Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - NowWheels
"Special fast-track motorway lanes for car sharers are to be trialled to tackle congestion and pollution, the government is expected to announce."

The BBC has details of the leak (sorry, pre-announcement) at news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3864121.stm

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Altea Ego
Blow up rubber doll anyone?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Stuartli
The Americans have had such a system for many years. It does make sense if it is possible to find one or more people who a) go to and from the same places you do, b) you don't mind being driven by someone else and c) there's a close relationship between every participants' holiday arrangements, days off etc.

I use to share regularly in the 1980s and 1990s with two others and it proved a (generally) happy arrangement and help cut down motoring costs.

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - frostbite
Blow up rubber doll anyone?

Mine keeps letting me down.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Doc
How will it be enforced?
Will cameras be able to detect people in the rear seats, or through heavily tinted glass?

Every day I see drivers not wearing seat belts, or using mobile phones on the move-another case of the law being ignored because it is not adequately enforced.

How will it be enforced?
Will cameras be able to detect people in the rear seats,
or through heavily tinted glass?

A similar arrangement has been in place for several years on the western approach to Leeds. A chunk of the Stanningley bypass has what is called a "2+ lane" in the morning rush-hour.

I've no idea how well it works or how it is policed, cos I take care not to drive into Leeds at that time, but it might give some clues about possible enforcement techniques.

The Leeds council website has a page with some links at tinyurl.com/yrlzc
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Ben79
A similar arrangement has been in place for several years on
the western approach to Leeds. A chunk of the Stanningley bypass
has what is called a "2+ lane" in the morning rush-hour.
I've no idea how well it works or how it is
policed, cos I take care not to drive into Leeds at
that time, but it might give some clues about possible enforcement
techniques.

There is a police parking bay at the end of the 2+ road. The coppers sit in the car looking at the drivers coming down that road!
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - simonjl
A "2+" lane might be fine on a US freeway with 5 or 6 lanes either side in say LA, Houston etc. but in the UK cutting a 3 lane down to effectively 2 must be taking the michael!

Simon

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - No Do$h
What a load of b*******. HMG just want to continue their pathetic attempts at controlling our lives whilst failing to acknowledge that the biggest problem we have is overcrowding.

Personally I will make a point of flouting this pathetic "pilot" and will have my day in court if they catch me.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - BrianW
A "2+" lane might be fine on a US freeway with
5 or 6 lanes either side in say LA, Houston etc.
but in the UK cutting a 3 lane down to effectively
2 must be taking the michael!
Simon

No worse than cutting 2 lanes down to one with a bus lane (or no lanes at all when two buses stop opposite each other)
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Cliff Pope
I hope it's going to apply to buses too, and get the empty ones off the roads.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - BazzaBear {P}
>> A "2+" lane might be fine on a US freeway
with
>> 5 or 6 lanes either side in say LA, Houston
etc.
>> but in the UK cutting a 3 lane down to
effectively
>> 2 must be taking the michael!
>>
>> Simon
>>
No worse than cutting 2 lanes down to one with a
bus lane (or no lanes at all when two buses stop
opposite each other)

Surely the sensible thing, where they coincide, would be to just add carsharers to the bus-lane?
If that's what the plan is, then it's quite sensible. Everyone complains that the bus lanes are underused, so add another section of vehicles to the list of users.
Why do I get the feeling that's not how it's going to be done though?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - volvoman
How long's it going to be before someone sets up a business matching hitch-hikers and the like with frustrated motorway drivers?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Cardew
I am surprised they havent put a car-share lane next to the Bus/taxi lane on the M4 - it would be a double-whammy
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Cliff Pope
A problem with the car-share/hitch-hiker idea might be when they don't share the car for the whole journey. You might share a car for 99% of a 50 mile journey, and then drop the passenger off at a convenient point but get caught half a mile later. I'm thinking of the schemes where driver-only cars are banned or have to pay a penalty.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - volvoman
I should've added a :) to my post CP.

