Golf II 2 door seat - Al Civic
Hi does any one know if it is possible to get access to the seat lift mechanism inside the seat back?
One of the cables has popped off its linkage. It does not look accessable with out cutting into the back of the seat.
thanks
Al
Golf II 2 door seat - BB
You should have a look at the covers to see how they are attached on. If I remember correctly, the Mk II Golf seat has a draw string type fastening method around the bottom of the squab. This will have to be cut. The seat cover should be hog ringed onto the foam (hog ring is something that does the same job as a cable tie.)
Using snips, brak the hogring and take the cover off, the foam should then slide off the seat frame. You then have access to the deployment link.

To refit, (as you dont have a hog ring gun), use cable ties to connect the seat cover to the wire that is inside of the foam.

Something to note is that you may develop an annoying squeak once the foam has been put back onto the frame. To ensure this doesn't happen, try and use some light cotton material to wrap round the seat frame (ensure that it is very thin) before you put the foam back on.

Or, go to the scrapyard and get a used one!

Hope this helps. If you manage to get any further, but need more help, keep posting.
Golf II 2 door seat - Al Civic
HI BB

Fairly precise instructions just what i needed.
getting a match may be difficult at a scrappy so ill try this first.
thanks Al
Golf II 2 door seat - Robert Fleming
You can take the seat back off fairly easily - it's 'hooked' into place, simply bend the hooks back at the bottom. It's easier if you take the seat back out completely. Trim is held in place with almost invisible push out pins, seat held in place with a metal circlip on each side.

I took a cable from the scrappy, from the passenger side of a car. I'm not saying you should slit the back of a seat open for easy access, but if the doberman's not looking...

Rob