MPV or not to MPV? - Duncan Broughton
What do you do when you've three kids, a kitchen sink, and more to move - but up to now had avoided the MPVs (small boys, and big, have enjoyed the ride in a 7 seater Nissan Terrano for the last few years but the back (small) bench seat won't be much good any longer!).

An MPV seems to be on the horizon, BUT which one? Do you go for petrol or diesel, auto or manual? I've also noticed that the 'best seller' Galaxy only has a lap belt in the middle row/middle seat (is this OK for a small child?). I see the fuel goes further in the diesels and assume they're a bit better in the damp (the roads I use have been under water the last few winters - another plus for the 4x4).

Once you've decided on all that - do you buy UK or Euro cars these days. The dealers say no-no to the 'greys' (as they would) but is it all that bad?

Any help or advice most appreciated!

PS Anyone want to buy a Terrano!!
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - ladas are cool
if you want a cheap new people carrier go for the one from KIA, as it starts at about £13500, but what i would do is buy an old toyota spacecruiser which can be bought for about £1500, and when you are finished with it, you can put it in the paper for £1500 (thats if you have looked after it).
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
The Espace is better than the Galaxy in many ways, and suffers with the same problems in others (working on the wretched things!). One of the advantages is that when you are not using all seven seats one of the lap/diagonal belts from the rearmost seats is especially lengthened to act as a lap/diagonal on the centre seat of the middle row. Added to that the endless configuration of the seating positions made it my choice.
Regarding Grey imports, as has been said many times on this site avoid the 4WD Toyota Space Cruiser derivatives (Master Ace etc) as they are notoriously unreliable. The Previa is not so risky as Toyota now import the Diesel in proper UK spec but not, to my knowledge in 4WD.
MPV or not to MPV? - David Lacey
Only one vehicle - the SEAT Alhambra PD130 6 speed. Great vehicle to own & drive.

David
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - Richard Hall
Land Rover Defender TD5 Station Wagon. Children love them, and you won't be stranded every time it rains for more than ten minutes and all the roads flood.
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - paul
MPVs look like they can get the kitchen sink et al shifted, but you'll be much better off with a decent estate car. A hired Volvo V70 shifted three kids plus assorted kit with ease on summer hols. Look carefully at available boot space in most MPVs, and you'll find it simply isn't there. I also prefer driving cars to vans. The Volvo was an excellent drive. As a motorcyclist with a hitherto inherent waryness of Volvo drivers. I'm converted.
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - Stuart B
Duncan Broughton wrote:
>
> I see the
> fuel goes further in the diesels and assume they're a bit
> better in the damp (the roads I use have been under water the
> last few winters - another plus for the 4x4).

that will definitely be a no no for the Espace then, recall quite a few with stuffed engines after sucking up flood water through the air intake.

Suggest if you live in a flood prone area, height of air intake should be one of the first things you look at, unless you get a LR with one of those snorkel things.
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - Lee H
Duncan Broughton wrote:
>
> I see the
> fuel goes further in the diesels and assume they're a bit
> better in the damp (the roads I use have been under water the
> last few winters - another plus for the 4x4).

My ZX TD died last year in a flood. Turns out that diesels are worse than petrols in water. And of the diesels, the ZX (& 306, & Berlingo & 405 & Xantia & ...) is the worst because they have such a low air intake.

Course no-one told me that before mine was knackered, thought I'd just pass on the advice.
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - Stuart B
Lee H wrote:
>
> And of the diesels, the ZX
> (& 306, & Berlingo & 405 & Xantia & ...) is the worst because
> they have such a low air intake.
>
>

Lee,

Not sure I fully understand here.

Are you saying the 405 has a low air intake or just the ZX is the worst of those you list? Both 405's of mine 1.7TD & 1.9TD had intakes high up just behind the bonnet catch on the cross member at the front of the engine compartment, and both went through some serious floods with nary a hitch. Certainly could hear the exhaust bubbling away under the surface.
Ah, I'm not sure now you mention it.

I'd assumed that they all had the same 1.9 TD Pug/Citroen engine. They may well be different, but I did see a 306 in the same predicament a few days after mine bought it.
Re: MPV or not to MPV? - ladas are cool
as long as the air intake and the exhaust are out of the water, a diesel will run, but the petrol engine wont run.
I did see a few cars drive in, conk out, push themselves out. Wait a bit and drive off. Mostly these were petrol, but I did see a Volvo 460 get away with it.

I thought mine had died because it got water where it should have had air, and that knackered the system. Was told it would be v.expensive to reapair, and so took the insurance money.

What would have been the likely damage? I don't really know a lot about the big washing machine thing under the bonnet, I just know to avoid water!