Volvo V70 D5 - update - pd
Just a quick update for all those who kindly replied to my query regarding opinions on Volvo V70's.

I had a quick go in a D5 today thanks to my kindly local dealer. Not a V70 but a S60 Auto which is basically the same car. Pretty impressed with the engine - nice and smooth and good performance. Only really a trace of diesel noise at idle when cold but on the move the only difference with petrol was the nice load of torque just where you need it. On the move I actually think it sounded better than the petrol models - they just drone but the diesel has a nice 5-cylinder roar which reminds me of the original petrol 850's. Didn't work at all badly with the auto either although they're still a bit jerkey when going slowly.

Unfortunately, the S60 (I think a 03 model) still had some of the same problems as my 01 V70. Most noticable was very loud aircon - it wheezed and hissed the whole time and was like driving with a heavy breather in the car. Incredibly annoying. Do Volvo actually drive any of their cars before putting them into production? There are also still resonance points in the rev range through the exhaust although apparently the mounting has changed on new models.

Other than that I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the dealer just couldn't get close to some of the deals being offered by certain dealers at the moment price wise. I'd much prefer to buy locally if they've made the effort with test drives etc. but I'm not paying over 2 grand for the privilidge.

Also, a point to note: Poor auction and trade prices for the V70 have really filtered into trade in offers. Do not expect much more than £7k for any petrol V70 3 or more years old with 60k plus on the clock. Volvo depreciation is now very much in the Ford Scorpio, Vauxhall Omega department (look at the auction reports on this site for starters) as far as the trade is concerned, more's the pity.

Still might go for one if I can find a decent deal though.
Volvo V70 D5 - update - Happy Blue!
pd - I have a question...

I have an S80 2.9 with Climate control. Sometimes, when I return to the car after about an hour, especially if it has gone dark in the interim, or in covered car park, the fan is blowing away pretty fast.. It stops as soon as I turn the key. Do you get this?

Otherwise, I don't have the wheezing that you suffer from and no-one else i know who has V70s or S60 suffers either. curious?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Regarding the "spontaneous air con action" this is normal on S60/V70/S80. It is to dry the system out after use if it detects excess moisture. It's not a fault.

I must be unlucky with wheezy aircon. The salesman had never noticed it either until I pointed it out on this example then he admitted that now I'd pointed it out to him it was annoying him!
Volvo V70 D5 - update - Happy Blue!
Thanks
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Oh, and on other thing. Apparently the Police are now using D5's but theirs are chipped to 200bhp+ :)
Volvo V70 D5 - update - WipeOut
The D5 in the S60 sounds great, doesn't it. It's funny I've heard of people moaning about the noise of the air con, but mine is quite, so it might just be a problem with some cars and not others.

Now for the big tip, keep your eyes open for pre-registered Volvo's at dealers. They are sold as second hand, but have only been registered with the dealer. Volvo imports too many cars every year and discounts them to the dealers. I bought my S60 D5 auto with 50 miles on the clock for £5000 cheaper!!! The car was almost exactly the specification I wanted as well, exterior, interior colour. Of course when you go in to the showroom and ask for a new car, they won't tell you this, so also ask for nearly new cars.

Good luck Wipeout