Mind you, it may not be such a bad idea :)
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Stargazer {P}
In Sydney they have transit lanes marked T2 or T3 where the number is the required number of people in the car to use the traffic lane. Only applies at certain times eg gone lane going into the city in the morning and one lane exiting the city in the evening. This is typically one lane of a total of 3 and is monitored by police patrol cars. Dont know how effective it is as when I used to visit Sydney I was commuting from a hotel in the city centre to the suberbs ie the opposite way to the flow of the traffic.

StarGazer
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - THe Growler
Sydney has had such a scheme for many years. Certainly it existed when I lived there. They would also open up opposite lanes for counterflow at peak times, e.g. over the Harbour Bridge.

Another thing we have where I live is, based on your plate number, you are banned at certain days and times of the week from using the road, but this ban doesn't apply if you have at least 3 in the car (ok ok no need for blow-up dolls, we can get the real thing here! - tic).

It seems to me that authorities could be much more creative in managing traffic volume, rather than sticking a congestion charge on everyone. But then of course that's easier and it doesn't require the mental pygmies who warm their bureaucratic seats to do much work while they're waiting for their pensions......plus it helps to fund them also.
How long's it going to be before someone sets up a
business matching hitch-hikers and the like with frustrated motorway drivers?

was just thinking abt that possibility! But it occurred to me that there would be an added twist to the usual match-up issues, 'cos the driver would have a much stronger interest in gaining a passenger.

Given the current shortage of hitch-hikers, it could lead to drivers choosing to pay people to accept a lift with them rather another driver. I can imagine the hitch-hikers signs saying "Birmingham please" being replaced with car-drivers carrying signs saying "£5 for me to take you direct to the door in central Brum" ... and someone upping the ante by offering a tenner to their passenger
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Mark (RLBS)
The 101 in the Bay Area has this system. Mostly it works pretty well but in the odd area where there are only three lanes and one of them is lost to a high usage lane, it does create a serious bottle neck.

Sinc emost of our motorways are three rather than for lane, I don't see it going to well.

Also, in the US there are a lot of police cars on the road enforcing the lane rather than just relying on cmaeras, which would make a difference.

The amercians are used to 4-way stops and turn right on red, netiher of which would work well here due to the different character of the driving habits.
Since most of our motorways are three rather than for lane,
I don't see it going to well.

The 2+ lane in Leeds is on a two-lane road, and the council claims it works fairly well. I guess it depends on a lot of factors such as the congestion level, traffic mix etc -- the Leeds example seems to be have devised as an alternative to a bus lane, because a bus-only lane would have been under-utilised.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Mark (RLBS)
Well, I'll wait and see, but I don't hold out much hope.

You know how every road we've got stops dead as soon as it has to reduce by a lane due to peoples inability to filter together.

I can just just see such wide spread abuse - will a camera be able to pick out a dummy as opposed to a real person ?

Why don't they just spend some serious money on some secure out of town car parks with a clean, efficient and safe type of public transport between the car park and town centre.

If they had an arrangement like they have for airports (long term carpaks with security and a shuttle bus) I for one would be mroe than happy to keep out of the centres.

If public transport was safer and cleaner I'd be more willing.

They're addressing symptons rather than problems as per usual.
Why don't they just spend some serious money on some secure
out of town car parks with a clean, efficient and safe
type of public transport between the car park and town centre.

I suspect that most folks would welcome that sort of solution, but it costs a huge lot of money. The UK has underinvested in infrastructure for decades, and without massive extra investment it's going to be very slow halt the decline, let alone improve things. Is there really public support for more taxes to pay for this?

Increases in general taxation (income tax, VAT etc) are unpopular, so maybe a longterm solution lies in the Parisian system where there is 2.4% payroll tax to fund public transport, and employers pay half their workers' farecards. To catch up on the investment backlog in the UK, the levy would have to be higher :(

