This Nanny State - Fullchat
Have just completed a 2 day Motorway refresher course. This is where you learn the art of closing motorways for the maximum ammount of time at the most inconveniant time of day with the sole purpose of cheesing off the greatest ammount of motorists for no reason at all!!

During the classroom period the trainer showed a number of short video clips which he had obtained from various sources, of road safety adverts from different countries. It soon became apparant that Ireland and Australia pull no punches when it comes to trying to get the message across.

One particular clip was based around father and small children playing in garden. It then switches to male playing football and then going for a beer after the match. On his way home he has to swerve, clips the kerb and barrel rolls through the garden fence and wipes out a child. The child was positioned between the camera and the fence as the car came through.

The impact on the class was phenominal I have never seen such a reaction from a group that has seen it all.

Apparantly it has not been allowed to be shown on English TV. A great pity!

Fullchat
This Nanny State - Collos25
Totally agree,In Germany if there is a road accident report on the news they think nothing of showing you the mangled and dead bodies.The item in question shows that it even the smallest amount of alchohol is a detriment to to safe driving,and with the total lack of police patrols in my area it seems that you can drink and drive as much as you like.
This Nanny State - Stuartli
I heard of a very similar type of approach, this time with regard to smoking - the film showed the condition of a youngish smoker's lungs in full detail and colour.

At least one person who saw it gave up cigarettes on the spot....

Anyway you shouldn't be drinking and driving as much as you like..:-)

I presume you mean you "could" rather than you "can"...:-)))
This Nanny State - Collos25
correct
This Nanny State - NowWheels
In the late 80s, I was standing about 20 feet away from a man who was hit by a car, and I saw the whole thing in slow motion.

The pedestrian was being very careless, but the situation was exacerbated the driver doing well over 30 across a London bridge.

But however anyone apprortions blame, I'll never forget the sight of the mangled man on the road with blood pouring out of his mouth, or the massive damage to the car. The brunt of the impact was taken by the nearside A-pillar, which was bent like a hoop, and the car's door was mangled and popped outwards.

The driver was utterly shattered: his face was a picture of horror and terror. To his credit, his response was absolutely brilliant: got us passers-by to quickly take his car details and offered some ID documents before rushing off to the nearby hospital to get an ambulance (this was before many folks had mobile phones). But I doubt that the picture of what happened will ever leave him.

Meanwhile, the injured man's companions just disintegrated, and howled a sort of primal scream
This Nanny State - Mapmaker
There are about 6 lanes that cross the Thames in London in each direction. Yet cyclists persist in using them.

This is not a cylist-bashing observation, merely that having once cycled over Tower Bridge (half way - I got off as I could stand it no longer) that any cyclist cycling over a London Bridge is likely to be bashed by a car.

They are phenomenally dangers.
There are about 6 lanes that cross the Thames in London
in each direction. Yet cyclists persist in using them.

How else are cyclists going to cross the river?
This Nanny State - Mapmaker
Push their bikes. At least they'll manage to cross the river. That's the way I get my bicycle over the river in London.

The death rate for cyclists on London bridges is horrific.

If it's dangerous, don't do it if you value your life.
Push their bikes. At least they'll manage to cross the river.
That's the way I get my bicycle over the river in London.

I've done that journey myself for a while, and I agree it's pretty horrific. The problem is that an awful lot of London is pretty lethal for cyclists, and I don't think that the bridges are the most dangerous bit.

There's a lot that needs to be done to make London safe for cyclists.
This Nanny State - Bromptonaut
There are about 6 lanes that cross the Thames in London
in each direction. Yet cyclists persist in using them.
This is not a cylist-bashing observation, merely that having once cycled
over Tower Bridge (half way - I got off as I
could stand it no longer) that any cyclist cycling over a
London Bridge is likely to be bashed by a car.
They are phenomenally dangers.

Mapmaker, are you referring to London Bridge or to the Thames Bridges generally?

I can't comment on the former, but don't find Waterloo too much of a problem (though the IMAX roundabout is a challenge). The recent fatality on Blackfriars occurred on a bus lane which defied both commonsense and published guidance. Predictably it has now been removed.

