What's the point of the MAF? - No Do$h
The MAF has failed on my 156JTD (covered by warranty - yippee!)

The garage advised that the simplest diagnosis for this is to disconnect the MAF and see if I got my acceleration back. This worked, so a new MAF has been ordered for fitting this week. The technician at the garage mentioned that no harm would come to the car if it were driven in this way for a few days.

Since the car is driving superbly "MAFless", what on earth is the point of the thing? What does it actually do? Am I going to find I have superb performance and a hole in my wallet as gallon after gallon of diesel vanishes through the injectors over the next couple of days?
What's the point of the MAF? - Aprilia
It provides 'feedforward' information to the engine management system about the air demand of the engine. This is needed for both stead-state air-fuel ratio calculation and also transient situations (opening/closing throttle). It should drive even better when you get the new one fitted.
What's the point of the MAF? - No Do$h
It provides 'feedforward' information to the engine management system about the
air demand of the engine. This is needed for both
stead-state air-fuel ratio calculation and also transient situations (opening/closing throttle).
It should drive even better when you get the new one
fitted.

Cheers Aprilla. I get the impression it has been "wonky" since day one, as the throttle response at present is the best it's ever been. Can't wait for the new part to be fitted!