But even with billions invested each year, there would still be a long lead-in time before we saw results. So part of the solution has to be using existing resources more effectively, such as this proposal for increased car occupancy and London efforts to prioritise buses.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - superannuated rocker
I totally agree with this. I have long maintained that we need joined up transport - for example the last motorway services on the M1 is right alongside the 'Bedpan' line. Why not build a much larger carpark on the adjoining land and put in a new station. punters can then dump their cars and train in to London. Many people don't live on bus routes any more (or the buses stop running early in the day) and need their cars for at least part of the journey and then need to be able to interchange with other means of transport without it costing a fortune.
Similiarly the proposal for car sharing. I live near High Wycombe and work in Slough, on occasion I may travel north with a colleague who may live in say Basingstoke. So where do we rendezvous and leave one car safely? Again some large 'transport interchange car parks' off motorways could serve several purposes. Many people do try to car share - next time you pass Junction 5 on M40 during a weekday just check how crowded the local laybys on the B4009 are.
As ever this kind of constructive proposal seems to be beyond the government, who only seem capable of putting obstacles in the way of people who at the end of the day are simply going about their lawful business. Yes I know it would cost money but surely it would earn the Government a few brownie points if they were seen to maintaining some sort of balance.
A few big carparks in that sort of location would really help ... as long as people don't expect that the trains are going to be upgraded immediately to make sure that everyone has a seat etc.

That would take a lot of sustained investment, much longer than it takes to build a few carparks. Unless the public is prepared to pay for the huge investments, then we're going to be stuck with devices like m'way HOV lanes to keep people moving. But I do agree that carparks such as that suggested could help facilitate car-sharing.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - frostbite
On the other hand...

If we're talking pollution, I heard a report the other day that claimed there was more pollution per train seat than per car seat - so where does that leave us?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - pdc {P}
Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council operate a web based car share scheme. I registered as a person who could give a lift to/from the Chorlton area of Manchester last November. I had one person contact me, but the times I commute (0700 and 1600) were not suitable to him.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - just a bloke
How long's it going to be before someone sets up a
business matching hitch-hikers and the like with frustrated motorway drivers?

apparently in the states these schemes are 'abused' by drivers who hire students to sit in their car for the journey. :-)

JaB

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - patently
Is there any evidence that this will actually change people's habits?

It strikes me that there are two possible outcomes:

1. People start sharing cars. Car numbers drop. Congestion reduces. We all get there more quickly.

Or:

2. Those who were going to travel with more than one in the car anyway will feel smug and receive invisible brownie points from HMG for doing the politically correct thing. However, as the congestion will be the same, their journey will take just as long. Those who have to travel alone will have to choose between arriving even later becuase they can't get past lane-hoggers or arriving at the same time as before but with real live license points from HMG.

As this has been tried elsewhere, the evidence should be there. Does anyone hold out any hope that HMG will rely on it, or can we assume that they'll just announce another source of fines, wave their hands generally in the direction of a superficially obvious benefit, and question the credibility of anyone who criticises it?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - A Dent{P}
1. People start sharing cars. Car numbers drop.
Congestion reduces. We all get there more quickly.

Congestion reduces. Not necessarily.

To car share effectively the driver makes an extra urban journey to pick up the passenger (usually). That can exacerbate the school run problem locally.
To car share effectively the driver makes an extra urban journey
to pick up the passenger (usually). That can exacerbate the school
run problem locally.

Good point, A. (may I call you that?)

Another example of why schemes that seem superficially attractive are not necessarily actually beneficial.
To car share effectively the driver makes an extra urban journey
to pick up the passenger (usually). That can exacerbate the school
run problem locally.

Depends on the relative locations of the homes and the school, but in most cases the overall car mileage is reduced significantly. In nearly every case it will reduce congestion at the pinch-point outside the school
the overall car mileage is reduced significantly

Yes, granted, but at the expense of more local traffic in general.

And on my journey to work, all the congested bits are on the local roads. The trunk roads & motorways are usually relatively clear.

And, of course, the local roads are the ones along which children are walking to school. I thought we wanted to keep cars away from them? ;-)
In nearly every case it will reduce congestion at the pinch-point outside the school

Only if schoolchildren car-share. But I thought the proposal was to impose "2 plus" lanes on trunk roads & motorways? How many school runs use these roads? Some, admittedly, but enough to have a noticeable benefit?