Is your later comment about the bridges being heavy for cyclist fatalities based on published stats or is it just assertion?
This Nanny State - J Bonington Jagworth
"not been allowed to be shown on English TV"

Amazing, isn't it? I heard Brunstrom on the radio banging on about the "undisputed" benefits of speed cameras and then admitting/complaining that they weren't actually reducing the number of deaths, yet an item like this might actually have an immediate effect. When you consider what passes for entertainment on TV, you do wonder why the state is so squeamish...
This Nanny State - Robin
The ad with the the child was shown on one of those Tarrant on TV type programsme a year or more ago. I can still remember it clearly, especially the bit where the child's father picks him up. Very powerful and exactly the sort of stuff they show regularly.
This Nanny State - patently
Within limits, yes.

There is however a reasonable argument that some will notunderstand the context or the level of risk. For a good while, our young son would shout from the back that we were about to crash if someone pulled out from a side road a mile ahead. He could be severely traumatised if he saw an advert like that. He is an extreme example (age=5) but the point holds.

After 9pm (or whatever), yes we should have them. That way, we can see what an accident is like without having to wait until we witness one for ourselves, as NoWheels had to.
This Nanny State - MickF
The graphic versions of these ads are not shown here in Ireland until after the watershed at 9.00pm, although there is a cut, less gory, version shown before then.

There is an even more horrific ad showing a young guy bouncing around a back seat during an accident while not wearing a seatbelt in the rear of the car, and killing his friends in the process.

Sadly though, even with this forceful type of message, road deaths continue to rise here.
This Nanny State - Malcolm_L
The ad is graphic but when compared to Vin Diesel films it's positively passé, traffic density is N.I. is much less than the mainland - open fast roads don't help.

Having said that I'm far more aware of more road traffic police in Northern Ireland.
Normally see at least one camera van between Belfast and Newry on the A1, often as not 2, plus a large helping of traffic cops.

This Nanny State - Dwight Van Driver
So Full Chat, then what is the Corporate message justifying long closures?

Ok we know about Murder scene protection treatment per ACPO but as a number of vehicles will have been through the scene, more so on Motorways, then that much contamination has taken place to render scene protection pointless.

Immediate area yes but allow single line traffic etc to get people moving again?

Just wondering?

DVD
This Nanny State - Fullchat
DVD

The main thrust of the course was Health and Safety and basically a refresher (Corporate back covering) as to the ins and outs of working on designated "Motorways" (that also includes duals). It encompasses road closure, total and partial, and rolling roads.
There is no corporate message in the Standard National Motorway Manual for Police Officers but basically if there is a "scene" it has to be protected and made into a safe working enviroment. As to how that is done is up to the Officer in Charge.
What I would say is that whilst some of the Great British Motoring public are at large no scene is safe unless they are totally excluded. They never cease to amaze. TV manages to put whole programmes together with footage of their antics.

Fullchat
This Nanny State - BobbyG
The advert you are referring to was once shown on Chris Tarrants late night TV clips show. I agree, it was very very strong, but certainly hit home with me and my wife.

We both were very taken aback by his brutality and honesty.
This Nanny State - SjB {P}
Is this the same Nanny State that wouldn't let me fill my own cup with hot water, to make a cup of tea after donating blood today? Yup, 'rules' meant I had to wait, and wait, and wait, for the admin officer to spend two seconds holding down the tap on the tea urn for me! What a pathetic State (intended) of affairs.

This Nanny State - BobbyG
Just given blood, could feel a wee bit light headed, pouring hot water... burn yourself.... run to a no-win no-fee lawyer, get huge payout!!!

Alternatively, just enjoy the wee bit of peace and enjoy someone serving you a cup of tea!
This Nanny State - Chicken Madras
Talking of giving blood, I'm still seething about not being allowed to donate any more as I've had a transfusion since 1980. I donated as a thank you to those who saved my life. It is all an utter farce!
This Nanny State - THe Growler
Same here, last week volunteered in response to a local drive.

Got tattoos, so was turned down. Huh?

Told 'em I'd had to pass the AIDS test to get my residence visa otherwise I wouldn't be here but oh no it was their policy. Let's hope their policy holds up next time someone shows up in need of some A+.
This Nanny State - Stargazer {P}
Same here, refused because I travel regularly through suspect countries for various infectious diseases (malaria, yellow fever) and can almost guarantee doing this at least once a year. For example staying an hour in Singapore or Bangkok airport on route to Oz. I am honest and declare this and I get turned down straight away. Despite regularly getting letters to donate as I have a slightly unusual blood group.

Ian L