New Golf - Turbodog
Any good?
Looking to replace a Merc C-class sports coupe (v unsatisfactory-not recommended)
I read disappointing sales (in rest of Europe if not UK) and mediocre reviews. Sat in one and have to say was a bit underwhelmed.
But I've got a 5 year old Passat (1.8T) which has been brilliant, and drives as well as ever after 80K miles.
Or maybe an A3....
New Golf - kenl
I've got a new Golf and so far am very impressed by it.

I am intrigued that you thought it got mediocre reviews, where did you read those? What Car COTY and a great review by Honest John spring to mind as good reviews.

New Golf - arnold2
kenl - what's the interior quality like ? Have to say I haven't sat in one yet, but most of the negative reviews point to some cheap/wobbly parts in the interior, allied to rather high initial dealer prices. That said, if you want cheap plastics, go sit in a Focus ! All the reviews seems to praise the ride/handling, tho...
New Golf - Nortones2
Sat in one recently. It wasn't as good as the previous Golf, on a superficial level, e.g. it didn't have the slush-moulded facia cappings etc. However, it also lacked the fairground-glitter of Vauxhalls and Fords. To some eyes the Golf interior could be dull, but I can live without metallised plastic!
New Golf - kenl
I know a lot of people say it is down on the mkIV but I like it. There is a lot of hard plastics but the bits you come into contact with are fine - would highly recommend the leather steering wheel (£125 option) as the standard one is not very nice. Seats are extremely comfortable (I have 1.6FSI SE)

The ride/handling is fantastic in my view. I did change from a smaller car though.
New Golf - Turbodog
I seem to remember Clarksons original review in the ST was very luke-warm, and one of the columnists in Car magazine was very scathing, saying it lacked any flair and there were areas of obvious cost cutting which weren't there in the Mark IV (esp the interior)
I like VW/Audi interiors, even if some call them sombre.
New Golf - Citroënian {P}
Depends how much of a hurry you're in, but the new BMW 1 series comes in September.

Sorry I've not got any specific Golf info, but it looks very dull and Clarkson on Sunday seemed to recommend the Astra over it.

Lee
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
New Golf - Stuartli
I've got a VW Bora - based on the MkIV Golf - which has stunning build quality and a classy interior built to traditional VW standards.

I know from two previous VWs, a 1989 and 1990 Jetta, that the interiors stand up to any punishment (including the dog) and the Bora is several leagues ahead of these.

However, it's been made clear in tests and reviews that the MkV Golf's interior has had certain parameters trimmed (no pun intended) to save costs where possible, which surprises me in view of new Golf prices.

VW interiors have always looked sombre (rather than dull) due to the fact that they are built to very high standards - I can live with that rather than some other marques' cheap plastics, bright colours and a scruffy appearance within a year or so of buying.

New Golf - arnold2
Has anyone driven the 'lesser' versions - the 105 bhp 1.9tdi and 1.4 FSI engines ?
New Golf - kenl
No-one actually listens to a word Clarkson says about any cars do they?
New Golf - NowWheels
I think he's actually well-worth reading.

Very difft approach from, e.g., Setright -- much more concerned to increase his impact by being provocative. But amidst the fireworks, there is actually an awful lot of very thoughtful observation.

New Golf - Stuartli
I've enjoyed dinner with LJS on a number of occasions - fascinating man.
New Golf - Marc
The chap who does the car style page on the back of the Telegraph Motoring supplement commented on the new Golf interior. He said the seat fabric on the car he tested had started to bobble after only a couple of hundred miles. Not acceptable IMO

If I remember rightly.
New Golf - Happy Blue!
Ahhhh Leonard J K Setright, apart from possibly George Bishop, I can't think of another motoring journo who I would really want to spend time with and sadly George has been dead a few years.

LJKS gave me some excellent advice about what tyres to use on a Honda 4WS several years ago. He was spot on.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?