Clutch Operating Lever Failure - Brian
My daughter's Pug 106 had a clutch failure last week due to the operating lever between the cable and the clutch housing breaking across a large hole which is built into the design of the lever for no apparent purpose. It can't be for weight saving because the gain would be about a quarter of an ounce!

Apparently this is a known fault and the solution is to weld a small plate across the hole to strengthen it, preferably before it fractures.

I don't know whether other makes/models have similar daft design, but it might be worth checking and strenghtening where in doubt.
Clutch Operating Lever Failure - David Lacey
The Rover 214/414 >1992 has a weak clutch arm. It shears off where it goes into the bellhousing. Most have broken by now and have been replaced with modified items. Perhaps could be a bargaining point when buying an early model. Easy to identify a modded one - the arm is black cast arm, the weak one is a bright item.

Gearbox out to replace the parts - no quick fix here, I'm afraid.

Also, the exterior gear selector quadrants seem to snap off aswell.

David
Clutch Operating Lever Failure - David Lacey
Andrew,

Yes it is possible to change this part in situ, but that serrated roll pin can be very tight!
Consequential damage caused to the radiator etc is also a distict possibility!

David
Re: Clutch Operating Lever Failure - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Sorry to disagree David, on the 214/414 although the replacement part includes the release bearing fork you only need to swap the operating arm. Done it many times. Remember to ask for a new dowel pin.
Re: Clutch Operating Lever Failure - David W
I thought Peugeot would have sorted this by now. It was an issue with the early BXs. Later ones had a stronger arm and the new part for the earlier ones once it broke had extra reinforcement.

David