I'm sure the reasoning will be quite good enough for HMG, though.
>> the overall car mileage is reduced significantly
And on my journey to work, all the congested bits are on the
local roads. The trunk roads & motorways are usually relatively clear.

patently, you're being mischievious again! You've conflated the school run scenario with commuting :)

On the school run, the distance is usually nearly all local -- so miles saved are miles of local traffic. Even in the least favourable scenario I can come up with, there is simply reduced gain, rather than a loss (see below)

Most commuters are heading into to cities, the opposite of your escape to the countryside. On city-bound journeys, congestion gets worse as you get closer to the destination.

----

Worst-case scenario for two-child liftshare: mother of child A, located x miles from school, gives lift to child of mother B, who is Y miles in opposite direction.

Her outward journey is Y to collect child B, Y back to her own house, so X+2Y; the return home is X, so total is 2X+2Y

If both mothers drive their own child, then mother A does 2X miles, while mother B does 2X+2Y. Total car miles is 4X+2Y

So the lift-share always saves 2X miles, plus saving pollution from a second cold-started car.
No, you are being mischievous.

Your original post:

"Special fast-track motorway lanes for car sharers are to be trialled" (my emphasis)

You justify these by showing the benefits of car-sharing on the school run. I don't see many shoolchildren in cars on the motorway. It's not me who is busy conflating!

Errr...

Granted, my commute is unusual. The proposed lanes will apply to me, too, though, else they won't catch people returning home.
Most commuters are heading into to cities, the opposite of your escape

Oxford was a city, last time I checked!
No, you are being mischievous.
Your original post:
"Special fast-track motorway lanes for car sharers are to be trialled" (my emphasis)
You justify these by showing the benefits of car-sharing on the
school run. I don't see many shoolchildren in cars on
the motorway. It's not me who is busy conflating!

Sorry, I was responding to the introduction of the school run into the equation. I guess we both got sidetracked!

However, I think that similar calculations apply to any local congestion caused by commuters sharing cars (but I'd be happy to be proved wrong). The only situation I can see where it causes increased local traffic is where a sideways journey for the pickup exceeds the local journey saved by not using a second car.
Oxford was a city, last time I checked!

sorry, I must be getting confused here. I thought you'd said a few wks ago that your office was in a small village with no shops
>> Oxford was a city, last time I checked!
sorry, I must be getting confused here. I thought you'd said
a few wks ago that your office was in a small
village with no shops

Yes, but on t'other side of Oxford. Oxford's congestion affects me.
However, I think that similar calculations apply to any local congestion
caused by commuters sharing cars (but I'd be happy to be
proved wrong). The only situation I can see where it causes
increased local traffic is where a sideways journey for the pickup
exceeds the local journey saved by not using a second car.

You're confusing the global and the local picture.

The point (I think) was that carsharing does indeed reduce the overall mileage, as your algebra so clearly showed. However, it may increase the amount of rat-running around the local area before the then laden cars embark on their long journey to distant parts. Hence there is an effect on the school run and a detriment to the formerly healthy children walking to school.

We can't (here) reach a final conclusion on the merits*, but the argument was to show that the overall effect of a scheme is not straightforward to predict, and that apparently "good" ideas are thus not always necessarily so.

*and therefore I will shut up now. Cue cheers amongst Broomers far and wide.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Dalglish

>>

patently are you not forgetting the one journey less that the 2nd person will be making locally?

as for traffic congestion/reduction on these high-occupancy lane roads, maybe people who have the 2plus passengers in the car anyway will have an incentive to move over to the "fast" lane and thereby make more room for the single-occupant cars in the other lanes? ! ;-) !

Does anyone hold out any hope that HMG will rely
on it, or can we assume that they'll just announce another
source of fines, wave their hands generally in the direction of
a superficially obvious benefit, and question the credibility of anyone who
criticises it?

