Peugeot 309D Gearbox - pullgees
Can anyone tell me what are the symptoms of a worn diff on this vehicle. I've got a whirring rubbing noise that seems to be coming from the gearbox but it doesn't happen all the time. On a drive it will go away and then return later. There is oil in the gearbox.
Peugeot 309D Gearbox - DL
Oil leaks for a start.

Diffs don't go noisy - they often go bang and spit their innards out everywhere.

A 309 gearbox is going to cost more than the car is worth, surely? How old is it?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 309D Gearbox - Hawesy1982
I think im right in saying that it uses the same BE3 gearbox as the 306 and ZX, possibly 405 and Xantia too, and so if need be there will be plenty to be found in scrapyards countrywide. So it could be cost effective, assuming you intend to fit it yourself.
Okay that's good to hear, it doesn't see to be the diff then. The noise happened again today. When I put the car in neutral and coast along it goes away. When I go round a corner it dissappears as well. So I pulled up in the car park of my local store and hauled the steering wheel on full lock in both directions and now the noise stopped. Could some component occasionally drift or could a cv joint go out of alignment and by turning the wheels hard over, whatever is wandering centres up?
I had this complaint about six months so I changed the oil in the gearbox and put some Wynns in with the oil and the noise went away, but that could be just coincidence and have nothing at all to do with renewing the oil.
It's a blinking puzzle.
Yes, it will be the BE3 box, so I guess there will be many out there ready to fit if need be.
--
Peugeot 309D Gearbox - dieselhead

It's ur driveshafts outer joints imho..Could be wrong but early 309's used the BE 1/5 gearbox (reverse gear top left) and later cars used the BE 3 with reverse gear bottom right. In both cases it's the same box as fitted to 205/309 gti's and is very tough. Diffs don't usually fail unless they have been run low on oil. Used to rally 205's and the diffs never failed just synchro cones used to wear on 3rd gear.
Are there any 309's with the early box about? I thought they had all ended up in a large hole, somewhere in Devon?
--
Whatever it is, how can any component that caused this noise six months ago run fine for six months and then start complaining again?
Why does it go away out of gear? At the moment its gone. It just doesn't make sense.
Peugeot 309D Gearbox - dieselhead
>>>Whatever it is, how can any component that caused this noise six months ago run fine for six months and then start complaining again?
Why does it go away out of gear? At the moment its gone. It just doesn't make sense.

As guess I would say that the noise could be caused when pressure is applied between the driveshaft rollers and the roughened/pitted tracks that they run on. This causes vibration and noise when the pressure is high enough. Coasting in neutral the load transmitted by the shaft is so small that there isn't enough pressure at the contacts to cause the noise.

All the peugeot driveshaft failures I have seen the noise has been intermittent, sometimes disappearing for a few weeks then coming back often on a straight road at high speed as a high pitched 'squaking' noise. One theory is the joint heats up, the grease softens and gets centrifuged away from the joint surfaces - the resulting 'dry' un cushioned contact then causes the noise. As for the six months factor it could be changes in ambient temperature, driving pattern such as making extra long journeys.
Another fault is the circlip dropping out that retains the joint onto the splined shaft.

Thanks Dieselhead you seem to understand the symptoms and your right it starts up on a fast straight run and it sounds like a metal on metal noise. In the last six months I've done at least ten thousand miles on various roads without the problem reccuring even in the hot spell we had a few weeks ago. I have a very small hole in both outers gaitors of the drive shafts so I have obviously lost some grease but I would have had more grease on those joints six months ago when the noise started up again, after a period of silence lasting from the summer of 2003 when it first started. So you see this problem has been going on for a year now and since then I've replaced one drive shaft which was knocking
Regarding the gaitors I've just cleaned away the grease and smeared some Evostick over the tiny holes, hopefully will hold out until the MOT comes round soon, where I'll get them replaced.
Peugeot 205 Gearbox - Andrew-T

Dragging up this ancient thread ! Dieselhead reports wear on 3rd gear synchro - a 1.4-litre 205 I owned about 10 years back used to pop out of 3rd when not under load, and another similar car I got recently does the same thing. Does this indicate worn synchro, or might it be something else?