Car recommendations please - NigelFN
Hi there,

Please could I get your opinions on a forthcoming car purchase.

We need to replace a 190E (E reg - 1986 - had from new, now time to move on, sadly) with something capable of the following:

Three children side by side in the back (with car seats - 7, 4 and baby).
Adjustable steering column for tall driver.
Automatic.
Solid and well built.
Air Conditioning.

We have around £3,000 to spend (I know, maybe give suggestions on up to £4,000).

Our other car is a Volvo 850 Estate, which is a bit dated inside, but we like it.

We have considered another Volvo, a BMW 5-Series, possibly another Merc (with adjustable column) or a Skoda Octavia / Superb (that one I need to get past the wife!)

Suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, Nigel.
Car recommendations please - Happy Blue!
No question for that sort of money - Citroen Berlingo, Renault Kangoo or (maybe too young) Fiat Doblo. Loads of space. Renault has auotmatic but possibly hard to find. Nissan Serena? Mitsubishi Space Wagon - see the 'some help with a tight situation' thread today.

Sorry, forgot how to hyperlink to other threads....

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Car recommendations please - Stuartli
All that for £3,000 (perhaps up to £4,000) or with part exchanging the others?

If you've been used to a Merc and a Volvo, I'm afraid the run of the mill French offerings mentioned are unlikely to leave you feeling better off because of their "solid and well built" approach...:-)

A BMW 5 Series from the just replaced 1990s model era is a superb car and a 523i (actually a 2.5-litre) petrol is virtually as quick as the 528i and just as satisfying to drive.
Car recommendations please - Kevin
In that price range, take a look at the Vauxhall Omega.

Kevin...
Car recommendations please - Aprilia
In that price range, take a look at the Vauxhall Omega.
Kevin...

Kevin, the £3000 is to buy the car with, not for the repairs... ;-)
Car recommendations please - MichaelR
98 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X Auto.

Good reliability (Thought I must admit I know nothing of the reliability of the autobox), air conditioning, full leather interior, cruise control, trip computer, heated electric seats, etc etc, plenty of room, nice to drive, and within budget.
Car recommendations please - Happy Blue!
At the risk of the mods complaining, I'm advertising my fathers Honda Accord in the Classified's section of BR.

Might meet your requirements?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Car recommendations please - NigelFN
Thanks for notifying me, Espada.

Unfortunately, a bad experience of Hondas (or perhaps an experience of a bad Honda) a few years ago mean that it is not on my list.

Many thanks for everyones suggestions, I think I'll be looking on the 'old BMW' route - any other comments on these lines welcomed.

Cheers,