>>

This is interesting, as I was having a conversation with someone from Toronto the other day about the London Congestion Charges. They know all about these in Toronto, their government are seriously looking into doing a similar thing, and are keeping a very close eye on the London situation.
Did you know that the London CC is an utterly resounding success? London's traffic problems have been solved. The city is now more pedestrian friendly, and even the drivers are happier because there is more parking, and it is easier to get around the city.
That's what the Toronto public are being told. What's the betting we'll get the same unbiased view of car-share lanes from our government?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - v0n
Well, if they agree that majority of the drivers on motorway travel alone then why not help majority instead of minority? Who's to say that chauffer driven Jaguar or two crewmen VANs should have faster way of passage to the city than single Joe Nobody in Mondeo. It's just like buslanes in suburbs. 10 mile long queue of cars so almost empty chain of numer 2 doubledeckers can have longer break by the supermarket. Healthy priority. Obviously those that have time to travel by bus at 2 p.m must have more important businesses to attend than those who came all the way in cars. Don't they?

And why is it that we just pick up these dumbest of ideas and throw money at them instead of simply building more roads and motorways? Or maybe there a data that says number of cars will self reduce in the next years that we don't know about?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - BrianW
If Ken or somebody really wanted to sort out congestion in London they would start with the traffic lights.
Decide which are they main routes and phase the light so that traffic travelling at the speed limit will have a green light each time: secondary advantage, makes it pointless exceeding the speed limit so all those Metal Mickeys can be got rid of.
Make the pedestrian crossing phase of the lights activated by the pedestrian pressing a button: no pedestrians=no traffic delay but the pedestrians get a fair crack of the whip when necessary.

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Singer-G
Well, if they agree that majority of the drivers on motorway
travel alone then why not help majority instead of minority?

If a few more of us share cars there will be fewer cars on the road, so this does help the majority of drivers. Its also good for the environment. However, I agree that nicking the hard shoulder is a daft idea.

This could be trialled on the M4, by opening up that stupid bus lane for cars with 2 or more occupants.
>> Does anyone hold out any hope that HMG will
rely
>> on it, or can we assume that they'll just announce
another
>> source of fines, wave their hands generally in the direction
of
>> a superficially obvious benefit, and question the credibility of anyone
who
>> criticises it?
>>
This is interesting, as I was having a conversation with someone
from Toronto the other day about the London Congestion Charges. They
know all about these in Toronto, their government are seriously looking
into doing a similar thing, and are keeping a very close
eye on the London situation.
Did you know that the London CC is an utterly resounding
success? London's traffic problems have been solved. The city is
now more pedestrian friendly, and even the drivers are happier because
there is more parking, and it is easier to get around
the city.
That's what the Toronto public are being told. What's the betting
we'll get the same unbiased view of car-share lanes from our
government?

Now I would happily commute to the London you're talking about...
could you just tell me where it is please?

JaB
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - martint123
I saw a note in one of the papers that there is a possibility to pay a fee to use the 2+ lane for a one-up driver. Now this starts to smell of stealth taxing again - seems in the USA these are called Lexus lanes.

Martin
pay a fee to use the 2+ lane for a one-up driver

Now I understand....

And it's been "pre-announced"...

Estimated implementation date = general election + 1 week.
Now I would happily commute to the London you're talking about...
could you just tell me where it is please?
JaB

If I remember correctly it's reached by flying towards the second star on the right, straight on til morning.
Or, conceivably, it can be found in the head of a Canadian government official.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Dalglish
some posts above have asked how the scheme would be policed?

i guess it would work on the same principles that most laws work:

most law-abiding people will obey it, you do not need 100% to obey the rules. in some cases just 50% can produce enormous benefits.

some people will disobey it all the time, and may occasionally get caught but still get away with it, or maybe sometimes pay a penalty.

or, as with speeding, many will exceed the limit at some point in their journey bu hope not to get caught.

in the real world case of the cities where it has been tested, it seems that the scheme is self-policing because other drivers who are gaining/losing make their displeasure clear.

you just need to do a few calculations with various assumed proportion of single-occupant cars obeying the rules to work out at which point the scheme can be considered a success and whether it helps all traffic flow.
Don't worry about the number of lanes being reduced by this proposal. I heard this morning that Darling wants to use the hard shoulder for these lanes.

Is he mad?

This means that the fastest lane, nipping past the congested singly-occupied vehicles, is going to be on the inside. What happens when someone breaks down and pulls over? IIRC, you don't usually have a lot of leeway in choosing your merge onto the hard shoulder when you have a dead engine. Once there, you are a sitting duck for the 70mph traffic bearing down on you.

