Why don't F1 cars have low profile tyres - WipeOut
We have a Formula 1 race car cluttering the reception of our office. While looking at it recently it struck me that the car doesn't have low profile tyres. When I purchase a car I try and avoid tyres which are too wide, and low profile. I feel it upsets the ride. This in turn upsets the handling and the car and skip off line when it hits a bump. Finally low profile tyres don't protect the rims when my wife is perfecting her new found hobby of extreme kerb polishing with my nice new alloys.

So here is my question. Why do high performance cars have low profiles tyres and F1 cars don't? Is it just fashion and the part of high performance cars?

WipeOut
Why don't F1 cars have low profile tyres - Chicken Madras
According to an interview with Bridgestone's Hisao Suganuma on www.f1nutter.co.uk

"Q: Why do high performance road tyres have very low profiles, while F1 tyres have very tall sidewalls?
A: The ringside of F1 is decided by regulations, we have to use 13 inch diameter rim. From a tyre point of view, it's not necessary to be a low profile tyre. Low profile tyres provides some good change of direction but even with a F1 tyre we can give some good performance into the tyre"
Why don't F1 cars have low profile tyres - BazzaBear {P}
I think also with the very rigid suspension set-up they use in F1 the bigger sidewall of the tyre provides some of the give they need to make the cars driveable.