Cavalier (Cambelt) - ukjohnny
Hi
I have an old 88 mrk2 cavalier, and have just brought it back tonight from the local garage after having a new cam belt fitted.
I found, that when idling at around 900rpm there is a whinning and grinding noise coming from the cambelt cover. below and above these rpm's its ok.
Would this be normal until it has settled in? or need i approach the garage about it?
Regards Johnny.
Cavalier (Cambelt) - Civic8
It`s too tight.no settling in is involved.its either fitted correctly or it isnt.Too loose it will make a noise hitting cambelt cover.best take it back.
--
Was mech1
Thanks Steve for your advice. It will be going back tomorrow!
Regards Johnny.
Cavalier (Cambelt) - Dynamic Dave

Yep, more than likely it's too tight.

Cavalier (Cambelt) - Victorbox
Yes, as suggested it is too tight but my last three Cavalier cambelts have been fitted too tight as the water pump pivot method of adjustment is useless if the water pump is seized in the housing. The only time it wasn't too tight was when the Vauxhall dealership fitted a cambelt when the car was nearly new and they must have damaged the water pump in the process as it failed soon afterwards at only 36K miles. After a few hundred miles the whine has always disappeared as the belt stretches slightly. Up to you whether you go back, but as Dynamic Dave has suggested elsewhere, you almost need to budget for a water pump swap at the same time as the cam belt change if you want the tension adjusted spot on.
yeah Vic, I know whay you mean,the last time i had the belt renewed, a couple of years ago, they had to renew the water pump, as they said it was siezed and leaky and no good.
Strange thing is, when i started the car this morning the whinning had disapeared. I gave it a good run around,expecting it to appear but its gone?, so i couldnt take it back to the garage.Strange! lets hope its ok, as im taking it down south this weekend. Thanks for advice and interest.
regards Johnny