3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - Galaxian
Me again!

My \'trusty\' Laguna II Sport Tourer is now on its third gearbox since I got it - July 2003.

The problem shifting into third is still there.

I reckon that it is now unlikely that the problem is with the gearbox!

I took it out today and have developed a theory I would like to put to the techies out there.

I tried some gear changes with the clutch pedal not quite fully depressed and the problem of a crunchy/jarring gearchange seems to get worse. So, is it possible that the clutch is not being properly disengaged when I press the pedal to the floor ? Does this problem have a name ?

When the third gearbox was fitted, the slave cylinder was found to be leaking and it was changed too - might be relevant ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

x2l
Third gearbox, still broken, clutch ? - Aprilia
You're talking about 'clutch drag'.

I would have thought any mechanic worth his rations would have checked that the clutch was functioning properly.

To carefully check the clutch 'bite point' jack one of the front wheels off the ground and get an asssitant to turn the wheel. With a gear engaged, gently release the clutch; as the clutch bites your assistant will no longer be able to turn the wheel.

Obviously you can feel the bite-point on the driveway, and on some cars you have 'hear' the clutch engaging (on driveway with window open).
3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - JohnM{P}
Intermittant slipping clutch on my LagunaII diesel tourer was (eventually!) found to be due to clutch fluid leaking onto it, so I doubt that leaking slave cylinder would be cause of your problem; if it was leaking enough to stop full disengagement, I would have thought there would be ample evidence.

If your current dealer has not managed to fix the problem with 2 replacement gearboxes, I'd suggest getting another dealer to look at it (or insist on getting a head office Renault technician to inspect it).

Good luck!

3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - Altea Ego
There appears to be a "cam" mechanism on the laguna 2 that transfers the clutch pedal movement from r/h drive to normal l/h drive placement (assume from the pedal box to where the pedal box would be) Maybe this is the problem?

Also make sure the selector is not tight, the gear lever should have some free movement in it when its selected in a gear, if the lever feels tight in any gear it will wear the box.

And yes - Renault factory technical expert called for (they have them in the uk, spoke to one about brakes)
3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - Mark (RLBS)

..lift the wheels a little way off the ground and see if you can now change gear without any trouble.

Obviously being careful about how the car is supported, not falling off etc. etc.
Thanks folks.

I'm in the process of contacting Renault UK (again!) and I think I'll insist on speaking to one of their techs. So far, I've got £300 pounds of Renault vouchers and a free service from dealer number 1.

It has taken two dealers so far - the first dealer was unable to reproduce the fault after replacing the gearbox originally. I had to take the car to another dealer 50 miles away the second time. I've never asked for a new gearbox, seems that's what they do when that can't think of anything else!

I'll maybe try the wheels off the ground stuff if I can get a hold of someone to give me a hand at the weekend.

Thanks again!
3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - Mondaywoe
Tell you what Xantia_2_Laguna - try Laguna_2_Xantia :-) :-)

Seriously, though, sorry to hear of your problems. I ran Renaults for years before I moved to Citroen and always thought they were very reliable cars. Nevertheless, I bought my last car (Xantia) new and ran it for 9 years / 105,000 miles on the original clutch, clutch cable - and yes - clutch cable clip!

If the Laguna is still under warranty make sure you get it fixed to your satisfaction before it runs out.

Good luck!

Graeme
Just back from a week in very sunny Horsham :-)

While I was away, I had the car in again to try and get to the bottom of the problem.

I have some news !!!

Turns out it's a design fault with the ... GEARBOX !

They tested a brand new one and were able to find the same fault as well as confirming mines still has the fault.

Here's my problem. The fault is bad enough to warrant two gearbox changes. The service manager at the garage where they confirmed the fault said there would be little point in putting in a third gearbox and we agreed that I would have to contact Renault UK customer services (that's the polite name for them!)

What do I do ?

I have a few ideas:

1. Ask for my money back
2. Ask for another Renault model (closest for my needs would be an equivalent Scenic)
3. Ask for a large enough amount of money (cash not Renault money) so that I can dump the thing

Not sure I'm going to have much luck, but I have to try!

Any more ideas folks ?

x2l :-(
3rd gearbox,still broken, clutch? Laguna - Civic8
If as you say its a design fault.could be any number of reasons.
would suggest you ask for another model ie one that has a different box.no point getting any model that has this box.Though not certain about probs like this.would ask for money back.But that would depend on how much you like the motor and whether the dealer/Renault are willing to co`operate.if prob is that serious.maybe they will.but I guess things arent that straight forward.wish you luck hope all turns out ok.
--
Was mech1
If they tested the brand new gearbox after fitting it to your car, an alternative take on things would be that as there are lots of Lagunas running around without evidence of a 'design fault', yet every 'box put into your car has the same problem, then there could be a problem elsewhere which affects any gearbox fitted to your particular car, eg mounting points out of line, clutch not functioning properly, etc....?
Hi JohnM,

You could be right and that is what I thought too as the title suggests. The reason I'm back to the gearbox is that the garage were able to reproduce the problem in a NEW car and they told me this. The Service Manager then described the problem as a 'characteristic' (yes he used the C word!) but then was honest
enough to say it was really a fault. The problem is worst when it is cold and I live in Edinburgh. The car I test drove seemed fine, but it was a hot summer Glasgow afternoon :-)

The problem seems to be specific to the six speed box that they fit to the diesel estates. This box comes from Renault vans, where it has also been problematic. I had a petrol courtesy car with the very loose 5 speed box which did not have the problem.

Anyway, as I suspected, I'm being fobbed off by Renault UK Customer Services who are telling me the car is fine again. But, the Service Manager thinks otherwise and is attempting to get a Renault tech sent out to give a final yes or no on the car as to whether or not it is a reject!

x2l
Hmm, I did 37k miles in 16 months in a Dec 51 1.9 diesel sport tourer with no problems with the gearchange - no crunching/baulking etc, so I would dispute that they all do that...
Good Luck! JohnM