Another Question For Dr Aprilia - Paul Robinson
I'm not sure to what extent you may be able to answer this, but in your profile you include that you do consultancy for GM. Are you able to make any comments about the 2.0 and 2.2 DTi engines in the Vectra II and question of oil consumption?

Regards

Paul
Another Question For Dr Aprilia - Aprilia
No, I have not had any dealings at all with this engine, nor do I have any 'inside information'. My only comment is that there is no good reason why any manufacturer would design an engine to have high oil consumption (not least because of the impact on emissions). I suspect high oil consumption is therefore unintended and most likely arises due to production tolerances or some other manufacturing problem (I will not use the word 'issue'!!).
Another Question For Dr Aprilia - Paul Robinson
Thank you for your reply. My interest was more from the point of view of - are these reports of high oil consumption an unfortunate minority of cases, or is it accepted in the engineering world as a 'feature' of these units. I ask as we have the possibility of having one for sometime, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to make other arrangements!