Which 4x4 Estate - mplb
I'm in the market for a new or nearly new diesel car (not SUV) with 4-wheel drive.

At the moment I can only seem to see the Audi A4 Avant Quattro that fits the bill.

I like the look and feel of the Mazda 6 Sport AWD and the Subaru Impreza WRX but they don't come with a diesel engine.

Are there any other 4x4 diesel estate cars out there worth considering?
Which 4x4 Estate - Stargazer {P}
Not sure that the Impreza is the right car to compare to the Mazda 6 or the Audi Allroad. The Subaru Legacy or Outback would be much more comparable but still no diesel.

Have you considered the Skoda Octavia...diesel engines and some 4*4 estate versions, need to check that they are available together though

StarGazer (Subaru Outback fan)
Which 4x4 Estate - Bill Payer
VW Passat?
Which 4x4 Estate - mplb
Ugh, thanks for the suggestion but I (personally) think it's a vile looking car
Which 4x4 Estate - Ivor E Tower
Volvo XC70 and V70AWD, most Audis also come as "quattro" versions meaning 4-wheel drive, so A4 and A6, not just the all-road.
Which 4x4 Estate - bradgate
My brother has had a Skoda Octavia TDI 110 estate (not 4x4)as a company car for 3 years and has been delighted with it. 50mpg+, excellent performance and tidy handling. The only problem has been with the aircon, which needed a new compressor. He considers the Octavia an ideal practical family workhorse and reccommends it to anyone looking for a mid-size estate.

What you really want, of course, is a Subaru Legacy diesel estate. Shame they don't exist.

Which 4x4 Estate - nick
I think I'd rather pay a bit more on fuel and have a petrol Legacy that'll be bullet-proof and fun fun fun to drive.
Which 4x4 Estate - Pete M
Mitsubishi Legnum (Galant Estate) are very good. Probably don't come as a diesel, but 1.8GDi 2.4GDi, 2.5v6, and 2.5 twin turbo VR-4. I'm very happy with my (the wife's actually) VR-4. Best handling car I've had (including the Jag) with Auto Yaw Control for eliminating under/over steer, auto stability, 4WD with double LSDs. Oh, and 260bhp up to '99, 280 bhp thereafter.
See what HJ has to say about it in his guide...

PM
Which 4x4 Estate - pd
V70 D5 AWD springs to mind (see other threads). The new Legacy looks a nice car - do they do a diesel?

Which 4x4 Estate - Happy Blue!
No diesel in a Legacy, but there are some very good 2nd hand deals. Superb mechanicals and very rewarding to drive.

There is a dealer in Huddersfield so seems to be clued up and very helpful. My parents are hopefully about to buy a Forester from them..Theres another thought - Subary Forester , smaller and slightly higher than the Legacy and probably more economical.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?