
Thanx again,
Jay
VW tdi fuel filter - BB
Welcome to the VW Tdi MAF club! That's one of the reasons why I now drive a Toyota ;)