What happens when they reach a junction?
This whole proposal is just so much political hogwash.
it's an effort by this Gov to be seen to be doing something... anything to take our minds off the awful mess they've made of many things and their total lack of having done anything about it.
Here in a nutshell is why it was announced..

1) Gordon Brown will be giving his spending review, it will show most of the transport budget has gone on the railway.

2) The following week there is to be a by-election in the midlands ( I can't remember the seat sorry) but it is hoped they will take note of said scheme and will vote accordingly.

JaB

Hi patently, I do agree that losing the hard shoulder is a worrying idea (to put it mildly), but if you read the original BBC report it says that the fastest lane will remain on the outside.

"The first UK schemes are likely to be introduced where roads are already being widened, or the hard shoulder will be opened to create an extra lane.
The fast lanes of motorways would then be set aside for high-occupancy vehicles.

Yes, but the BBC report is just one report. This morning's radio strongly suggested the hard shoulder would be the 2plus lane.

Frightening. Truly frightening. It's as if they know nothing about motoring. Almost as if the chancellor didn't have a driving licence and the rest of them were ferried about in chauffer-driven Jags. Two of them, sometimes.
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Singer-G
"fast lanes" ?

If there's 2 of you in the car is the speed limit doubled?
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Badger
My chauffeur tells me he can see no problem.
My chauffeur tells me he can see no problem.

Suggest you get a new one. The dark glasses and white stick should have given him away, surely!
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - daveyjp
I live within half a mile of the Stanningley 2+ lane in Leeds and although I do not use the road often during the designated 2+ hours of 7.30am-10am and 4-7pm (I think), on the odd occasion I have used it have noticed:

Plenty of cars with one person in use the lane - the Council only received funding for the lane to be policed for six months following it opening so I can only assume the 'Police' layby is now very underutilised!

There is a no left turn which operates during the 2+ operation hours to prevent anyone using the 2+ lane illegally darting left if they see the police. This is about halfway down the route and plenty of cars still turn left.

A car with a driver and a baby on board is classed as 2+ therefore cameras wouldn't work.

Using the 2+ lane probably takes no more than 2 minutes off the journey in to Leeds. The traffic still backs up where the dual carriageway ends and goes back to single carriageway - I lose more time at the Armley Gyratory where the lights are red for 2 minutes and green for just 20 seconds!

A number of shops on the route have now closed down as single users will not use the 2+ lane to allow them to get to the shops parking area for fear of being caught. The 2+ lane is on the inside and moves quicker so getting from stand still in the single user lane to the 2+ lane to get to the shops when they area reached looks to be a hairy manouver. The safest way is to drive in the 2+ lane for a few hundred yards.

There are plenty of alternative routes to avoid this part of road altogether.

It looks like a nice sustainable idea and the journey to Leeds has reduced for those in the 2+ lane, but not enough to convince me to catch the bus!

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - Sofa Spud
It's one of those things that sounds like a good idea in theory, until one tries it out in practice.

Sofa Spud
Plan for 'car-share fast lanes' - innocent
This 'trial' is supposed to be happening from where I usually join the motorway... can't say that I'm thrilled.

I know this may sound selfish, but I intend to use all of the lanes that I'm paying to keep maintained. It's a stupid idea, in huge countries such as Australia and America everyone using these schemes lives in the suburbs and commutes into the major towns and cities the same way, plus when they arrive there they are greeted by decent public transport for the rest of their journey.

It just doesn't work like that in the UK, especially in Surrey where people are commuting in every possible direction and the majority of commuters to Central London catch the train as there isn't any realistic alternative. You'd have to have people car sharing for part of the trip, then getting out and thumbing a lift for the rest of their journey into work because no one can take them all the way without going on a detour, which would make traffic worse anyway.

Also, how does the traffic law apply to these lanes? Undertaking would become a serious issue no matter what lane is used for the scheme. As people have said earlier, the money should be going into station carparks and park and ride schemes to ease congestion. Also I think that it's the little things that can make the biggest difference, such as restricting the use of lanes that large, slow vehicles and caravans etc. can use during the rush hour.