GTI6 cambelt failure following work done - deslynam
Afnoon all :-)

Last December the cambelt snapped on my 306GTI6. Bit of a bummer, but once head was 'repaired', the engine was put back together by the local garage dealing with it, and a complete new cambelt kit fitted, amongst other things.

However, in an effort to cure a residual tapping noise (suspected to be a remaining dodgy valve), the garage had the head off a few weeks ago and guides redone. Still no cure...

Last weekend they put in another inlet camshaft & a set of hydraulic lifters/tappets (2nd hand, supplied by me) - still to no effect (nor cost to me).

Unfortunately the cambelt's gone again - it's shredded & looks like spaghetti! Plus it made a horrible grating sound when trying to turn-over :-O

My question is this;
Where do you think I stand legally and what am I now entitled to ask for?

Obviously the belt can't have been dodgy when they refitted it or they'd have replaced it.
The belt may well have been rubbing on something once reassembled, as there was a whirring noise that hadn't been there the previous week.

I'm going to push for a new engine rather than a new cyl. head as I was giving it some beans at the time and I would suspect all the valves will be knackered - maybe pistons as well...

Any thoughts on the matter??
All appreciated :-)
GTI6 cambelt failure following work done - AN Other
It sounds like the garage have been pretty reasonable with you so far, even if they didn't manage to stop the tapping...

I think I'd probably approach them without demands to start with, see what thay suggested doing to sort the problem out, and take it from there.

Trading standards will probably be supportive if need be, but it sounds like you would be best trying to resolve this in a friendly way to begin with.
GTI6 cambelt failure following work done - DL
What a horrible situation the garage (and you!) are in.

I do hope it can be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction.

Please keep us posted.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
GTI6 cambelt failure following work done - deslynam
Aye,

it's not great is it! :o(

I pulled off the cambelt cover last night & took some photos, looks like the belt was rubbing against the plastic cover - perhaps suggesting why it's been shredded.

The garage will take it back soon, I'm trusting them to not 'engineer' a different fault to try & get out of it. A couple of local garages suggested going back there first before any independant inspection!